Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices and Electronics Theory > Troubleshooting Laptops, Portable, and Mobile Devices
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2016, 04:01 AM   #941
Philly Cheese Steak
Member
 
Philly Cheese Steak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
City & State: NEW YORK OR TAXLAND
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 93
Default Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Hey all,
To keep me busy when not working I buy used motherboards with bad CPU pins to fix. Long story short I lolled when I saw this board and it's issue, look next to the CPU socket(towards the I/O) to find the TEC chip.
Asus Maximus IV Extreme
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-MAXIMUS...3D222217845967
Might pick it up, if I didn't have so many projects already.
__________________
SB-E 3930K
Asus X79-Deluxe
Asus 2X GTX 780 Ti DCII
Gskill 16GBRip JAWS@2400
Intel 520'S Raid 0
Corsair AX1200

Last edited by Philly Cheese Steak; 08-19-2016 at 04:02 AM..
Philly Cheese Steak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:04 PM   #942
muib
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
City & State: Jlorin state
My Country: Nigeria
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 4
Default Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
Just fixed one Satellite A300. This is caused by a bad cap. A big one - NEC/TOKIN 0E907 (900uF/2.5V) under the CPU. Mine had 900uF but probably lost some of its magic, resulting in >100mV ripple on CPU power. Adding 1x 100uF and 5x 10uF ceramic caps fixed the problem.
can you help me with my toshiba c855, am having the same problem and i was unable to detect the nec tokey on the motherboard
muib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:14 PM   #943
muib
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
City & State: Jlorin state
My Country: Nigeria
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 4
Default Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

i am having problem with my toshiba c855, it always restarts after 5minutes if working, i have tried all the over heating stuff, replaced the hardisk and the ram but the problem still persist, plz i need your help
muib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:14 AM   #944
zetabo
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
City & State: London
My Country: United Kingdom
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 2
Default Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Big thanks for this thread !

I managed to fix my L350 myself with a really awful iron.

I used 4 330uf Panasonic Capacitor (2R5TPE330MF)

Final result, a bit ugly but 100% working !

zetabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:26 PM   #945
jeremykum
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
City & State: Ipoh. Perak
My Country: Malaysia
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 84
Default Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Actually 330uf x 4pcs isn't really sufficient in value, since OE907 new measured with ESR meter show almost 1300uf.

Now 470uf tantalum low ESR is easily available, 4pcs of these last a long time before need to replace it again.


Quote:
Originally Posted by zetabo View Post
Big thanks for this thread !

I managed to fix my L350 myself with a really awful iron.

I used 4 330uf Panasonic Capacitor (2R5TPE330MF)

Final result, a bit ugly but 100% working !

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Still001.jpg (402.5 KB, 30 views)
__________________
Mainly repair laptops, sometimes LCD/LED monitors. Also accepts changing/reballing/reflow BGA job request.
jeremykum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:13 PM   #946
zetabo
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
City & State: London
My Country: United Kingdom
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 2
Default Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremykum View Post
Actually 330uf x 4pcs isn't really sufficient in value, since OE907 new measured with ESR meter show almost 1300uf.

Now 470uf tantalum low ESR is easily available, 4pcs of these last a long time before need to replace it again.
Alright, thanks, good to know.

If it happens again, it will be much easier next time now the nec tokin has been removed.
Hopefully I will have a better iron next time as well. I'm a total beginner.
zetabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:43 AM   #947
alderick
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
City & State: troyes
My Country: france
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 7
Default Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Hi all,

I've just repair an Acer Aspire 6920G with the same OE907 chip and the same failure.

Thanks a lot!
alderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:48 AM   #948
xisque
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
City & State: Sao Paulo
My Country: Brazil
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 3
Default Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Just a quick help here.
I got notebook with the same problem.
I disassembled it and I found a WR 2R5 901 proadlizer.
The motherboard diagram shows as PFAF250E907MCBTE part number, which seens a 900uf / 2.5v / ESR 1.5 nec tokin (0E907).
I can only found a 330uf/2.5/ESR 9 as a replacement. Can I use it?

4x 330 = 1320 uf
4x ESR9 paral. = 2.25 mOhm

Last edited by xisque; 07-16-2017 at 11:51 AM..
xisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:54 AM   #949
Napalm
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
City & State: Barcelos
My Country: Portugal
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 18
Default Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Yes you can use it. Many people here in this thread did that.
Napalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:32 AM   #950
xisque
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
City & State: Sao Paulo
My Country: Brazil
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 3
Default Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
Yes you can use it. Many people here in this thread did that.
Can you explain a little more? These ESR values are a way off the original. Is this problematic? How much?
xisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:59 AM   #951
Th3_uN1Qu3
Believe in
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
City & State: Bucharest
My Country: Romania
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 5,359
Default Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Have always used 4x 330uF pulled from scrap boards, always the black ones with gray writing. Lost count of how many machines i did this replacement on. Not a single one ever came back. I actually have one in to fix at this time.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteS in CA View Post
Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
A working TV? How boring!
Th3_uN1Qu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:18 PM   #952
BleedCap
New Member
 
BleedCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
City & State: KB
My Country: Malaysia
Line Voltage: 240V 50Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 13
Default Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

I got Acer 6920g that wont post.
Can I replace nec tokin with polymer cap like from desktop motherboard as a replacement?
Not permanently, just as a test before I get the tantalum.

BleedCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:15 AM   #953
jiroy
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
City & State: Beirut
My Country: Lebanon
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 1,727
Default Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedCap View Post
I got Acer 6920g that wont post.
Can I replace nec tokin with polymer cap like from desktop motherboard as a replacement?
Not permanently, just as a test before I get the tantalum.

Virtually , you can put any kind of capacitors , but the smd tantalum capacitors do not have liquid , but solid electrolyte , contrarily to some Aluminium polymers ..
Anyway , read this :

https://www.vishay.com/docs/42106/fa...ntalumcaps.pdf



By the way , and in a strange coincidence , i'm too repairing an Acer 6920 G . i've already applied the new 4 capacitors , but the laptop now on normally with a blurry picture , so i'm working now on the Nvidia slot card .

Last edited by jiroy; 08-28-2017 at 01:20 AM..
jiroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:23 AM   #954
rievax_60
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
City & State: mackay
My Country: australia
Line Voltage: 240
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 893
Default Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

The leads need to be very short.
rievax_60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:55 PM   #955
fstheatr
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
City & State: MI
My Country: USA
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 1
Default Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Just when I thought I'd fixed it....oh well.

Got an old Toshiba Satellite from a garage sale, $3/for parts-only it read. I had another I had gotten for free(thrown out)that was missing keys on the keyboard, so for $3 I figured what the heck, $3 keyboard. Thing is...it booted/ran fine, ...added cheap ssd/core2duo CPU upgrades, ended up with a nice laptop for browsing/messing around with....except for the freeze with AC adapter plugged in(guess the owners figured it was toast or close to it).

After finding this site I tried my lack of skills at soldering and purchased 4x470uf tantalum low ESR and was able to remove/replace. Not the best soldering job for sure, but I got it to work with the A/C adapter(no more freezing), and it ran great...

...for a couple months.

Today I went to turn it on and it powers up for about 6 seconds(briefly shows boot-up screen)...then it powers down. I tried the pull battery/adapter, hold power button trick...no change. With battery only the charging LED(orange)blinks with no response, with adapter I get 6 seconds boot/then dead.

Tore it apart(ugh)again and tried disconnecting this and that, memory modules in/out, different power adapter/batteries...no luck....6 seconds on/then dead.

Sad, was fun while it lasted...thinking it could be 1/more of the caps went bad or need re-soldered, but I have no idea...not really wanting to spend much more time with it, unless you guys have any suggestions.
fstheatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:50 PM   #956
zinksoft.net
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
City & State: pahang
My Country: malaysia
I'm a: Hardcore Geek
Posts: 17
Default Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstheatr View Post
Just when I thought I'd fixed it....oh well.

Got an old Toshiba Satellite from a garage sale, $3/for parts-only it read. I had another I had gotten for free(thrown out)that was missing keys on the keyboard, so for $3 I figured what the heck, $3 keyboard. Thing is...it booted/ran fine, ...added cheap ssd/core2duo CPU upgrades, ended up with a nice laptop for browsing/messing around with....except for the freeze with AC adapter plugged in(guess the owners figured it was toast or close to it).

After finding this site I tried my lack of skills at soldering and purchased 4x470uf tantalum low ESR and was able to remove/replace. Not the best soldering job for sure, but I got it to work with the A/C adapter(no more freezing), and it ran great...

...for a couple months.

Today I went to turn it on and it powers up for about 6 seconds(briefly shows boot-up screen)...then it powers down. I tried the pull battery/adapter, hold power button trick...no change. With battery only the charging LED(orange)blinks with no response, with adapter I get 6 seconds boot/then dead.

Tore it apart(ugh)again and tried disconnecting this and that, memory modules in/out, different power adapter/batteries...no luck....6 seconds on/then dead.

Sad, was fun while it lasted...thinking it could be 1/more of the caps went bad or need re-soldered, but I have no idea...not really wanting to spend much more time with it, unless you guys have any suggestions.
try add 2 more caps on it.
zinksoft.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Badcaps.net Technical Forums 2003 - 2019
Powered by vBulletin ®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:19 AM.
Did you find this forum helpful?