The Boss Stooge

City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Default Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
Cheap ebay score, Supermicro X7DCA-3. This isn't the mATX (X7DCA-L), this is an eATX. Unusual for the fact its a workstation board with an onboard SAS controller (Broadcom/LSI 1068E chipset, which is very solid). Those are usually the server versions. It was cheap, seller didn't know what he had....has 2x CPU's and 4 memory modules that he had no clue what they were....but for the price (a lowball offer that was accepted), I'll gamble the 'mystery CPU's & RAM'.... I have a SM eATX for this, or I wouldn't have bought it.
Finally got around to checking this one out. The mystery RAM was 8gb PC2-5300P, 4x 1gb sticks, and 2x 2gb sticks. CPU's are e5450, 3ghz/1333.

I set up a test bed to make sure it all worked, and to do some SAS testing with the onboard. Went well.

That's all for today....I don't have an eATX case readily available for this system, so it'll get mothballed until I come across something.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg x7dca3_9734.JPG (361.0 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg x7dca3_9735.JPG (364.7 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg x7dca3_9736.JPG (322.3 KB, 288 views)

Badcaps.net Services:

Premade Capacitor Kits
Badcaps.net Capacitor Master List

Motherboard Repair Services

If you've come here in search of replacement capacitors or repair services, please use the links above.
----------------------------------------------
Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
http://folding.stanford.edu/
Team : 49813
Join in!!
Team Stats
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:17 PM   #2642
jwillifixit

City & State: WI
My Country: usa
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Default Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
I know it's an old post but just ran into it. Selling that?
Sure... what did you have in mind? I haven't even begun to work on it. Just dusted it off and it's sitting on a shelf. It's pretty big and heavy... I've got to believe that shipping would cost even more than it's worth.
jwillifixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:19 PM   #2643
jwillifixit

City & State: WI
My Country: usa

Among other stuff I picked up a Lenovo Thinkpad T510.
It didn't have the battery in it, the cover for the ram bay was gone as was the cover for the hdd. I dug around a bit and there was the battery, and the two covers!

I put some RAM and a hard drive in it and it's working just fine!!!
jwillifixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:05 PM   #2644
goontron
5000!

City & State: South Greeley, Wyoming
My Country: US
Line Voltage: 13.9kv HT service and some 240v center tap oddity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapLeaker View Post
For over a year now there is nothing in the dumpster that hasnít been gutted. It sux so bad I have given up on it. Only thing I find are old tube TVís and microwaves.
Hey, i would love those finds!

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

My "Extremest" views: I will spread my knowledge to whoever will receive it. It is their prerogative if they do bad with it.

My backup powerplant doesn't have a microcontroller.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore
goontron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:04 PM   #2645
retiredcaps
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by goontron View Post
Hey, i would love those finds!
No need to dumpster dive. Old tube CRT TVs are regularly given away free on my local kijiji. Even what used to be high end Sony Wegas are given away for free.

That and projection TVs in the 60 to 70 inch size are given away. Some might need a new lamp which costs around $150.

Check your local craigslist or equivalent if you want old working CRT TVs.

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---
retiredcaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:43 PM   #2646
momaka
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech

My local Craigslist is also filled with CRT and projection TVs - at least several posted every day. And once or twice a month, I also see those high-end widescreen Sony Wega and Panasonic TVs - but those do actually get taken. I asked a few posters, and they said they often manage to give them away in no more than a few days. Same goes with newer and/or larger CRT monitors - looks like I'm not the only one that takes those anymore. What's even more funny, some people have now started to list CRT monitors for sale for a good chunk of money due to their "vintage" value.

As for microwaves... I see those on CL here too, but they are usually broken. Still, people do seem to take them once in a while. The working microwaves definitely get snatched quickly.
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:11 PM   #2647
stj
Great Sage 齊天大聖

City & State: Europe
My Country: some shithole run by Israeli agents

people want the transformers, now there are sites showing how to make battery-tab welders.
stj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:50 PM   #2648
retiredcaps
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaka View Post
What's even more funny, some people have now started to list CRT monitors for sale for a good chunk of money due to their "vintage" value.
I'll take my 50 inch plasma anyday over my old vintage Sony 32 inch CRT.

I dread the day the plasma dies and I can't fix it. I already pre-ordered the mostly like components to die in my plasma.
retiredcaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:45 PM   #2649
goontron
5000!

City & State: South Greeley, Wyoming
My Country: US
Line Voltage: 13.9kv HT service and some 240v center tap oddity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stj View Post
people want the transformers, now there are sites showing how to make battery-tab welders.
Good thing no sites show how to drive one resonantly and get 2-3x the voltage out of it...
goontron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:11 PM   #2650
dmill89
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Harrisburg, PA
My Country: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcaps View Post
No need to dumpster dive. Old tube CRT TVs are regularly given away free on my local kijiji. Even what used to be high end Sony Wegas are given away for free.
Similar around here. A few years ago PA banned disposal of electronics in regular garbage (and if you try putting it out on the curb the garbage men won't pick it up), but left it up to the individual counties to set up e-waste collection rather than setting up a statewide program. In some counties it is "free" (obviously paid for by taxes or fees on new electronics, but no charge for disposal) for residents, but in the county I live in (and several others) they charge $0.50/lb. for disposal so as a result people would rather give something away than pay to dispose of it (especially heavy things like large CRTs and projection sets). Of course there has also been a massive rise in illegal dumping as a result to the point that you'll find old TVs and other e-waste in just about any wooded/secluded area (of course the law was passed for "environmental reasons", yah that worked out real well, now instead of going to the landfill e-waste is piling up in the woods and on the roadsides).

Last edited by dmill89; 01-30-2018 at 07:12 PM..
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:57 PM   #2651
Vitam
Class A Geek

City & State: Bryan Texas
Line Voltage: 130VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Forum Junkie

Probably a fuckton of server equipment. These people were throwing out an entire hosting company. Of course, all the servers were old, so I only kept one IBM server and all the rest of the firewall/NAS/switch stuff went to scrap (couldn't be sold). Even throwing out the rack mount. I kept about 3 tiny HP desktops they were throwing out as well. Later on, they asked for our phone number because they had more, and when they called us, they had 3 matching monitors for the desktops, and a few laptops. Back in 2012, some dude down the street threw out a ton of desktops, monitors, VCRs, and printers. I took some of the desktops, but what was special to me is the Toshiba TIMM monitor... a 20" CRT TV with VGA, tuner, composite in and GREAT BOOMING SOUND! I still own it to this day. Now, next is not really a curb find, but it was free. One of my dad's facebook friends was giving away their late 2013 iMac. They said it got slow, then would not work at all, they're sick of it and already bought a new one. My dad went and got it (90 people replied to it saying YEAH I WANT IT!) and brought it home for me! Came with the keyboard, mouse, and power cord. Reinstalled High Sierra on it, and voila, new computer. It is now my main computer, and I am actually typing this on it!
Vitam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:58 PM   #2652
Curious.George
Badcaps Veteran

Logitech SqueezeBox (bad wall wart). I'll see if I should replace one of the Chumbys with this (smaller, less hokey looking).
Curious.George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:41 PM   #2653
Dan81
SNES-powered

City & State: Romania
My Country: Bacau
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz

PS2 SCPH-39003 PAL. Came with a few dead bugs inside, otherwise it works fine. Cleaned up and replaced heatsinks and it's working fine, aside from a dead CMOS battery.
DFI Lanparty DK P45-T2RS, Intel Xeon X5450 3.00GHz, Sapphire Radeon R7 240 2GB DDR3, 8GB DDR2-800, LiteOn DVD-RW drive, RPC 500LBL 500W (rebuilt), AVerMedia Super 009 TV tuner, Samsung HD103SI 1TB, noname black case
Dan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:03 AM   #2654
TechGeek
Computer Geek

City & State: Texas
Line Voltage: 122.5VAC@60hZ/200A
I'm a: Hardcore Geek

APC Smart-UPS 1000- Needed batteries
Samsung ML-3750ND- Needs toner ($$$$$)
Advantech UNO-3072LA Industrial Computer- Needed a hard drive and a power supply
Dell Inspiron B130 Laptop- just old

That's all for now.

For computer parts, go to Newegg
OR
Amazon.

For electrical stuff(pushbuttons, capacitors, etc), use Digikey
OR
Mouser.

Windows 10!? Oh yeah, that sorry excuse of an operating system that spies on you 24/7/365!

Samsung = Seagate = Seatrash = Trashgate
Don't buy Seagate drives. Don't use Seagate drives. If you have any in service right now, make plans to replace them ASAP.

TVs repaired: Toshiba 32AV500U
Stereo Receivers brought back to life: 1(Fisher RS-1056)
Stereos/Stereo receivers to recap: Fisher RS-1056

TechGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:19 AM   #2655
tmcw
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Ireland
My Country: Ireland
Line Voltage: 240V AC, 50Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan81 View Post
PS2 SCPH-39003 PAL. Came with a few dead bugs inside, otherwise it works fine. Cleaned up and replaced heatsinks and it's working fine, aside from a dead CMOS battery.
SNAP!

I got one too a couple of weeks ago. Was actually in a electronic waste cage, so technically it was a dumpster find I suppose.

Mine was a bit dirty on the outside, but cleaned up nice. A small part of the AV port is also broken, it's a plastic bit in the middle of the port that stops the metal pins from moving when the AV cable is inserted, don't know what it's called, it's like a tongue I suppose. About a quarter of the "tongue" is broken, but it seems to be displaying through a SCART cable ok.
tmcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:52 AM   #2656
Dan81
SNES-powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcw View Post
SNAP!

I got one too a couple of weeks ago. Was actually in a electronic waste cage, so technically it was a dumpster find I suppose.

Mine was a bit dirty on the outside, but cleaned up nice. A small part of the AV port is also broken, it's a plastic bit in the middle of the port that stops the metal pins from moving when the AV cable is inserted, don't know what it's called, it's like a tongue I suppose. About a quarter of the "tongue" is broken, but it seems to be displaying through a SCART cable ok.
Meh, I got a lot of my PS2s cheap and in varying states of functionality.

The worst one (next to this "bugged" v7 39003) was a version 4 SCPH-35004, which literally had its case broken in pieces and the PSU PCB was broken. You'd be amazed to know that the 35004 that was broken to hell and back is now working perfectly. I chuckled out the case and the PSU and reused some parts from a defunct 30004R (failed modchip install, I need a new soldering iron) along with a new 400C laser.

It came out pretty nice, and aside a few hiccups at the beginning of spinning the disc (which apparently are normal.), it runs all the games I have perfectly. Original laser was a god knows how old Sony KHS-400B that couldn't read anything. Luckily I had three PS2s to work with, with two being in working order. Here's what I did:

1. Swapped 400C from a unmodded 50003 into a modded (Modbo 4.0) 50003 silver
2. Moved the leftover 400C into the v4 and reprogrammed MECHACON EEPROM (it stores info about what type of laser it has to use)
3. Installed a spare working Sanyo SF-HD7 laser into the unmodded 50003 - looks kinda weird in there since it's the older open faced variant with metal frame as opposed to the newer closed face variant that uses a plastic frame.

Now all machines work and load games fine. As for the 39003, I managed to bring it to a better state - threw away a lot of stuff from it (crappy cube-shaped heatsink, original fan (IIRC it was a NMB fan) and metal plates (basically anything that had to do with metal) and whatever I was left I used medical spirit to wipe off bug crap from. It worked, although there's still a small bit of stench left (which I may cover with some deodorant, it's better that way and smells nicer.) but otherwise it's pretty clean now.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:03 AM   #2657
Dan81
SNES-powered

Just bought a FastFame 8VTAA with a Duron 1GHz and of course a myriad of dead caps. Unsurprisingly, they were Canicon caps.

For some reason though, all SD-RAM boards I had lately were pretty picky about RAM, including this one. I eventually got it to POST with its original sticks for a total of 256MB RAM and a old trusty GF2 MX400 64MB GPU after I recapped the MB.

As for recapping the board, I used various caps I had around, as for a board like this it doesn't really matter what I use. Most of these caps were 3x UCC KZE, 2x Nichicon HM (0545 datecode - flip a coin.), 2x AsiaX caps (2014 datecode, not that bad), 1x Yang Chun (Saturn logo), 1x OST, 1x Sanyo WG and 2x G-Luxon near the AGP slot.

Probably not the best choices of caps but as long as it doesn't die and works fine with Windows 98 SE I'm more than happy. Will probably use it as a Voodoo 3 rig since it has a universal 4x slot.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:12 AM   #2658
Th3_uN1Qu3
Believe in

City & State: Bucharest
My Country: Romania

Quote:
For some reason though, all SD-RAM boards I had lately were pretty picky about RAM, including this one.
Oxidized contacts in the RAM slots most likely. Could use some brushing and your favorite plastic-friendly solvent.
A working TV? How boring!
Th3_uN1Qu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:07 PM   #2659
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

City & State: Salem, MO

picked up a supermicro SC743TQ-865B-SQ 4U eATX case cheap on ebay....what can I say, I just find system building to be quite therapeutic... I'll eventually sell some of these off....and its become a cheap hobby compared to what it used to be.

This isn't the actual, but its identical.
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:40 PM   #2660
RJARRRPCGP
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: North Springfield, Vermont
Line Voltage: 123-127V 61.5-63.5 Hz

Quote:

Premier LC-B400ATX 400W - 2005 datecode w/ 2002 caps.
Woah, WTF?

Core i7 Extreme "Bloomfield" 965

PNY GeForce GTX 960

Windows 7 SP1

SoundBlaster ZXR

Corsair TX850M PSU

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Don't eat yellow snow!" -Salem

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747
RJARRRPCGP is offline   Reply With Quote