Sony KD60X690E No Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony KD60X690E No Video

Set has backlight and audio. T-con has 12 volts on both channels. Tried cleaning LVDS cable. SMPS has proper voltages as labeled. Main board does react to signal and turn on when HDMI signal is applied. Nothing getting hot on T-con.
    Volume adjusts. No menu. suspect main board. Is there a way to test t-con?

TIA

LJ
    Attached Files

Re: Sony KD60X690E No Video

What do see on the screen if you have one ribbon cable between T-CON and panel connected one at a time?
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

When I disconnect the ribbon cable on the left from the front of the panel I get the first picture with Left half of screen black and right half white showing image outlines. When I hook it back up and disconnect the other one it makes no difference, all black screen as in second picture.
      Attached Files

Comment

I don't think I understand... you say that you disconnect the left side of the set and get black with "white" on the connected side. That seems opposite to "expectations".... but may be anything is possible. Normally, a disconnect tcon cable will generate a white screen. Please confirm your tests and check your cable seating as perhaps they weren't properly aligned. If you indieed are getting black screens as indicated, then it is likely that you have a problem with the bottom edge boards.... perhaps a short or open smd component.

Comment

Looking at the set from the rear, when I disconnect the cable on the right, it produces the first picture. When I hook it back up and disconnect the cable on the left, I get the second picture.

Comment

hmmmm ... you might want to remove the front bezel so that you can look at the tabs along the sides to see if you can spot any issues there.

Comment

You were right on the money Budwich. I found one tab unbonded totally.

Another one for the pile. Aaargh. Manuf Date is Nov 2017

Junk!

Thanks for the assist.

LJ
              Attached Files

Comment

BUT wait.... unless you are trying to get a "resell" or "repair for money"... the set can likely be saved / restored by removing the tabs along the side that is bad. This is the "standard method" for side issues that have bad tabs whether they are "burnt" or "broken" / "detached". Of course, it depends on your objective.

That is also assuming that you are showing a side tab and NOT a tab along the bottom of the panel which can't be removed.... then the set would be trash.

Comment

Was looking at it for a friend..who watches it all the time. Sounds like removing the side tabs is a temporary reprieve. Tab shown is top right corner facing screen.
                  Last edited by ljintexas; 02-11-2019, 02:35 AM.

Comment

Its still worth doing as they may well still get a good few years out of the set with the tabs removed.
                    even watching it all the time.!

Comment

Originally posted by ljintexas View Post
                      Was looking at it for a friend..who watches it all the time. Sounds like removing the side tabs is a temporary reprieve. Tab shown is top right corner facing screen.
                      well, if the "operation" works, the tv will likely be useful for a long time.... as in years, not days or weeks. Your friend will potentially not even notice a difference unless they have "golden eyes". I would say hundred of tvs have passed thru this forum with this type of "work" to save them from the garbage.

I personally, did this on a sony 46xbr4 as it had a connection problem on the corner tab... top corner (as edgeboards are on the top on this sony).... I used the set in for rec room video.

Relooking at your last picture, if the tab bond was basically a "manufacturer defect", the contacts might be marginally contacting which isn't good for overall operation depending on which contacts actaully get made. Rather strange... how old is the set?

The one question that I have, is how did this tv get to this state... someone had to be doing something to cause a tab to be like that... possibly only did a "part of the operation". How many tabs are along the side? Take a close look at the tab / edge boards at the bottom / top of the set... I suspect someone was in this set before you.... maybe. You could possibly try some pressure padding on the tab to see if things change any but I would be concerned that the contacts, once disturbed may not align which could cause further damage and take out other circuits / components if not "pressured back" in the exact position.
                      Last edited by budwich; 02-11-2019, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                        well, if the "operation" works, the tv will likely be useful for a long time.... as in years, not days or weeks. Your friend will potentially not even notice a difference unless they have "golden eyes". I would say hundred of tvs have passed thru this forum with this type of "work" to save them from the garbage.

I personally, did this on a sony 46xbr4 as it had a connection problem on the corner tab... top corner (as edgeboards are on the top on this sony).... I used the set in for rec room video.

Relooking at your last picture, if the tab bond was basically a "manufacturer defect", the contacts might be marginally contacting which isn't good for overall operation depending on which contacts actaully get made. Rather strange... how old is the set?

The one question that I have, is how did this tv get to this state... someone had to be doing something to cause a tab to be like that... possibly only did a "part of the operation". How many tabs are along the side? Take a close look at the tab / edge boards at the bottom / top of the set... I suspect someone was in this set before you.... maybe. You could possibly try some pressure padding on the tab to see if things change any but I would be concerned that the contacts, once disturbed may not align which could cause further damage and take out other circuits / components if not "pressured back" in the exact position.
                        If this is the case then probably best to just finish the "tab operation" should have usable tv after that.

Comment

I think this is the same model of Sony TV that my sister rented back in September, 2018, before having it returned, because it reportedly failed to respond to power button:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=71916
                          Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 02-11-2019, 05:36 PM.
                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by ljintexas View Post
                            You were right on the money Budwich. I found one tab unbonded totally.

Another one for the pile. Aaargh. Manuf Date is Nov 2017

Junk!

Thanks for the assist.

LJ
                            This looks possibly worse than pre-Hisense-Sharp, IIRC! Yikes! I see what looks like shit COF!
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Was the picture in post #7 of the unbonded tab? Because that looks normal to me. The piece that is disconnected is just a piece of tape, the tab/cof looks normal?

Comment

Working...
                              X