New bluescreen message...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New bluescreen message...

So i just set my main monitor here on the dual-PIII to 1400x1050. Like so.

I shut down the computer and went to the beach, had a few with my friends, then back to the hood, had a few more , and finally back home. I turn the computer on to find a blue screen, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. I restart it only to find another one, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Now, i know those screens are usually caused by overclocking, and i am overclocking, but it's been perfectly stable so far. So wondered if the problem was caused by my recent resolution change.

I rebooted in VGA mode, and sure enough, no BSOD. However i couldn't enable the second screen after the VGA mode reboot, so i set the resolution to 1280x1024 on the main and rebooted again. Sure 'nuff, worked fine. I've set the main monitor to 1400x1050 again and disabled the second screen. I wonder if it'll boot fine tomorrow...

So i propose a new designator for bluescreens: MAXIMUM_RESOLUTION_REACHED
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Re: New bluescreen message...

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA = Unstable RAM. (May be a bad RAM slot.)

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL = Unstable core. (You can get this error when Linpack fails.)
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

32 GB G.Skill RipJaws V F4-3200C16D-32GVR

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I have seen two "new" BSODs. On one, the screen halves had been switched around (right half on the left side of the screen, left half on the right side). On the other, the computer crashed with several errors at the same time. I watched the text scroll up the screen for a second before it finally stopped. There was also one section of text that appeared twice - once near the top of the screen and once again just before the only visible STOP error code (0x000000c5). There were also sections of text that normally only appear in the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL message. I would guess that there were at least five errors at the same time.

Comment

I get those even though I know my RAM is definitely stable (couple days of Core Damage and Memtest). I just have faulty drivers for gfx and audio interface on one install (something's messed up). I would just check your drivers. If you know your oc is good, then it may be your board. What gfx card do you have?

Comment

It had nothing to do with the board or RAM. It had purely to do with the resolution and the desktop arrangement - i use EnTech iRotate to get a secondary 17" LCD in portrait mode, because the video driver doesn't have this option by itself. Without the secondary monitor enabled the system booted just fine.

The video card is a Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB but that's soon to be changed for a HD4650 or 4670. I'm using Omega drivers.
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
            I have seen two "new" BSODs. On one, the screen halves had been switched around (right half on the left side of the screen, left half on the right side). On the other, the computer crashed with several errors at the same time. I watched the text scroll up the screen for a second before it finally stopped. There was also one section of text that appeared twice - once near the top of the screen and once again just before the only visible STOP error code (0x000000c5). There were also sections of text that normally only appear in the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL message. I would guess that there were at least five errors at the same time.
            Looks like the CPU has gotten stable, those look like processor-related errors,
            usually when you OC the core too high or require a Vcore bump.
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post

The video card is a Radeon 9800 Pro
              I had back luck with those, the first one I got second hand was fine at first, but when I wasn't even in Windows, gave corrupted video and then when I rebooted, also a corrupted BIOS screen!

And sometimes, moving it around helped! Suspect it's a solder joint problem,
              I have a gut feeling that it could be.

But, it was junked a long time ago, that was in spring, 2007.

And I did almost make a 3D Mark test! It seemed to be fine if it didn't even get moved by a 32th!
              It works fine intermittently!

Could this be a bad BGA solder job?
              Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 07-30-2011, 09:15 AM.
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Mine was bought second hand too, but i've had it for several years. It's also overclocked and voltmodded... i am using aftermarket cooling though.

It sometimes displays a colored dot or two when i'm watching a movie and the scene is very dark. It could do with some ramsinks, but i always forget. Otherwise, it's never been trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                  It had nothing to do with the board or RAM. It had purely to do with the resolution and the desktop arrangement - i use EnTech iRotate to get a secondary 17" LCD in portrait mode, because the video driver doesn't have this option by itself. Without the secondary monitor enabled the system booted just fine.

The video card is a Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB but that's soon to be changed for a HD4650 or 4670. I'm using Omega drivers.
                  Yep, definitely graphics driver issue then, since you are using Omega+iRotate. It's probably out of spec for the driver or something, something is making it throw a fit. Since you're going to upgrade anyway, might as well just hold out and start fresh with your new gfx card. Is iRotate the same thing as Powerstrip?

Comment

iRotate is from the makers of PowerStrip, yes. All it does is handle rotation, but compared to the whole package, iRotate is free. And most of the features in PowerStrip i have in ATi Tray Tools anyway, i don't want to run them both at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                      Looks like the CPU has gotten stable, those look like processor-related errors,
                      usually when you OC the core too high or require a Vcore bump.
                      That computer worked fine after updating the BIOS. There was a bug that caused Windows to crash on a cold boot with a random BSOD or a message saying a certain file was missing. When Windows finally booted, there was the chance that it would crash after running for a few hours.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                        That computer worked fine after updating the BIOS. There was a bug that caused Windows to crash on a cold boot with a random BSOD or a message saying a certain file was missing.
                        Kind of sounds like my issue with my Core 2 Duo E4500 OC, with load line calibration disabled,
                        it will fail to POST on a cold boot and I have to turn it off then back on again.

Even during this, it was stable when in Windows and Linpack passes.

It seems to be related to not having enough juice to start the E4500.
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
                          http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc957625.aspx

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
                          http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms854226.aspx

When you get both at the same time it's almost always bad RAM or a corrupted driver [or system file] that doesn't load right into RAM.
                          Sometimes it's a buggy program that can't keep track of where it puts things in RAM.
                          Mann-Made Global Warming.
                          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                          -

Comment

I had that bluescreen when I had the latest radeon driver on a AMD 785 chipset (showed up as a the radeon designation on the device manager), I installed the driver from the MB manufacturer (showed up as AMD 785 on the device manager) and it was never a problem

lately the latest radeon driver that designates the integrated vga as its radeon equal has been working just fine, even played max payne 2 on this 880 I built for a customer of mine
                            Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                            ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Omega still makes drivers?
                              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

http://omegadrivers.net/ Latest ones are dated just a few days ago, so the answer is yes. The 9800 runs on an oooooold version anyway, as ATI dropped support a few years ago.

Comment

Last known good driver for my 2900XT is 11.3.

There was series of drivers up untill 11.2 which caused ati2dvag BSOD with the XP drivers and my card, plus older OpenGL games like Jedi Outcast and Academy (Thus including Movie Battles II, which brings my Dual core Athlon 64 and 2900xt down to their knees at 1280x1024 - not bad for a game that runs on a heavily modified 10+ years old Quake3 engine) would crash when they were launched.

11.3 is a bastion of sanctity, sanity, and stability. Anything newer now gives me ati2mtag BSODs.

I've not tried the new 11.7 (Though I think I tried the RC which also gave me BSODs) but I've reached the conclusion that ATI's XP drivers are NOT really UDA (Unified Driver Architecture) to the same extent as nVidia's drivers. If enough people whine sufficiently on their Catalyst forum about the same problem, they *might* fix it (Like we did with Jedi games not working - and they fixed it to their credit). But they are really negligent when it comes to fixing driver issues with older cards. Like when I swap displays from my TV and LCD, under no circumstances will Catalyst remember the resolution of my LCD and forces me to use 1024x768 until I change it manually. Very inconvenient.

Incidentally, I am using the 266.58 nVidia driver for a relatively old GeForce 6600 in XP (And FYI, eventhough nVidia is claiming support for this card in their newer drivers, I can confirm that this is the last driver version that will work at least for the GeForce 6 series in XP).
                                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

IRQL-NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is almost always a driver issue unless you are overclocking. Try uninstalling your video driver and updating to the latest version. Update the chipset driver as well...this is vital on non Intel AGP systems.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA can be bad RAM, a bad HDD, or a bad driver stepping on some memory it shouldn't have.

Comment

The interesting bit is that it was an one-time thing - i have been booting with both monitors enabled for the past few days and it's been working fine.

Comment

Get rid of those Omega drivers...

I don't know what gave you the idea that they're only a few days old... His main page links to ATI drivers, not his own. His actual driver download page only shows two drivers, the XP one dating back to December 2007.

I'm sure you can do better than that.

Comment

Working...
                                        X