IBM 8187 P4 2.8Ghz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IBM 8187 P4 2.8Ghz

I picked up an IBM 8187 2.8Ghz 512 40gb for $4.97, from a scrapper. It was sold at not working. These IBM systems have some kind of plug in (when you plug it in the wall) self test, it will fire up the system, the hdd will spin up and all fans, basically a full power up. On a working system, it will shut down until you power it on. However on this system it will just stay running and not answer to the power button and will display no video. It only has one visible bad cap, a 10V 1500UF next to the AGP slot with a bulged top. There is two more of the same caps but look just fine. I ordered new ones though here to replace them.

My question is do you think it's to late for the that board or can that one cap cause no video and no post/plug in test? Do I need to replace all the caps from that brand? Or just replace all three of those 10V 1500uf's? Or just replace that one bad one? Also with desoldering, do you recommended a braid/wick or a sucker.
    Last edited by vintageibm; 04-07-2011, 04:57 PM.

Re: IBM 8187 P4 2.8Ghz

1 cap can go and cause the failure but normally when 1 cap goes others are soon to fail as well. Without knowing what the caps are (make/series) it will be hard to give good advice on which ones to replace besides the failed one. Post some pictures of the board and closeups of the caps.

Comment

Hope this helps... The bad cap is at the end of the AGP slot

Comment

Those caps are Chemi-Con KZG. They often fail with no visible signs. I see three sizes there. 10V 1000uF, 10v 1500uF and 6.3v 2200uF. Use these to replace the 10v 1000uF cap (yes, 10v and 6.3v caps can be used in place of each other), these for the 10v 1500uF caps and these for the 6.3v 2200uF caps.

The other caps are Rubycon MBZ and Sanyo/OSCON SEPC. They are good caps and can stay.
        Last edited by c_hegge; 04-07-2011, 06:01 PM.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

OK I just placed the order for other caps. They should be on there way. I stuck with the same voltage 10V, just because I have been told "Replace with the same" over and over again.

Now for the desoldering part, what's the better way a wick/braid or a sucker?

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
          Those caps are Chemi-Con KZG. They often fail with no visible signs. I see three sizes there. 10V 1000uF, 10v 1500uF and 6.3v 2200uF. Use these to replace the 10v 1000uF cap (yes, 10v and 6.3v caps can be used in place of each other), these for the 10v 1500uF caps and these for the 6.3v 2200uF caps.

The other caps are Rubycon MBZ and Sanyo/OSCON SEPC. They are good caps and can stay.

Comment

If you search "IBM" on these forums you will find people have had trouble recapping these particular boards.

The existing solder on the board is nasty stuff that doesn't flow easily. Be sure to add new solder to the old when attempting to remove the caps. I would use the pin method to clear the holes. The holes on these boards are small and hard to clear.

Be really patient. I have only wrecked one board, and it was one of these. The traces are very fine wire and the laquer coating is very thin. Very easy to inadvertently damage the traces with your tip.

Replace the damaged cap and see if you can get the board to BEEP by leaving the RAM slots empty.

I am not a fan of these, they can be quick but they run very HOT like 67C with the stock cooling. The BIOS is quite limited and you get to it with F1 or F2 - can't remember.

Does the board start all by itself with fans turning at high speed?
            That is NOT a good sign.

Best of Luck with this. Keep us posted.

Comment

Thanks for the good info, I collect the 1st IBM PC the 5150, So I thought I would add IBM's last PC before they sold to Lenovo.

I have one system that works fine, but for how long I don't know. This one I picked up because of the price and having bad caps, I have replaced caps in LCD's ect. No problem, I thought just stick in some caps. But after looking this form over I thought maybe it would turn in to a PITA.

I only have these for collection purposes, as much as I hate to say I am not a fan of IBM's later stuff either. Every one I have owned has either died crashed or failed in someway, I have a netvista for a media PC and it cooks the hardrive (121F) and the system runs very hot.

Ya the system runs the fans at full speed (as soon as you plug it in) until you unplug it. It dose not responded to the power switch.

It will keep ya all posted when the parts get here...

Originally posted by bigbeark View Post
              If you search "IBM" on these forums you will find people have had trouble recapping these particular boards.

The existing solder on the board is nasty stuff that doesn't flow easily. Be sure to add new solder to the old when attempting to remove the caps. I would use the pin method to clear the holes. The holes on these boards are small and hard to clear.

Be really patient. I have only wrecked one board, and it was one of these. The traces are very fine wire and the laquer coating is very thin. Very easy to inadvertently damage the traces with your tip.

Replace the damaged cap and see if you can get the board to BEEP by leaving the RAM slots empty.

I am not a fan of these, they can be quick but they run very HOT like 67C with the stock cooling. The BIOS is quite limited and you get to it with F1 or F2 - can't remember.

Does the board start all by itself with fans turning at high speed?
              That is NOT a good sign.

Best of Luck with this. Keep us posted.

Comment

Hello all, I replaced the one bad cap and it has no effect on the MB at all. Any more ideals before I waste time and caps replacing the other ones?

The soldering is not bad at all, I just heated one leg titled it did the same to the orther and then used some wick on both sides of the hole and it came perfectly clean

Comment

Yes.
                  Replace the rest of the KZG.

As was said; KZG fail without bloating.
                  Mann-Made Global Warming.
                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

replace the smaller one on the other side of the agp latch.its always cooked.for a quick test replace it and the bulger.if it posts finish the job.

Comment

I just picked one of these 8187's up in fully working order with the original IBM image of XP as well as an 8183 with the same configuration.

It seems to me that the first thing that should have been checked was the power-supply. In my unit the PSU is an Acbell (sp), and I wouldn't trust that much.
                      Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

Working...
                      X