Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabyte GA-7VM400AM

Hello all,

Someone give me this mobo with CPU attached to try to help him.

I connect to my known good PS and memory. It does not POST/beep.

When the power button is pressed, the mem light on the mobo will light and the CPU fan will run. If I press and hold the power button, it will shut down in a few seconds. If I press the power button, it will start up again, just won't POST.

The CPU heatsink does get warm if I disconnect the CPU fan.

I ohmed the MOSFETs and they are not shorted. They all have similar ohms when compared to each other. However, I use my IR temp meter and one of the 4 MOSFET remains at room temperature (25degrees). The other 3 runs at about 30degrees. (How do I attach picture?)

I have browsed thru all the posts on "KZG" and Gigabyte and learned that these KZGs although not showing any bulges should be replaced.

Also, do the other two HD series caps (1200/6.3V) seems to have shrunk sleeving?

Finally, I popped off the heatsink and found the CPU in quite good shape (i.e, no burn mark).

Any suggestions before I start with recapping?

Re: Gigabyte GA-7VM400AM

Did you try putting in a new bios battery?

Comment

any "Choyo" caps on that one..?
      25V 330uF (iirc) were common on older gigabyte boards. (socket A and 478 (P4) era)
      they pretty much always leak from the bottom and dry out..

Comment

Originally posted by ss627
        Did you try putting in a new bios battery?
        Actually, I took out the CMOS battery prior to test. I put it (checked and has 3V) back in but still won't POST. Gee, I thought that would have been too easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic
          any "Choyo" caps on that one..?
          25V 330uF (iirc) were common on older gigabyte boards. (socket A and 478 (P4) era)
          they pretty much always leak from the bottom and dry out..
          Nope, anything of larger size are all KZG except two 1200uF/6.3V which are HD(M).

I borrowed a ESR meter and gone thru all the KZG and HD(M) caps and they are not quite low in terms of ESR.

Anyway, I powered it up again and check the voltages on the VRM FETs:

IN Out
          4.28 1.65
          6.05 0.02
          4.27 1.66
          7.44 0.02

So, it appears two of the FETs are not turning on. However, all 4 FETs give me similiar ohms so I don't think they are shorted.

Also, I can turn the power to the board on and off using the Power button connected to the mobo so the board is not totally dead.

Anyone has experience on the voltages on the VRM FETs?

Anyone still suspect the 3300/6.3V KZGs even they look fine and are not high on ESR?

Thanks.

Comment

Ah... found the instruction by willawake on how to attach picture. Many thanks!

So the green markings are the two have zero volt out.
            Attached Files

Comment

OK, maybe two of the FETs are dead.
              The two that have no output (and cold) have lower ohms than the other two.
              The markings on all 4 are:
              07N03L
              AV340

I Googled and found there are 4 different varieties of this 07N03L:
              IPB07N03L
              IPD07N03L
              IPP07N03L
              IPU07N03L

Does anyone know how to tell which is the correct one?
              Are there any subs for this?

Thanks.

Comment

Hi lucky13

it is hard to say because the marking type it is the same for two MOSFET types: 30A and 80A.

I think probably it is IPD07N03L package TO252 -3-11, let see if other members have a definite answer.

I attach here the datasheet I found, you can search for other MOSFET with same parameters and case.

I wonder how they can sell different devices with the same marking on the package.

Ciao
                Gianni
                Attached Files
                "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
                H. J. Brown

Comment

the mosfets are not a problem.
                  that is a 2 phase vrm and it it running.one of each pair is the switch and the other a syncronous rectifier.
                  measure across the big caps close to the cpu and you will also find your 1.65v reading there.
                  there is a chance the vrm output caps are bad but your only way to prove that is to replace unless you own an esr meter or a scope.do you have a post card?
                  http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-PC-Desktop-Analyzer-Diagnostic-POST-Test-Card-PCI_W0QQitemZ370153103748QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item562ed82184&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1546|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                    the mosfets are not a problem.
                    that is a 2 phase vrm and it it running.one of each pair is the switch and the other a syncronous rectifier.
                    measure across the big caps close to the cpu and you will also find your 1.65v reading there.
                    there is a chance the vrm output caps are bad but your only way to prove that is to replace unless you own an esr meter or a scope.do you have a post card?
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-PC-Desktop-Analyzer-Diagnostic-POST-Test-Card-PCI_W0QQitemZ370153103748QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item562ed82184&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1546|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50
                    Well, that's good to know about the MOSFETS. I was about to unsolder the legs to ohm them again.

Funny I just borrowed a POST card from someone today. Although it does not look like the one you quoted, this one has ISA and PCI edges. It does have 4 digits readout like the one you shown. I will plug it in and try and post back results.

Is the one you quoted newer and has better indications?

Comment

Originally posted by Gianni
                      Hi lucky13

it is hard to say because the marking type it is the same for two MOSFET types: 30A and 80A.

I think probably it is IPD07N03L package TO252 -3-11, let see if other members have a definite answer.

I attach here the datasheet I found, you can search for other MOSFET with same parameters and case.

I wonder how they can sell different devices with the same marking on the package.

Ciao
                      Gianni
                      I found Digikey in the USA carries IPU07N03LAIN-ND. It is a N-CH 25V 30A TO-251 MOSFET.

I might not have to order them as kc8adu said they are probably OK as this is only a 2 phase VRM!

Thanks for your effort!

Comment

OK, this looks like the POST card I borrowed:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...0054557&_rdc=1

I plug this card into one of the PCI slot. No memory installed. Just CPU and speaker. K/B & on board video connected. Now, here are the results:

Press power button.
                        Memory LED on mobo lights up
                        CPU fan spins
                        No beep, nothing on the screen.
                        The POST card shows 4 dashes.
                        These LEDs are lit:
                        All 4 on the left hand column, -12V, +12V, +5V, +3.3V
                        Only one light on the right hand column lights up: CLK
                        The other 3 are off: TRDY, FRAME & RESET

Apparently, the 4-digits should go from 00 to FF?

Anyway, just for fun, I removed the CPU, fan and tried again:

Same result EXCEPT the RESET on the right column now lights up too.

So what does this all mean? Dead CPU?

Should I go get another supported CPU to try? Any chance this board is a CPU killer?

Comment

OK, borrowed a working Duron 750 and popped it in. Same result. No post.

Putt he Duron back into the donor motherboard, still works. Yeah, so at least this board is not a CPU killer.

Anyone wants to chime in?

Comment

put your chip into the donor.report results.
                            of course make sure the board can support yours.and your board can support the donor chip.
                            must configure the boards right too.

Comment

OK, recap those 5 KZG 3300uF and 2 HD 1200/6.3V.

I was really hoping for a miracle....

but NO GO.

Same for the original Sempron chip and the Duron chip I borrowed.

The POST card does not show anything other than what I've reported previously. So I guess the board just doesn't get to POST.

I was holding out hope for this board because it seems to function other than no POST. The board will shut off if I leave the CPU heatsink loose so that tells me the temp sensor to shut off still works. The NB and SB do not get really hot. The NB which has the heatsink definitely runs much warmer than the SB.

Anyway, I put the Sempron CPU into the donor board to see if the CPU is dead. It got to the Compaq logo and I smell something burning so I guess the CPU is alive.. I quickly yank the ac cord and looks like no damage done to the donor board (not sure about the Sempron). it was a jumperfree board.

Anyway, the POST card shows many different numbers on the 4-digit display as the Compaq board boots up. So my conclusion is that until the board takes the 1st step, nothing will happen and the board remains in veggie state.

I will see what the owner wants to do with this board. Maybe I can keep it and I might further learn how the boot cycles works and find something...

Thanks for the pointers everyone.

Comment

I was reading the post "Testing VRMs" made by AK0R.

He said

d. Measure resistance from output of VRM to ground (should be greater than 1 megohm, usually much greater).
                                Well, just for fun, I ohmed the VRM 3300uF output caps (replaced already) and they have like 84 ohms!

So, they are not a dead short but perhaps explain wht this board won't POST.

Now, where do I look again for this partial short?

Comment

Check for solder hairs or spatter trails.
                                  Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                  -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                                    Check for solder hairs or spatter trails.
                                    There isn't anything wrong with soldering... looked with 30x magnifier.

Using the picture I have posted above, this is a 2 phase VRM as per kc8adu.

I've used my DMM to measure the dc resistance from Drain-Source on the 1st MOSFET (the one that has 7.44 in and 0.02 out, see 1st table). This as I understand, is the Vcore voltage.

Here is a somewhat interesting/surprising result:

with CPU in the socket, the dc resistance is 0.2ohm

if I remove CPU out of socket, it is 32.2ohm

Remember the MOSFETs are not hot (see temperature taken with IR temp gun). If anything, 2 of them are pretty cold.

Tested with 2 known working P/S (SPI brand).

So what does this mean ???

Comment

if vcore is reading correct for your cpu look elsewhere.
                                      normal to read some resistance on vcore to ground.
                                      you probably killed your procs running without the hsf.
                                      amd athlons dont like that!by the time you smell it or the board shuts down its too late.

Comment

Working...
                                      X