• Show
Clear All

powering up old unused electrinics equipment

I remember in electronics school in the 1980s we learned that the
    best way to damage a very old piece of electronic equipment was to
    power it on with full voltage. After a long time with no power caps
    go to zero ufd, which will pass the full voltage and burn out other
    components. Something like that. Im looking on the internet for
    info about this, but I cant find any. Do you know of any?

tks,
    pa

Re: powering up old unused electrinics equipment

Take the cover off, plug it in and watch the circuit board carefully. If you see smoke, unplug it, investigate the issue and try again.

Comment

No, the leakage current of the capacitors can increase. Often they can be re-formed. If the capacitance dropped to zero, it would be shorted or open circuit.

How old is the equipment you want to power on? If the capacitors are ancient (like Valve-era) you should remove and test them first - those ones are most likely to explode if unused for decades
      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
      -David VanHorn

Comment

Do you really need to know? have you something you want to start up?
        Try on antique radio .com? or google electrolytic capacitor shelf life
        assuming you are not talking wax and paper in which case antique radio may
        be the way to go.
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

DONT PLUG IT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          unless its from the 80s, then go ahead.
          Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

its late 1970s and has need seen power for at least a decade.

Comment

What is it? Have you had a look inside yet for any obviously visible issues?

If you want to be on the safe side, test or replace any big electrolytic filter capacitors and any other high voltage ones. Low voltage ones should be OK to leave as is.
              "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
              -David VanHorn

Comment

Late 70s would basically cover "80s" as far as electronics goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Heihachi_73 View Post
                  Late 70s would basically cover "80s" as far as electronics goes.
                  i wouldn't say that. i have had two radios made in the 70's pop the filter, one of which cut a gash in my arm about half the length of a lighter. all the 80's worked and didn't blow up.
                  Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

If it's old stuff (but not super old like tube stuff), I say it depends if the caps have safety vents or not. If no safety vents, be careful!

Comment

Working...
                    X