Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer V173 LCD power board fix

Easy fix of Acer V173 LCD.

Symptoms: Display turns off after 1-2min. There was a slight noise heard when powering on. After opening the cause was obvious, one of Samxon capacitor was popped.

Board: ILPI-076 Rev:B 2008.06.28

Fix: Replace all green Samxon caps(3) seems a bad batch. Sorry didn't write the numbers down And when connecting all together attach high voltage LCD panel leads firmly otherwise the backlight will flicker.

Beware of BIG cap, it holds charge for a long time and doesn't discharge by itself as for other LCDs... It was a ouch on my finger with 400V :zap:
    Attached Files

Re: Acer V173 LCD power board fix

Parts:10V 1000uF,25V 1000uF,25V 680uF

Comment

Thanks for sharing all your experiences. There is a forum called "Troubleshooting Computer Displays" where your posts would be more suitable.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

The green ones that you changed out are Samxon GF, and yes they are known unreliable.
        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
          There is a forum called "Troubleshooting Computer Displays" where your posts would be more suitable.
          Hmm...this forum seems more appropiate as it is device with only badcaps failing. Replace the caps and you are good to go. If there is Motherboards with Bad caps why shouldn't be "PC displays with badcaps". There is nothing to troubleshoot as trouble is shot already. Complete solution

Other Devices with Bad Capacitors
          This includes power supplies, add-on cards/graphics cards, monitors, home/car/commercial electronics, and just about anything with bad caps that's not a motherboard.

Comment

Originally posted by otoluk View Post
            Easy fix of Acer V173 LCD.

Symptoms: Display turns off after 1-2min. There was a slight noise heard when powering on. After opening the cause was obvious, one of Samxon capacitor was popped.

Board: ILPI-076 Rev:B 2008.06.28

Fix: Replace all green Samxon caps(3) seems a bad batch. Sorry didn't write the numbers down And when connecting all together attach high voltage LCD panel leads firmly otherwise the backlight will flicker.

Beware of BIG cap, it holds charge for a long time and doesn't discharge by itself as for other LCDs... It was a ouch on my finger with 400V :zap:
            Hi Guys, Does someone knows how to open this Monitor? I have been trying to no avail remove 4 screws for Stand but not sure how to open without Damaging monitor. Please help. Thanks

Comment

I've never opened that monitor, but most monitors are fairly similar in how they're put together. This is how I do it.

First, remove the stand and any screws holding the stand to the case.

Next, remove any screws holding the case on. Often there aren't any visible screws. If that's the case, look for screws under rubber bumpers or similar. If there still aren't any screws, there probably aren't any. Continue on.

Place the monitor screen down on a surface that won't scratch the screen. I usually use a cotton towel.

Pry the rear cover away from the frame. This is a delicate process, as it requires quite a bit of force to un-snap some of the plastic tabs, but you don't want to break anything. I use various plastic pry tools/spudgers to get the covers off. I find a good method that works is to start prying at the top center. I find the center to be a good place to start, since the corners tend to require more force to un-snap things. Once I get one snap undone, I slide the tool between the front frame and rear case and "slide" it along the seam to unlock the other tabs. Often times these tools get pretty chewed up in the process. It's not uncommon for me to throw the tool away once I get the monitor open, as it's less useful in a chewed up state. This isn't a big deal; they're fairly inexpensive. (I order them in bulk since I do a lot of laptop work and use them for that as well, but even individually they're pretty cheap.) The rear cover lifts off, leaving the screen attached to the front frame, and the circuit boards attached to the screen. Watch out for any cables that may connect speakers or switches to the rear case.

Comment

Originally posted by yyonline View Post
                I've never opened that monitor, but most monitors are fairly similar in how they're put together. This is how I do it.

First, remove the stand and any screws holding the stand to the case.

Next, remove any screws holding the case on. Often there aren't any visible screws. If that's the case, look for screws under rubber bumpers or similar. If there still aren't any screws, there probably aren't any. Continue on.

Place the monitor screen down on a surface that won't scratch the screen. I usually use a cotton towel.

Pry the rear cover away from the frame. This is a delicate process, as it requires quite a bit of force to un-snap some of the plastic tabs, but you don't want to break anything. I use various plastic pry tools/spudgers to get the covers off. I find a good method that works is to start prying at the top center. I find the center to be a good place to start, since the corners tend to require more force to un-snap things. Once I get one snap undone, I slide the tool between the front frame and rear case and "slide" it along the seam to unlock the other tabs. Often times these tools get pretty chewed up in the process. It's not uncommon for me to throw the tool away once I get the monitor open, as it's less useful in a chewed up state. This isn't a big deal; they're fairly inexpensive. (I order them in bulk since I do a lot of laptop work and use them for that as well, but even individually they're pretty cheap.) The rear cover lifts off, leaving the screen attached to the front frame, and the circuit boards attached to the screen. Watch out for any cables that may connect speakers or switches to the rear case.
                Hey Buddy you were so correct I did exactly what you said and it worked perfectly you are a genius I appreciate that so much. This is quite rewarding coming from you because the manufacturer would not help me, it was just a waste of time talking to them. I am now totally surprised though there are no bad caps in there everything looks perfect but when the Monitor is plugged in and not connected to the pc it says no signal and cable is unplugged but the screen is lighted. The Power light is blue and when I plug in the signal cable the screen goes black power light stays on blue but no video is on the screen. Can someone please tell me what could be wrong....all caps looks okay even replaced 3 main ones with new...no cure. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Songre View Post
                  Hey Buddy you were so correct I did exactly what you said and it worked perfectly you are a genius I appreciate that so much. This is quite rewarding coming from you because the manufacturer would not help me, it was just a waste of time talking to them. I am now totally surprised though there are no bad caps in there everything looks perfect but when the Monitor is plugged in and not connected to the pc it says no signal and cable is unplugged but the screen is lighted. The Power light is blue and when I plug in the signal cable the screen goes black power light stays on blue but no video is on the screen. Can someone please tell me what could be wrong....all caps looks okay even replaced 3 main ones with new...no cure. Thanks
                  There are a few easy things you can do
                  Post some detailed photos of your power supply and signal board.
                  It's really easier if you use managed attachments with as close to 2000x2000 resolution.
                  With a signal going to the monitor can you turn it on and off with the front panel power switch?
                  Does it make any difference on how the monitor acts with the ribbon cable disconnected from the LCD panel?Remember make sure you insulate the connectors when it's disconnected.
                  It's really up to you, but you may want to start a new thread in the monitor section. The reason is any trouble shooting or fix of your monitor may be missed depending on which filters are selected when the advanced search feature is selected.
                  Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Originally posted by alexanna View Post
                    There are a few easy things you can do
                    Post some detailed photos of your power supply and signal board.
                    It's really easier if you use managed attachments with as close to 2000x2000 resolution.
                    With a signal going to the monitor can you turn it on and off with the front panel power switch?
                    Does it make any difference on how the monitor acts with the ribbon cable disconnected from the LCD panel?Remember make sure you insulate the connectors when it's disconnected.
                    It's really up to you, but you may want to start a new thread in the monitor section. The reason is any trouble shooting or fix of your monitor may be missed depending on which filters are selected when the advanced search feature is selected.
                    Alexanna I will try and get a camera and post some photos of the Power Board and signal board it is a Acer V173b bm model with internal speakers and I will try some of the methods you suggested but the light is always on blue it never changes and you have the cable not connected info on the screen but as soon as you plug the cable in the PC the screen goes dark and you can't see anything whatsoever not even a dark picture....really needs help to get this monitor working again....Thanks Guys.....Cheers!

Comment

Just replace the Samxon caps before you proceed. They are crap. The bad caps are not always visible but if it is a known bad brand then they should be replaced anyway.

Comment

Samxon is not a bad brand, but the GF series are crap. LG also likes to use them (probably to make the monitors fail just after the warranty runs out)

Comment

Bumped.

Have a problem with this monitor. When I plug it in the power light just flashes yellow, the screen doesn't come on and it doesn't respond to the video cable. I opened it and visually the caps are alright so haven't replaced any. As asked above, there is a different response when the ribbon is unplugged the screen comes on (white) and the power light is blue but there's still no response to the vga cable. But when the ribbon is plugged in the power just flashes yellow..
                          Pics below, any help appreciated.
                          With ffc ribbon plugged in:

With the ribbon unplugged:

Comment

It's obvious that it won't respond when the ribbon is unplugged as there is no data sent to the display. That's why it goes white. That indicates the lamps are working fine, so the fault is not in the inverter.

Check all voltages that go into the logic board and the output of any voltage regulators that are on it.
                            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Bumping this because I bought one of these and I am having a somewhat similar problem. In my case the monitor doesn't respond to inputs consistently... sometimes it will work just fine but usually when given a video input the power light turns as it should but the lamps don't come on nor does the display show any image. I've ruled out the VGA cable and the video source.

My guess is that the controller chip is shot but I wonder if it could be the PSU board? It had some lelons, a jamicon, and a samxon, the latter two of which I replaced. The others I didn't have replacements for on hand...
                              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

For the backlights to come on, it will need 12~18VDC from power supply and the Backlights On command from the logic board, so those are the two things to look for.
                                Never stop learning
                                Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                                  For the backlights to come on, it will need 12~18VDC from power supply and the Backlights On command from the logic board, so those are the two things to look for.
                                  It's not just the backlights, The LCD is black too (I did the so-called "flashlight" test, no image).
                                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

T con could be shorted causing the flashing yellow LED when plugged in, and blue when unplugged...
                                    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

[QUOTE=Aceman;204685]Bumped.

well i have a monitor acer v173 a can't fix it

Comment

no acer

Comment

Working...
                                        X