Need help identifying component

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help identifying component

Good afternoon everyone and Happy Easter!
    I have the head unit (radio) out of my mustang because it works fine for a while, then occasionally it just dies. It acts as if there is a short on the board, I can tap on the chassis and it will come back on for and work perfectly again... I have traced the problem back to this component here. if it isn't working, I can tap directly on this and it will come back on. Can someone help me to identify what this is so that I can then order a replacement?

Thank you in advance for your help.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by lyvemyche; 04-01-2018, 12:39 PM.

Re: Need help identifying component

sup might mean suppressor .. have you checked the solder ?

Comment

I think Ill try to resolder it and see if that helps. I believe it is a suppressor. I also posted in another forum and that has been the best guess...

Comment

You could post the make and model of the radio, or the year of mustang it is from, there might be a schematic around

Comment

it's a spark-gap device, sometimes called a GDT (gas discharge tube)
          the colours indicate the trigger voltage.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
            what use is one of those in car audio ?

Comment

here is a run in I had with a KIA radio.
              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60291

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                here is a run in I had with a KIA radio.
                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60291
                tvs..suppression diode .. spark gap is something else . or so i heard

Comment

it would be nice to see the whole board.

difference between gas discharge and a TVS is, that the first one is a crowbar and the second one a clamp. Both will protect and as long as the TVS is low in capacitance, there is no ill effect either. I use mostly TVS (do a lot with RF and phone lines), they either clamp or short, depending on the event.
                  Last edited by CapLeaker; 04-01-2018, 06:58 PM.

Comment

The device is not needed for the circuit to function, its job is for protection, it will stop the circuit if it is shorted out. You can just lift one legs off the board and check its resistance, it should show infinite resistance.
                    It sounds like you have bad connection.
                    Never stop learning
                    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

yeah, it is between the antenna and the RF input to GND. All it does (if it is shorted) send the antenna to GND on which you'll have a deaf VHF receiver.
                      Problem is that the description of the op is kinda vague.

Comment

if it's across the antenna then it's to protect the radio in a thunderstorm.
                        if it does fail, it will just stop you recieving any stations though, so i think you have other issues.

that said, it looks blackened inside - they should be crystal clear so you can see the electrodes.

about the difference between a spark-gap and a semiconductor like a tvs or a mov.
                        semiconductors switch off at the same point they trip,
                        a spark-gap latches till the energy is gone, but they have a lower capacitance - good for tuned circuits.

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                          Originally posted by stj View Post
                          what use is one of those in car audio ?
                          Running from a 12v battery might sound really simple, but the power supply in a car can be very noisy, lots of voltage spikes etc, especially when the engine is starting or when it is shut off, EMI from ignition system when running, etc.

Also lots of potential for ESD events since the car is insulated by the tires and high voltages can build up (Ever get a static shock when stepping out of your car?)

Check the attached document: Protection of automotive electronics from electrical hazards, guidelines for design and component selection.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Agent24; 04-02-2018, 02:37 PM. Reason: Context
                          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                          -David VanHorn

Comment

Thanks for all of your input guys, I really do appreciate it. From what I have learned in the last few days... Its a gas discharge supressor that protects the radio from static discharge. I understand that normally this suppressor is an open circuit and it protects by absorbing, or shorting any static charge to ground, which is the right suppressor lead as shown in the photo. I have also been told that if this has protected the head enough times, the gap may be damaged and is shorting out, perhaps a loose speck of metal in the gap randomly shorts it and it works again... I have ordered another one and I am now waiting on it to arrive. What has been happening is that radio will work fine, then one day, you'll get in and it just wont power up again. The clock will randomly flash, that's about it. With the radio opened up I plugged it all back in and turned on the key, still nothing. If I lightly tap directly on the suppressor, it comes right back on again, everytime and works perfectly until a couple of cycles of the key then its out again.

Comment

It may also be a bad solder joint or other faulty component near the suppressor.
                              "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                              -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                              X