Samsung Syncmaster 215tw replacement caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung Syncmaster 215tw replacement caps

Hello badcaps, i'm new to posting however I have been scanning through the forum recently in order to fix my flickering monitor .

My 22' Syncmaster (that I regretfully paid $500 ago 3 years ago) is starting to die out. During cold starts, it flickers madly until it blanks. It would begin to work if I let it sit for a minute or two and let it heat up.. or by unplugging/plugging in the DVI cable until the picture comes up.

This morning it took longer for it to finally give ma a stable picture.. after about an hour of turning the monitor on and off and pulling cables I finally took the time to take the piece of crap apart and check out the capacitors.

Since I don't have a camera with me I borrowed a picture off the forum from someone (username TX1) who had the same problem as me and had posted a picture: http://img256.*************/img256/6537/img2095t.jpg

The caps are listed as followed:

3x 25v 330 uF 105°
    2x 25v 820 uF 105°
    1x 50v 47 uF 105°

All caps are made by Capxon and while they don't have any battery leaks that I can see.. most of them have a slight bulge on the top so I am planning to replace all of them.

My question is.. this is my first time replacing caps so I want to be looking for the right ones. Do I just have to look for capacitors that match the temp, volt and capacity? Frys electronics has a whole aisle full of capacitors so i'm pretty sure I can find some replacements there..

Thanks hope you guys can help me solve my problem

Re: Samsung Syncmaster 215tw replacement caps

Originally posted by Jinatra
    Hello badcaps, i'm new to posting however I have been scanning through the forum recently in order to fix my flickering monitor .

My 22' Syncmaster (that I regretfully paid $500 ago 3 years ago) is starting to die out. During cold starts, it flickers madly until it blanks. It would begin to work if I let it sit for a minute or two and let it heat up.. or by unplugging/plugging in the DVI cable until the picture comes up.

This morning it took longer for it to finally give ma a stable picture.. after about an hour of turning the monitor on and off and pulling cables I finally took the time to take the piece of crap apart and check out the capacitors.

Since I don't have a camera with me I borrowed a picture off the forum from someone (username TX1) who had the same problem as me and had posted a picture: http://img256.*************/img256/6537/img2095t.jpg

The caps are listed as followed:

3x 25v 330 uF 105°
    2x 25v 820 uF 105°
    1x 50v 47 uF 105°

All caps are made by Capxon and while they don't have any battery leaks that I can see.. most of them have a slight bulge on the top so I am planning to replace all of them.

My question is.. this is my first time replacing caps so I want to be looking for the right ones. Do I just have to look for capacitors that match the temp, volt and capacity? Frys electronics has a whole aisle full of capacitors so i'm pretty sure I can find some replacements there..

Thanks hope you guys can help me solve my problem
    It's not a big problem. Measure the diameter and height of the capacitors. You don't want to buy a cap that's too tall or too big around. Don't buy caps from Frys Electronics. Their products are not rated for low ESR, and are grossly overpriced compared to normal distributors.

I buy my caps from Digikey. If you use their first class mail delivery option shipping will run under $3.00. Use this procedure to choose the right caps. https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...5&postcount=11

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Fry's, in my area at least, carries only NTE capacitors. They are not suitable for a monitor. (LCD monitor requires 105c, low ESR capacitors)

Comment

Well kind of bit the bullet and went to Frys before anyone responded and grabbed everything I needed..

As the above user said the only caps Frys carried were NTE. I didn't know that they were not suitable for monitors but I bought them anyways.. more on that later

Here's the following replacements that I purchased to help those with the same monitor:

3x 25 v 470 uF
        2x 50 v 1000 uF
        1x 50v 47 uF

The big 1000 uF caps gave me a little scare because they were bigger than the original 820 uF crapxon caps.. but they just barely had enough space to make a good fit.

In total (w/ soldering stick and some flux) the price was almost 30 bucks.. Yes Frys is pretty expensive when it came to caps but I wanted my monitor to be fixed asap.

Anyways I just finished everything up and after a brief scare of having no image the monitor came back to life !

weirdlookinguy, since I did replace the caps with NTE caps is there something I should be worried about? Everything seems to be okay after about an hour after the swap.

Comment

Originally posted by Jinatra
          Well kind of bit the bullet and went to Frys before anyone responded and grabbed everything I needed..

As the above user said the only caps Frys carried were NTE. I didn't know that they were not suitable for monitors but I bought them anyways.. more on that later

Here's the following replacements that I purchased to help those with the same monitor:

3x 25 v 470 uF
          2x 50 v 1000 uF
          1x 50v 47 uF

The big 1000 uF caps gave me a little scare because they were bigger than the original 820 uF crapxon caps.. but they just barely had enough space to make a good fit.

In total (w/ soldering stick and some flux) the price was almost 30 bucks.. Yes Frys is pretty expensive when it came to caps but I wanted my monitor to be fixed asap.

Anyways I just finished everything up and after a brief scare of having no image the monitor came back to life !

weirdlookinguy, since I did replace the caps with NTE caps is there something I should be worried about? Everything seems to be okay after about an hour after the swap.
          Heat conditions of the inside of a poorly ventilated LCD unit plus overheating because of higher ESR than it should be (GP caps have higher ESR and will overheat easily and even more in those conditions) will lead to a shorter life on the caps.
          Just hope that when the newly-installed-expensive-GP-caps blow, they don't take any other component with them.
          There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
          • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
          • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
          • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
          • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
          • Windows 10 Pro x64
          • GeForce GT1050
            2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

I rec'd one of these today

My understanding there were problems with a poor response to
            redraw time such as opening or closing a window and
            there was significant ghosting also.

The PSU is a FSP (Fortron Source Power) FSP060-1PI01
            The PSU outputs;
            DC + 13.0V 1.80 A max.
            AC +900.0V 0.009 A max.

I replaced all the can lytics as with;
            1 of Black 10 uF 50 V CapXon KF 105 deg C123
            replaced with
            1 of Black 33 uF 50 V Pana FC 105 deg

2 of Black 1000 uF 25 V CapXon KF 105 deg C261, C263
            replaced with
            2 of Black 1000 uF 16 V Pana FC 105 deg

1 of Black 470 uF 25 V CapXon KF 105 deg C265
            replaced with
            1 of Black 470 uF 35 V Rubycon YXB 105 deg

2 of Black 1000 uF 25 V CapXon KF 105 deg C327, C3283
            replaced with
            2 of Black 1000 uF 16 V Pana FC 105 deg

In any event they all looked ok and the ESR was ok.
            Having replaced the caps, the problems persist with the VDU.

Suspect the issue is with logic board.
            This is populated with what appear (at first glance) to be
            solid polymer SMT caps.

Any advice or pointers?

Thx.

Comment

My Samsung 215TW was built in 2006.. Its power board is BN44-001278. With those information found here and other places, I bought 5 aluminum capacitors at digikey.com and fixed my monitor yesterday.

493-1558-ND Nichicon UHE1E102MHD6 CAP ALUM 1000UF 25V 20% RADIAL (2pc x $0.82000) $1.64
              493-6877-ND Nichicon UHW1E102MPD CAP ALUM 1000UF 25V 20% RADIAL (2pc x $0.93000) $1.86
              P15362CT-ND Panasonic EEU-FR1E471LB CAP ALUM 470UF 25V 20% RADIAL (1pc x $0.98000) $0.98

The usps 1st class shipping costs $3. And I get the parcel in 7 days.

Thank for the help.
              Attached Files

Comment

My Samsung 215TW was built in 2006.. Its power board is BN44-001278. This board has 6 Capxon aluminum capacitors, 3 of them are bad. I changed 5 capacitors

The original capacitors
                capxon KF series. 470uF, 25V, Dia 10mm, height 16mm, Ripple 1200mA, impedance 76mOhm
                capxon KF series. 1000uF, 25V, Dia 13mm, height 20mm, Ripple 1650mA, impedance 45mOhm

capxon KF series. the details are at page 122.

Comment

Working...
                X