8mb bios file is too long for 8mb chip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8mb bios file is too long for 8mb chip?

I decided to start a new thread, in hopes there are folks more knowledgeable than I. I searched high and low until I found a bios file that I needed, eventually I prevailed. I tried to program the chip and received the error message "file is to long"!!! Interestingly, I have tried several bios files that were 8mb in length ON THE SAME CHIP with no error messages. I'm guessing the bios file MUST have a tiny useless file within, correct? When I check the size of a different Samsung 8mb bios file that lets me program the chip, it's the same size as the 8mb Samsung bios file that returns an error. So basically we must be talking about a few kb difference correct?

Re: 8mb bios file is too long for 8mb chip?

Attach the BIOS file here and we'll take a look. Some BIOS files have some extra info appended at the end for the manufacturers' BIOS update tools to use. This info prevents, for instance, flashing it on the wrong system. Sometimes it is also responsible for detecting whether the battery is charged or the AC adapter is plugged in, sometimes they use a separate utility for that.

This kind of BIOS file is very common with Dell for example, or other laptops that use Phoenix BIOS (.WPH files). Most of the time it's a simple job of trimming the end of the file so it fits exactly into your BIOS chip.
    Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 12-26-2014, 08:40 AM.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Hello,

Thanks in advance, here's the file..

Comment

Well, guess not it claims it's an invalid file...One sec I'll figure this mess out.

Comment

Let's try this! changed it to an .rar file.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for all the help I solved the problem I just needed to re download the file

Comment

Hi,
              Iam new to this site,but found interesting discussion and solutions.So,here is my issues Iam trying to flash my BIOS chip W25X80VSIG.I have EZP2010 programmer but BIOS file i downloaded from Fuji Siemens website(laptop model Esprimo Mobile 9400) it's say too long(file Size 1027 KB).Can i get help how to troubleshoot this issue.I have read some thread which discuss on this. kindly help.Thanks
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi!
                I have problem here on Hp G6 1125sm. I download bios file from hp support in exe file and then unpack bios. when i took file from unpacked bios with ezp 2010 its say"file is to big"
                any advice

Comment

upload the extracted file.

Comment

board is DAOR22MB6D1 R22
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X