HP1955 Board Burnout - Is it Fixable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP1955 Board Burnout - Is it Fixable?

Recently, to my alarm, my HP1955 monitor started smoking when turned on. I quickly removed the power and put it outside to cool down.

I was going to ditch it, but wondered if it might be fixable. When I removed the back, I could see that smoke had come from the melting plastic of two transistors and the capacitor (?) between them. I have included a photo of the area:

I'm not electronics expert, but I can wield a soldering iron so I thought I'd seek help from this forum. I would appreciate any help in identifying what has caused this fault, and what parts should be replaced in order to fix the problem (and where I might be able to get them from).

Thanks,

Harvey Wilson

Re: HP1955 Board Burnout - Is it Fixable?

Originally posted by harveywilson View Post
    When I removed the back, I could see that smoke had come from the melting plastic of two transistors and the capacitor (?) between them.
    This is a Benq board so the Q808 and Q809 are likely C5707 transistors. If they melted, I would also check with a multimeter the picofuse (PF701), Q805, Q812, Q815, Q816.

Q805 and Q812 are likely to be FU9024.

You must also resolder all the pins on the transformers.

Sellers on ebay offer repair kits. Search for "c5707 kit".

In addition, most here will suggest you recap all the capacitors with quality caps using Panasonic, Rubycon, or United Chemicon.

PS. Insert pics like this

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1868
    Last edited by retiredcaps; 07-29-2010, 07:03 PM.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Retiredcaps beat me to it. Follow his instructions.

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, and sorry about the pictures.

I can find the C5707's on a local auction site, so no problem there.

Q815 and Q805 are "J598" - not sure where to get those.

The picofuse is intact.

I'm also not sure where to get a replacement for the grey R75 MKP capacitor that has heat damage.

Comment

To me the melting of the c5707 looks scary.
          What is the amprage rating of pf701,And did it go open?
          What dose the back of the board look like?
          Al.
          Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Here's the back of the board

I can see heat damage to the solder joints of Q805, 808 and 809.

And pf701 has 5 A printed on it.
            Attached Files

Comment

5 Amps seams like a hell of alot 17" are only using 2a fuses.
              When I have substuted a 3a fuse for testing it got hot but never caused smoke.Some one needs to verify correct amprage of that fuse,I am afraid were going to have a fire.
              Al.
              Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

That's what worried me at the time.

Do you recommend replacing the fuse with 3A?

Comment

No not at this time lets see if someone can find the correct specs.
                  I dont think it will take long
                  Al.

Comment

That's what worried me at the time.

Do you recommend replacing the fuse with 3A?
                    I have had 5 Benq boards at one point or another and all have been 3A/125V picofuse. NEVER seen anything higher.

And I think I will suggest that it is mandatory that you change all the electrolytic caps given the age of the monitor and how it went up in smoke.
                    Last edited by retiredcaps; 07-29-2010, 11:44 PM.
                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Q815 and Q805 are "J598" - not sure where to get those.

The picofuse is intact.

I'm also not sure where to get a replacement for the grey R75 MKP capacitor that has heat damage.
                      You may not have to replace Q815 and Q805 if they are not shorted. Test with your multimeter set on ohms. With power off and monitor unplugged,

put black on pin 1, red on 2 - read ohm
                      put black on pin 1, red on 3 - read ohm
                      put black on pin 2, red on 3 - read ohm

All the reading should be well over 500 ohms or so.

Repeat test as above, but with diode checker. After the 3 readings, reverse the leads so you should have 6 readings in total.

From what I'm learning the grey capacitor can take a lot of abuse. I accidentally touched the side of it with a solder iron and it still works.
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                        I have had 5 Benq boards at one point or another and all have been 3A/125V picofuse. NEVER seen anything higher.
                        Just searched through this forum and found this (even the same smoked c5707)

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...hlight=5a+fuse

It looks like 5A is the correct picofuse value for this monitor.
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

If the 5a fuse was original,And it caused that much damage and did not open,I wonder if there was a safty recall?
                          Call me chicken, but I would see if it could handel a 2or3a fuse.
                          Al.

Comment

The manufacturer will have selected 5A for a reason. The fuse *isn't* intended to prevent the 2SC5707 flameout - semiconductors die several orders or magnitude faster than fuses. I have repaired many of these Benq/Acer configurations and never felt the inclination to fiddle with the fuse rating.

What often happens is the transistor providing the PWM drive the the inverter pair fails, which causes the 5707's to overheat and die.
                            Friends don't let friends buy Samsung ....

Comment

The failures on these monitors are quite well understood. A bad solder joint on the transformer will cause one of the C5707's to short, resulting in the other shorting. This will often cause the associated mosfet to short, and MAY cause the fuse to blow.

Transistors are encased in self-extinguishing plastics. There is no reason to get into a panic about a little smoke. Do a little math, alexanna. If the transistors short with a fairly high resistance - say 10 ohms - you have 2.5 amps at 12 Volts - 30 watts being dissipated. Yes, it's going to stink. No, it's not going to set the room on fire.

The cap SHOULD be replaced if there is any physical damage. .22 uF, 160 volt. The two bipolar transistors (C5707) and the FET above it (FU9024N).

PlainBill
                              Last edited by PlainBill; 07-30-2010, 06:40 AM.
                              For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Thanks PlainBill, I'm going to try and find the parts and give that a go. Just one further question; the FET on my board is marked J598, is the FU9024N an equivalent part?

Harvey

Comment

I might re-acquire my BenQ QT73 and replace the two other transistors attached to the heatsink, they test shorted, I just hit the point whether I wondered if it was worth it.

It has new 2SC5707s, some caps, resoldered transformers and pico fuse.
                                  Last edited by seanc; 07-30-2010, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by seanc View Post
                                    I just hit the point whether I wondered if it was worth it.
                                    Used 19 inch LCDs sell anywhere from $40 CDN to $70 CDN on craigslist/kijiji. Once in a while, I see a 19 inch LCD sell for $20, but they often get snapped up quickly.

Used 17 inch LCDs sell anywhere from $30 CDN to $50 CDN on craigslist/kijiji.
                                    Last edited by retiredcaps; 07-30-2010, 03:49 PM.
                                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                      Used 19 inch LCDs sell anywhere from $40 CDN to $70 CDN on craigslist/kijiji. Once in a while, I see a 19 inch LCD sell for $20, but they often get snapped up quickly.
                                      Mine's a 17", but yeah, maybe I'll rescue it.

If nothing else, I can donate it to someone in need

Comment

Thanks PlainBill, I'm going to try and find the parts and give that a go. Just one further question; the FET on my board is marked J598, is the FU9024N an equivalent part?

Harvey
                                        Yes, according to a quick look at the datasheets.

PlainBill

Comment

Working...
                                        X