15" laptops - A 2017 Odyssey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

15" laptops - A 2017 Odyssey

Has anyone tried to buy a decent, used 15.6" laptop as of late?

We'll look at the offerings of Dell and HP, because they're really the only ones producing somewhat quality workstation-class models. With Dell it's Latitude (with Precision being a full-blown workstation model and out of reach financially), and with HP it's Elitebook.

Now let's examine some reasonable modern-day requirements:

1) Haswell or better (We'll get into that later)
    2) HD+ LCD or better (HDF, HD+, FHD is 1366x768, 1600x900, and 1920x1080)
    3) At least 8gb of RAM
    4) Provision for M.2 or at at the very least mSATA

Now some things that are nice to have:

1) Modular RAM
    2) Modular CPU

Something we do not want is a discrete GPU (more on this later). A mobile Haswell CPU is already pushing 80c+ under full load.

Another thing that should be avoided are AMD platforms. Not until mobile Ryzen chips start becoming available. But if AMD is going to blunder like they did when Core2 came out, they'll be three years too late to the mobile market and then release something lacklustre.

Now, let's discuss why we would want at minimum a Haswell CPU. Let's keep in mind that the intended use for the laptop will be mainly wasting time on Youtube on Windows 7. Now we can't use IE11 or Edge on Windows 7 because IE11 lacks good HTML5 support on Windows 7, and Edge is not available for Windows 7. We can't use WIndows 8+ because of the telemetry.

So our next best choice is Chrome/Chromium. Now Chromium requires a minimum of the Haswell GPU for hardware rasterization (You can force-enable it, but it won't work properly and will give you a message in chrome://gpu that it wants a minimum of Haswell). So that's why an Ivy Bridge laptop is out of the question.

So after proper configuration, this is the expected Haswell benchmark result:

Now you can ignore native gpu memory buffers - eventhough it has been force enabled from the command line, it doesn't work in any version of Windows. Ideally, we would want to use a minimum of Skylake so that Zero Copy could also be taken advantage of. But I did in fact find that chalkboard scored 1 second or so better with it enabled on Haswell. Also, the cost of a used Skylake laptop doesn't justify the extra expense for the small performance gain.

Now, which laptops are out and why? Well HP Envy is the easy answer. Don't get me wrong... HP Envys had their day. Their Arrandale models were decent and built in-house. Their newer models just seem to be based on a generic ultrabook design.

Let's have a comparative look at the Envy 15 and the Toshiba P50:

Is it just me, or does it look like Sager or some other company in China is just cranking out these generic Ultrabooks and then the companies are just slapping their logos on them?

They simply won't do. And what's with HP and their nuevo garbage 4mm AC adapter plugs? Yes, because you really want to rely on an angled power connector that's only 4mm pushing 90w into your laptop.

Moving on, a personal concern of mine is that when I use my laptop in bed, I lay in a west-east direction, with my head positioned westward and my feet eastward. The laptop I had been using for years and which was getting very long in the tooth (HP G56, Core2Duo T8100) conveniently had the DC socket positioned at the right side of the laptop nearest to the AC outlet.

Now one early consideration was an HP Envy 15... You have to be careful with these though. Most of them have nVidia graphics, but some don't. Get one with an nVidia chip and you'll be sitting on a paperweight that won't post in a few years because the GPU has bit the bucket. With the Haswell models, the ones that don't are also missing the M.2 socket. I thought I might just add one myself which wouldn't be too difficult, but I ultimately decided against the Envy because quite frankly, they are poorly built junk.

Another real problem with the Haswell Envys is that they also have the dreaded 4mm DC jacks everyone complains about, and they're located to the left of the laptop, which would be a bit inconvenient.

To make a long story short, I ultimately decided on the Dell Latitude E6540. It is in order of magnitude superior to any Envy counterpart.

Now one very important consideration with the E6540 was that it had to be the model WITHOUT discrete video. The one with the dedicated Radeon 8790M is a paperweight, because the chip just runs too hot... There are also many reports of this at the Notebookcheck forum. They should be avoided at all cost.

I eventually managed to find a used E6540 locally in almost pristine condition with the specs I wanted. I paid $360 USD for it. The specs are i7-4610m, 16gb, 1920x1080.

Here are some pros and cons:

Pros:
    - Has an mSata slot
    - RAM and CPU are modular (for future CPU upgrade)
    - The screen uses a Samsung IPS panel and it is leaps and bounds better than the old 1366x768 LCD on the HP G56
    - Backlit keyboard

Cons:
    - The DC jack is on the back of the chassis but at the very left of it
    - The DC jack is the same size as the HP's, but the fit isn't as snug
    - The keyboard has a number pad, which means the actual keyboard is much smaller than the HP's and less comfortable to use (this is in bold because this is probably my biggest gripe with modern 15.6" laptops)
    - The touchpad/pointing stick combo are Alps and not Synaptic (Though I must admit that Alps has improved quite a bit over the years. I have no problems with it whatsoever and it works just as well as the HP's Synaptic touch pad after some fiddling with its driver/software
    - The touchpad is too small

One other small quirk with it is that if you have the modular bay enabled in the BIOS (read: optical drive), the ODD will emit a weird chirp every few minutes (and no, it's not coming from the HDD). This is easily remedied by disabling it in the BIOS, and it's not that inconvenient at all since no one really uses it that much these days anyhow. And it may in fact be unique to the LG drive itself, and not to Dell's implementation.

Other than that, I am very pleased with the E6540. It is an absolute pleasure to use as opposed to the HP G56 which was becoming slower and slower by the day... and not for lack of maintenance -- to the contrary, I kept it in pristine shape. The problem is that an old Core2 laptop just can't handle modern sites like Youtube anymore. That is to say - not if you want to get the full experience, like 1080p or 60fps video. The E6540 barely breaks a sweat with these tasks, and the CPU temperature rarely goes above 50.

One thing to ponder is the shift in manufacturers attentions towards 14" laptops. Needless to say, Haswell 14" models, are a dime a dozen and readily available inexpensively (it is the 15.6" models which are a rarity). But why the shift in trend? Aren't people aware of the fact that they are going to be staring at an LCD for hours on end, and if they are destined to do so, they should at least stare at something as large as possible without sacrificing portability?

Does anyone else think that 14" is pushing things too far when it comes to a daily use machine?

Thank you for reading this and your comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Re: 15" laptops - A 2017 Odyssey

Well I haven't bought a used laptop in over 5 years now, but for two years I've been using the 15.6" Thinkpad L540 with a Haswell i5 4200M (2core,4thread) and 1920x1080 LCD TN panel (LED backlight, upgradable panel). It's got no discrete GPU, so you can imagine it was a bit painful to get it working with Windows XP x64 (as you know I do not use anything above XP, never have and never will) but eventually I was able to hack the GT2 embedded driver to "sorta" work with it, with some caveats:

1. If the laptop is started from the battery, it first boots up fine but after ~15 seconds on the desktop it begins to increase contrast/saturation and is unusable, what has to be done is the monitor Hz rate needs changing from 60hz to 50hz for only G-d knows what reason, after which the color reproduction normalizes. If I wish to have any custom color settings I also need to reapply them after this procedure every single time. Also I cannot reproduce this while booting from AC power, so it's a strange phenomenon.

2. In order to operate the monitor at 60hz I must cycle through first 1920x1080@50hz 16bit, then return to 1920x1080@60hz 32bit. Otherwise the screen begins to flicker and becomes black, sort of like an old dead Nvidia chip.

None of above 2 issues are present in Windows 7, so it is purely driver related.

3. There is some tearing, though not nearly as bad as the GT630 we were talking about some months ago. It is manageable and I can view youtube just fine. (speaking of which, I use only Flash-based youtube players, as HTML5 increases tearing in most browser implementations). Of course if you want no tearing at all then look no further than SVPtube which allows you to stream youtube videos in MPC-HC without having to download them.

4. The other big problem with this laptop was the WiFi Card, which is M.2, and is complete and utter garbage (you cannot watch a single youtube video without huge packet loss, then disconnection, and this is on Windows 7 so no driver issues!) AND it does not have a XP driver at all. To make matters worse I can't just throw in a mPCIe card either since there is no slot for it. So I have no choice but to use an external USB nano WiFi adapter, I had one laying around from ~2008 which supports 802.11n and is working perfectly.

5. The screen kind of sucks. As in the colors are washed out, backlight bleeding, the lot. Maybe I have too high expectations considering the desktop monitors I'm using so perhaps it's just a matter of laptop LCD displays indeed still being mediocre in 2017 :P Of course with ThinkPads there is always upgrades available, at quick glance I can find a compatible IPS 1920x1080 screen.

Can't think of anything else wrong with it from the top of my head but with all above taken into consideration, I am fairly satisfied with the $1000 purchase I made. I get a modern Haswell-based system that still supports XP (all other devices have drivers, except the WiFi card), is not styled like a childrens toy and has good and sturdy build quality. The keyboard, despite not being the classic ThinkPad one, is a joy to type long essays on, sort of has a mechanical feel to it. I hate M.2 but since you mentioned you need it, this laptop offers 2 of those. It only comes with 4GB of DDR3 RAM but of course you can always upgrade that (up to 16GB), I'm sure everyone here has these sticks laying around. Touchpad is Synaptic, has driver support and there's no problems with it. And the DC jack is rectangular in design and feels very well made, this is the type of high quality I expect from a ThinkPad really.

Dunno what else to say about it, needed an upgrade from a shitty Turion 64 laptop, am pretty happy with what I got. I'm sure you can find these ThinkPads used for a more reasonable price these days, I'd expect something around $350-500.

As for the screen size issue, well I recently (a month ago) got a new old stock Asus EEE PC from 2014. Don't remember the model right now but it's got a Atom N2600 CPU (2core,4thread) and I believe it's a 10.1" screen with 1024x600 resolution. I think the screen quality is overall better than even the ThinkPad but it's definitely not something I'd feel comfortable working on. Youtube and such is fine but programming for example... meh. I could deal with a 1024x768 screen with a decent size (14" 4:3 is alright) but it's not really possible to do work on this thing. And I suppose it was never meant to anyway, it's to watch youtube and browse forums etc. Which it does fine for the most part but I would prefer a beefier processor myself. Anyway I got it mainly for "nostalgia" reasons as I used to own the original Asus EEE PC in 2007 so brings back some memories. I'll have to figure out if I need it now lol, if I can put it to some kind of use.

That's about all I guess.

P.S. I was wondering, where have you been these months? Haven't seen you on IRC!
    Last edited by aztekk; 07-21-2017, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Good to see you, Mockingbird....I've been wondering where you've been.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Where did the Graphics Feature Status list come from?

I still don't know why people like Synaptics touchpads. I've never seen a good one.

Comment

I'd continue to look at a Dell Latitude E6540. Solid design; it appears to be the same physical hardware design as the E6x20's and E6x30's. My E6430 kicks ass other than flimsy speakers (solid design and a hardware swapper's dream to work on), so I'd expect the E6540 to do the same. Keep an eye out for a deal; I'm sure one w/o hybrid (discreet) graphics at a good price will turn up.

I'm personally not a fan of Lenovo or Dell Latitude E5xxx units, so you won't get a good word from me on those. The former for being locked down against mods and swaps (unlike every dell Latitude and Precision I've ever worked on), and the latter for being plastic and honestly not worth the cost savings as a used unit (not to mention my E5530's cast zinc hinges of DOOM ).

Then there is the option of a 3rd Gen Macbook Pro (made on or after Late 2013), but the SSDs (mSATA electrically?) are proprietary and everything else is soldered (which can be a good thing, and often times a bad thing as we all know around here). Not to mention the pricing is steep and LG retina panels are a known problem. Still not a badly built laptop IMHO (I'd love to own one, but I haven't been able to justify the cost); if you come across one w/o hybrid Graphics that's cheap (some fool thinks its junk), it might be worth considering.

I can't speak on HP elitebooks but that might be another option?
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
            Now we can't use IE11 or Edge on Windows 7 because IE11 lacks good HTML5 support on Windows 7, and Edge is not available for Windows 7. We can't use WIndows 8+ because of the telemetry.

So our next best choice is Chrome/Chromium. Now Chromium requires a minimum of the Haswell GPU for hardware rasterization (You can force-enable it, but it won't work properly and will give you a message in chrome://gpu that it wants a minimum of Haswell). So that's why an Ivy Bridge laptop is out of the question.
            I feel there is a logical fallacy here.
            You can't use anything newer than Windows 7 due to it's telemetry yet you can use Chrome?
            That's like saying you're fine with letting a a trojan horse into Troy
            (Yes I realize there are Chromium based alternatives, I use Opera myself).

Kaby Lake is not supported on Windows 7 any more.
            And while Microsoft have promised that it's predecessor Skylake will be supported on Windows 7 I don't know how much their word is worth.
            Just ask people with Clover Trail processors how well they are working on Windows 10 after the latest updates.
            Just something to keep in mind since you wrote "why we would want at minimum a Haswell CPU"
            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by aztekk View Post
              P.S. I was wondering, where have you been these months? Haven't seen you on IRC!
              Hi aztekk! Long time no see!!! I've been meaning to drop by the myce IRC to speak with you and follow up about the tearing...
              Well I haven't bought a used laptop in over 5 years now, but for two years I've been using the 15.6" Thinkpad L540 with a Haswell i5 4200M (2core,4thread) and 1920x1080 LCD TN panel (LED backlight, upgradable panel). It's got no discrete GPU, so you can imagine it was a bit painful to get it working with Windows XP x64 (as you know I do not use anything above XP, never have and never will) but eventually I was able to hack the GT2 embedded driver to "sorta" work with it, with some caveats:
              Hey have you seen the new updates Microsoft has actually released for XP 64 recently? It's incredible! Time to make a new slipstream and reinstall. The Samsung LCD on the Dell is IPS but there was some benefit to the old TN panel on the HP... The most important thing was that the backlight went down to an incredibly low level which was very good for the circadian rythm when watching stuff at night... The Samsung at its lowest setting is like the TN panel at its brightest one he he. On the other hand, it's really incredible how much more viewing angle you get on an IPS screen.
              1. If the laptop is started from the battery,<snip>
              Thanks for the info... So aside from ignoring the system devices with exclamation points which are just renamed PCI.SYS entries, everything else installs fine with Haswell? (i.e. SMBus?)...
              3. There is some tearing, though not nearly as bad as the GT630 we were talking about some months ago. It is manageable and I can view youtube just fine. (speaking of which, I use only Flash-based youtube players, as HTML5 increases tearing in most browser implementations). Of course if you want no tearing at all then look no further than SVPtube which allows you to stream youtube videos in MPC-HC without having to download them.
              You know what? GDI+ tears in Windows 7 too, and probably also in Windows 8 and 10... It seems that Microsoft never fixed it properly... From what you're saying, it seems manufacturer specific.

What was odd about this GTX650 and XP64 which we were discussing was that it was not detecting this old LG LCD properly through the DVI port. Apparently, the last driver where this worked properly was 347.88, and downgrading to it fixed it...

But I got an XFX 9800GT with S-Video for like 10 bucks so what I want to do now is undervolt and underclock the heck out of it, and then buy a nice quiet cooler for it and run it in this thing.
              The other big problem with this laptop was the WiFi Card, which is M.2, and is complete and utter garbage (you cannot watch a single youtube video without huge packet loss, then disconnection, and this is on Windows 7 so no driver issues!) AND it does not have a XP driver at all. To make matters worse I can't just throw in a mPCIe card either since there is no slot for it. So I have no choice but to use an external USB nano WiFi adapter, I had one laying around from ~2008 which supports 802.11n and is working perfectly.
              Yes, people have been complaining about the new Intel M.2 WiFi cards... The E6540 comes with the previous gen connector and it has a 6235 which works perfectly (also had a 6235 on the old HP G56 which was superb). Are you certain that no one makes an M.2 card with XP drivers?
              I am fairly satisfied with the $1000 purchase I made.
              Wow, $1000!? долои kapitalist
              Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              Good to see you, Mockingbird....I've been wondering where you've been.
              Hey, good to see you too brother Eh, not been up to much, just hanging in there...
              Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
              I'd continue to look at a Dell Latitude E6540. Solid design; it appears to be the same physical hardware design as the E6x20's and E6x30's. My E6430 kicks ass other than flimsy speakers (solid design and a hardware swapper's dream to work on), so I'd expect the E6540 to do the same. Keep an eye out for a deal; I'm sure one w/o hybrid (discreet) graphics at a good price will turn up.
              Turn on "Loudness Equalization"... It improves the audio significantly (at least it does on the E6540).
              I'm personally not a fan of Lenovo or Dell Latitude E5xxx units, so you won't get a good word from me on those.
              Yes... The E5540 is NOT really a Latitude, even if they call it one... Different chassis completely - and everyone says it's junk.
              Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
              I feel there is a logical fallacy here.
              You can't use anything newer than Windows 7 due to it's telemetry yet you can use Chrome?
              That's like saying you're fine with letting a a trojan horse into Troy
              (Yes I realize there are Chromium based alternatives, I use Opera myself).

Kaby Lake is not supported on Windows 7 any more.
              And while Microsoft have promised that it's predecessor Skylake will be supported on Windows 7 I don't know how much their word is worth.
              Just ask people with Clover Trail processors how well they are working on Windows 10 after the latest updates.
              Just something to keep in mind since you wrote "why we would want at minimum a Haswell CPU"
              I did a double-take on this post because I originally thought you were wrong (since I'm using a Chromium 64 build sans sync/webrtc/widevine), but you're actually right. Chromium still does phone home, but there is someone working on a clean build (albeit unsuccessfully so far).

And I am missing IE/Firefox increasingly the more I use Chromium... Hmmm, maybe Firefox got their act together and they're worth giving a look for a life-wasting Youtube laptop...

For this productivity desktop with circa 2008 parts, it's all XP/Firefox though. And Firefox with CTR/Status4Ever tweaked in a way as to serve as a refuge that offers sanctity and sanity when fleeing from the Windows 7 laptop (It is slow as molasses though when browsing since Firefox stripped any real hardware acceleration out of later builds on XP).

Attached Files
              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Hey have you seen the new updates Microsoft has actually released for XP 64 recently? It's incredible! Time to make a new slipstream and reinstall. The Samsung LCD on the Dell is IPS but there was some benefit to the old TN panel on the HP... The most important thing was that the backlight went down to an incredibly low level which was very good for the circadian rythm when watching stuff at night... The Samsung at its lowest setting is like the TN panel at its brightest one he he. On the other hand, it's really incredible how much more viewing angle you get on an IPS screen.
                Yeah Microsoft releases updates for XP... POSready till April 9, 2019, you can enable them on any 32-bit XP version with a simple registry tweak. And even without that, Microsoft has released patches for serious vulns like MS17-010 for all XP users, including XP64. With that said I prefer the stability of the RTM Server 2003 SP2 codebase so I only really install updates that I require (such as the SHA256 algorithm for SSL certificates).

I prefer using TN panels until OLED becomes realistic at reasonable prices and MTBF. I have tested a lot of desktop monitors and I selectively eliminated ones that cannot produce a decent image, in the end I got TN panels that can produce an image with color accuracy and contrast ratio very similar or even better than my old 1990s Compaq CRT's. No backlight bleed or ghosting issues like with IPS, and the panel will probably last forever. Granted it ain't no FW900 (I frickin' threw away a Trintron back in the day!! ) but still is very sufficient and I don't really desire anything more.

As for laptop displays, I don't really care. May as well be black and white because they are purely for work and business, nothing that requires a superior display.

Thanks for the info... So aside from ignoring the system devices with exclamation points which are just renamed PCI.SYS entries, everything else installs fine with Haswell? (i.e. SMBus?)...
                Haswell is the last platform for which Intel provides official (= publicly released) chipset drivers, so no exclamation marks (except for the POS Intel WIfi card, that was btw recalled and I missed the deadline). That includes the iGPU drivers for those systems, Iris GT2 or Pro or whatever its called. The only catch with these "embedded beta really development testing only srsly plz dont install unless ur an Intel employee" drivers is that they support functionality level until IVY BRIDGE. What this means in English is they do not enable support for any new CPU/chipset features introduced with the 8 series platform, I guess its new pstates and such junk. It works perfectly, if you can live with some quirks with the iGPU.

I don't have the link to the embedded driver atm (it's hidden fairly well) but if you're interested I can look 'em up and send you. It's clear you prefer NT5 as everyone who isn't insane does, so I guess it's worth giving a shot since you happen to have a Haswell system. Didn't check what iGPU you have though, is it GT2?

You know what? GDI+ tears in Windows 7 too, and probably also in Windows 8 and 10... It seems that Microsoft never fixed it properly... From what you're saying, it seems manufacturer specific.
                GDI+ is discontinued since Windows 8, and afair you can't easily enable it as an end user. That said, while I was naive thinking I can make Win8 usable, I was able to boot into a GDI+ mode with some hardcore system DLL mods (and a lot of BSOD's in between) so of course they have the DLL's in place for backwards compatibility with the old SDK. They will never fix the issues, and let's just hope they don't remove it entirely (I'm worried about the ARM version of Win10 w/ x86 emulation).

But I got an XFX 9800GT with S-Video for like 10 bucks <snip>

Yes, people have been complaining about the new Intel M.2 WiFi cards... The E6540 comes with the previous gen connector and it has a 6235 which works perfectly (also had a 6235 on the old HP G56 which was superb). Are you certain that no one makes an M.2 card with XP drivers?
                Well they actually issued a recall for the model I have but from what I've read the "fixed" version suffers from the same issues anyway, just in fewer circumstances.

I did check different mfg's websites for a while (Qualcomm, Intel primarily) and I did not discover a M.2 Wifi adapter which had XP drivers. I doubt it but if you ever come across such a gem please let me know! For now the USB nano thing will work fine, I have it tucked away in the rear USB port, the laptop has ports on every side which reminds me is another thing I like about ThinkPad design compared to consumer junk, they didn't skimp on the design's practicality. Things like that make me happy I bought this ThinkPad, when I could have gotten a laptop with similar specs for 2 times less.

Wow, $1000!? долои kapitalist
                Well I also spent more than $2k on my main system so yeah... but remember that these are my work/productivity systems so I can't really skimp on this.

Anyway I'll go idle in IRC for now, if you're interested.

Comment

FYI- Regarding newer Dell Latitudes, I did some looking. After the Exx4x Generation of Latitudes, the E6xxx is now the E5xxx (50,60, and 70) and now they're dropping the "E" on the latest models. So 50+, E5xxx is good, as is E7xxx (high end ultrabooks) and E3xxx is the meh units.

PS- My employer spent $2500 on my Dell Precision 7710. Why? Autodesk Inventor (CAD software, used sometimes on a daily basis). $1000 is nothing
                  Last edited by ratdude747; 07-23-2017, 01:04 PM.
                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                    PS- My employer spent $2500 on my Dell Precision 7710. Why? Autodesk Inventor (CAD software, used sometimes on a daily basis). $1000 is nothing
                    When it comes to Autodesk the cost of the hardware is nothing compared to the software license (I believe inventor is around $1,900 per year).

It sounds like we're finally going to be getting workstations (HP Z-books I'd prefer Dell or Lenovo, but at least we're getting hardware with specs. that is up to the task) for the developers, architects, engineers, etc. Up until now everyone (whether they were a secretary or a developer/engineer) got the same mid level business laptop (HP Elitebooks and Lenovo T series with a mid-level I5, 4GB ram, and 128GB SSD) and then they just upgraded the power-users equipment as needed (Usually more RAM and a bigger, SSD, but even then the mid-level I5s struggled) and ended up spending just as much or more (especially when you factor in labor time for the tech doing the upgrade, and downtime for the user) and still have inferior hardware to what they would have gotten if they just bought a mobile workstation to begin with.

Comment

Yeah Microsoft releases updates for XP... POSready till April 9, 2019, you can enable them on any 32-bit XP version with a simple registry tweak. And even without that, Microsoft has released patches for serious vulns like MS17-010 for all XP users, including XP64. With that said I prefer the stability of the RTM Server 2003 SP2 codebase so I only really install updates that I require (such as the SHA256 algorithm for SSL certificates).
                      5eraph on RyanVM is taking 2003 x64 updates and porting them to XP (well, just a hack to update.exe to bypass the OS detection - the two OS are identical)... Now what would be nice is if someone could port the x86 2003 Server scheduler to XP... Someone at RyanVM said they were working on it, but there's nothing like that yet.

But the point was that besides POSReady updates, Microsoft unexpectedly released a lot of updates for 2003/x64 after 2 years since they ended extended support for it...

From 5eraph's latest changelog:
                      Additional update KB931125 updated to rootsupd.exe v1705 from release dated 2014/03.
                      Additional update SA3123040 (rvkroots.exe v1512) replaced high priority update KB3050995.
                      High priority update KB3197835 replaced high priority update KB970483.
                      High priority update KB4012583 replaced high priority updates KB2957509 and KB3069392, and optional update KB3065979.
                      Additional update KB4015193 has been added. (Registry entries only.)
                      High priority update KB4018466 replaced high priority updates KB2508429 and KB4012598.
                      High priority update KB4019204 replaced high priority update KB3070102.
                      High priority update KB4022747 added.
                      High priority update KB4024323 added.
                      High priority update KB4024402 replaced high priority update KB969059.
                      High priority update KB4025218 added.
                      I don't have the link to the embedded driver atm (it's hidden fairly well) but if you're interested I can look 'em up and send you. It's clear you prefer NT5 as everyone who isn't insane does, so I guess it's worth giving a shot since you happen to have a Haswell system. Didn't check what iGPU you have though, is it GT2?
                      You should most definitely post it at RyanVM... Yes, it's GT2.
                      GDI+ is discontinued since Windows 8, and afair you can't easily enable it as an end user. That said, while I was naive thinking I can make Win8 usable, I was able to boot into a GDI+ mode with some hardcore system DLL mods (and a lot of BSOD's in between) so of course they have the DLL's in place for backwards compatibility with the old SDK. They will never fix the issues, and let's just hope they don't remove it entirely (I'm worried about the ARM version of Win10 w/ x86 emulation).
                      That is very interesting indeed.
                      I did check different mfg's websites for a while (Qualcomm, Intel primarily) and I did not discover a M.2 Wifi adapter which had XP drivers. I doubt it but if you ever come across such a gem please let me know! For now the USB nano thing will work fine, I have it tucked away in the rear USB port, the laptop has ports on every side which reminds me is another thing I like about ThinkPad design compared to consumer junk, they didn't skimp on the design's practicality. Things like that make me happy I bought this ThinkPad, when I could have gotten a laptop with similar specs for 2 times less.
                      I will keep an eye out for your brother, G-D willing, without a promise. Hey, you never know... There is USB3 for XP so maybe there's also an M.2 Wifi chip out there that can work on XP. Atheros maybe?
                      Anyway I'll go idle in IRC for now, if you're interested.
                      Yes. Nice chat we had on IRC... and the bike ride was great too BTW.

Comment

You should most definitely post it at RyanVM... Yes, it's GT2.
                        Don't have an account there but here goes:

Intel INF and Management engine for 8 series chipsets is uploaded to shittyshare because I could not find them on Intels site, and there's an upload size limit here...

intel_confidential.zip

Intel HD Graphics:
                        X32 - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...-XP32-Embedded
                        X64 - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...-XP64-Embedded

In addition to above I have another unreleased (well released to OEM vendors only) version of HD graphics for up to Haswell GT2 which I won't say where I found
                        (it's the intel8_xp64 folder inside intel_confidential.zip)

I will keep an eye out for your brother, G-D willing, without a promise. Hey, you never know... There is USB3 for XP so maybe there's also an M.2 Wifi chip out there that can work on XP. Atheros maybe?
                        Thanks. I personally have the Texas Instruments USB3 controller on my main desktop, but I've had differeing results, USB3 drives work for example (at 3.0 speeds) but I had to use a USB3->USB2 adapter for 2 card readers I've tried.

Atheros = Qualcomm now.
                        Yes. Nice chat we had on IRC...
                        Yeah, still there btw
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by aztekk; 07-23-2017, 06:14 PM.

Comment

What a slacker I am.....still using my Dell Precision M6300 laptop... Does just fine for what I do.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

What a slacker I am.....still using my Dell Precision M6300 laptop... Does just fine for what I do.
                            2008 Intel Core 2 Duo T9300?
                            Hehe, well I was using a 2008 Amilo Pa 2548 with a Turion 64 X2 TL-64 till the 8400M in it went kaput (as expected), so as a quick replacement I got a Lifebook S2110, basically an older single core model. Figured if it didn't have a 2008 Nvidia chip it's good to go - lasted me for a few years (till 2015) and I'd be fine with it for personal use, but as I now have to work with newer Visual Studio compilers I had no choice but to properly upgrade. It made a huge difference having the higher IPC+cores even in every day tasks like youtube is actually smooth to load... much more enjoyable in general.

You can get amazing deals for 1st and 2nd gen i7 laptops these days, if you do choose to upgrade and don't want to splurge on a new laptop.

Comment

this one is actually a t8300, 8gb RAM, and the nicer 512mb FX3600 GPU (FX1600 was the stock one). One of the last to have a 16:10 A/R display.....can't stand 16:9.
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

Try messing about in RW-Everything in the EC section, you may find that the backlight control register is available for writing. Some models will let you turn that down to "ridiculously low", others won't, it's a matter of individual implementation. But it's definitely worth a shot.
                                Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                A working TV? How boring!

Comment

this one is actually a t8300, 8gb RAM, and the nicer 512mb FX3600 GPU (FX1600 was the stock one). One of the last to have a 16:10 A/R display.....can't stand 16:9.
                                  You really ought to up the CPU to a T9xxx... Practically free upgrade that will increase performance substantially (But check for compatibility with 1066mhz FSB Penryns... Maybe Dell added support for it, maybe they didn't. Otherwise, the only other option is the 800mhz FSB T9300 which is expensive). Those 2x4GB sodimms... That's $100 right there in rare antique DDR2 RAM :-P... FX3600 is something like a mobile 8800GT...

Yea, it's decent enough...

Now try loading up a VMWare Windows session to squabble with a Chinese seller over QQ (You don't want to install QQ or any other Chinese government software on an install with sensitive info) returning their defective product for a refund... The T8xxx virtualization is...well....slow to say the least...

Anyone doing virtualization shouldn't get anything less than Ivy Bridge, which is where they really improved things.
                                  Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                                  Try messing about in RW-Everything in the EC section, you may find that the backlight control register is available for writing. Some models will let you turn that down to "ridiculously low", others won't, it's a matter of individual implementation. But it's definitely worth a shot.
                                  That is an ingenious suggestion The Unique... I was gonna launch it anyways one of these days to see if Dell locked the SLIC table in the BIOS.
                                  Last edited by mockingbird; 07-23-2017, 08:41 PM.

Comment

That's at least a G92 die so it's supposed to be a little better than the G86 that I had die on me. I still wouldn't trust those in my systems, just don't wanna have anything to deal with nonsense like that again.

C2D is still pretty good, at least on the desktop side, I don't have a C2D laptop. Probably gonna last you many more years as a primary laptop, if you're happy with it. I also like screen ratios of other than 16:9, preferably 4:3 or 5:4. I can deal with my 1929x1080 screens though, the resolution is what plays a bigger role for me + they're good for movies / TV shows especially as I now lost my ability connect the PC to my LCD TV (long story ).
                                    Last edited by aztekk; 07-23-2017, 08:37 PM.

Comment

That's at least a G92 die so it's supposed to be a little better than the G86 that I had die on me. I still wouldn't trust those in my systems, just don't wanna have anything to deal with nonsense like that again.

C2D is still pretty good, at least on the desktop side, I don't have a C2D laptop. Probably gonna last you many more years as a primary laptop, if you're happy with it. I also like screen ratios of other than 16:9, preferably 4:3 or 5:4. I can deal with my 1929x1080 screens though, the resolution is what plays a bigger role for me + they're good for movies / TV shows especially as I now lost my ability connect the PC to my LCD TV (long story ).
                                      Speaking of which, the Haswell-based Precision M4800 was a consideration as well... Don't know about the M6300, but the M4800 has an MXM GPU... So I was considering getting one and then just removing the unecessary MXM GPU. People have confirmed that it will indeed work fine with the integrated GPU without it installed, but the video output is hardwired to it, so it's lost when using it without it.

Well it was that and the higher cost and bulk.

Hey got your message on the channel... The link for your software is 404 btw. Thanks

Comment

Speaking of which, the Haswell-based Precision M4800 was a consideration as well... Don't know about the M6300, but the M4800 has an MXM GPU... So I was considering getting one and then just removing the unecessary MXM GPU. People have confirmed that it will indeed work fine with the integrated GPU without it installed, but the video output is hardwired to it, so it's lost when using it without it.

Well it was that and the higher cost and bulk.
                                        Heh, I think you're being a little TOO paranoid here.
                                        You shouldn't have to completely give up on GPU's due to the RoHS / solder bump issue, especially when you have a MXM GPU which you can just replace if it fails... keep another one for backup just in case. Plus you get the benefit of better driver performance and no glitches like I've written about even if you decide to significantly undervolt it for longevity.

Maybe you could somehow rewire the outputs direct to PCH though, assuming there's required traces? Sounds like an annoying job though, unlikely to be possible now that I think of it.
                                        Hey got your message on the channel... The link for your software is 404 btw. Thanks
                                        Rly? Last time I checked it worked... actually after releasing it on Myce exclusively I've seen it trickle to various polack and french forums. Sort of regretting I didn't monetize it

And now I logged in and yep, 404. Gosh I hate their forum now, it's been complete buggy and useless ever since they abandoned vbulletin...
                                        I'll send you a PM with the soft though.
                                        Last edited by aztekk; 07-23-2017, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X