New DVD drives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New DVD drives

My old Sony DRU800A would burn any media I put in it. That one died in the big lightning strike a few months back. Well I think its dead... The PC its in is toast. I'm going to have to check out some of the parts out those two fried Dells for the "Dell" of it one day and see what still works. The two Dells I have now cost me a Grand Total of $60.00 at C-Tech Computerns. The PIII Optiplex was gutted, and was for free. The P4 Demension 4550 was basic but it was all there, and cost $40.00. The sucker had Vista on it when I got it too! I also got four used DVD drives @ $5.00 each. I put the Demension together with a clean 40 Gig WD 7200rpm drive, and two of the $5.00 burners. No Vista here now...I put my Dell Xp home on it with ALL the updates. This "New" old Sony DRU800A had firmware ver.KYO1 on it which I reflashed to KYO6 right away. Now the Lite-On SOHW1693S version of the DRU800A has a newer firmware update than Sony offers now. Should I try to reflash this Sony as a Lite-On drive??? Can I even do this or do I need some special software patch to cross flash a drive like this? Junk Parts wishes he had spent some money and gotten two newer Dells with SATA onboard...IDE is so yesterday!
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
    Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
    John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
    Rod Serling

Comment

demension?

demention?
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Sorry Will. Its a Dimension 4550. Its early in the morning here, and I feel retarded today....I'm ready to go to the Gateway Tavern for a Cold Beer Breakfast now. Beer and Xmas go together you know....
        "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
        Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
        John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
        Rod Serling

Comment

mines a pint of mulled wine

Comment

Hi Junk parts!

I've built and repaired/upgraded quite a few systems over here as well as having burned several hundred commercial DVDs.

If you have a failed drive, a very common cause is unsuitable power from the PSU. If you can't scope the PSU for ripple and spikes you may want to consider replacing it or at least opening it up and looking for bad caps.

I've used NEC and Samsung drives for years without fail on system builds. (6 or 7 NEC, over 20 Samsungs)
            Not as much luck with LiteOn and Sony. (1 each, both duds)
            My personal video editing system that burned nearly a thousand commercial DVDs without a single return uses two Plextor SA716 SATA burners, nowdays my Mac Pro uses an IDE Pioneer.

Media is important too. My research is about 3 years old, but Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden were the then top picks. I used Verbatim DVD-R inkjet printables exclusively for the commercial disks without a single return.

My vote is for Samsung. They're cheap, quiet, not fussy and reliable. If you're going to deal with Tiger Direct, get the NEC drives before the Sony. (the one new Sony drive I bought was from TD and a dud)
            Or maybe splurge on a Plextor if you have the money or intend to sell the disks.

Have Fun,
            Keri
            Last edited by KeriJane; 12-24-2008, 12:22 PM.
            The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Parts
              Should I try to reflash this Sony as a Lite-On drive??? Can I even do this or do I need some special software patch to cross flash a drive like this? Junk Parts wishes he had spent some money and gotten two newer Dells with SATA onboard...IDE is so yesterday!
              LOL! Total coolness.... cross-flashing a drive to a different brand? (yes, I know it's the same manufacturer)

What kind of MORTAR do you intend to use with those BRICKS ?

Seriously, with an enterprising spirit like this Junk Parts ought to build himself a Hackintosh. That takes even more talent!

Have Fun,
              Happy Holidaze,
              Keri

Comment

Originally posted by KeriJane
                LOL! Total coolness.... cross-flashing a drive to a different brand? (yes, I know it's the same manufacturer)

What kind of MORTAR do you intend to use with those BRICKS ?
                this is possible. read cdfreaks

Comment

Hello.

Thank you! It was CDfreaks I was trying to think of.

I used to read CDfreaks a bit when I was trying to figure out how to convert a region 2 DVD over to region 1 or region-free.

They ended up with their share of bricks over there.
                  But even with the occasional bricked drive they often succeeded with their mods, cross-flashes and what-not.

The technical ability needed to mod firmware or for that matter build a Hackintosh amazes me.

Have Fun!
                  Keri

Comment

The "Junk Parts" guy is a good guy. He isn't selling anything....ever ! The SamSung is gaining weight in this discussion now. I just want to buy some media friendly dependable drives...
                    Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

I have a Samsung 12X DVD burner which I got in '03 and that's still standing strong in the media center PC. Other than that, all my newer drives are Pioneer drives. My newest one is a Pioneer DVR-215D SATA burner.
                      I dunno, but recently I've got a habit of buying old, second hand drives from Dell PCs at the junkyard.... they work well as well.

Thanks.
                      Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Stevo1210,

what kind of Dell boxens at junkyard? P4 class? (socket 478 and 775). Not the P3.

If so, I would like a board from that with CPU if they have it.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Will what is mulled wine???? Mr. Samsung man I need IDE drives. What Samsung drive should I look for???? More
                          Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

Hi Junk Parts

Oops. It's Samsung Girl!

Anyhow the Samsung Writemaster comes in IDE and SATA versions with or without Lightscribe. I have here a Samsung SH-S182 (IDE, no Lightscribe) that I use a lot of in builds.... they usually cost under $20 at Micro Center when I get them on sale.

So far after a couple of dozen new builds and upgrades over a period of 3-4 years I have yet to see a Samsung DVD burner or hard drive fail. I'm very sure I'd hear about it if one did!

I attribute my low failure rate to decent quality PSUs.

Have Fun!
                            Keri

Comment

You can get this one with free shipping...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827151175
                              A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                                demension?

demention?
                                dementia ??
                                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                -

Comment

Plextor - Watch out there...
                                  Plextor went OEM on the lesser models!
                                  "Economical" Plextors are actually Lite-On, LG, BenQ , or ??? for the last several years.
                                  Only the high $$$ models were actual Plextor.
                                  -
                                  Last I heard Plextor got out of the optical drive business all together.
                                  May have been only rumor. Not confirmed.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                  -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                                    Plextor - Watch out there...
                                    Plextor went OEM on the lesser models!
                                    "Economical" Plextors are actually Lite-On, LG, BenQ , or ??? for the last several years.
                                    Only the high $$$ models were actual Plextor.
                                    -
                                    Last I heard Plextor got out of the optical drive business all together.
                                    May have been only rumor. Not confirmed.

Darn. It figures that Plextor would pull out. There can't be a whole lot of market for drives that cost 3-4x as much as a cheapie. No matter how much better they are, even cheap Samsungs do almost as good.

Mine are 2005 vintage SA (SATA) 716 units with 8mb buffers and all the high-end Plextor goodies. For a year of two they were shooting out 2 DVDs at a time with never a coaster. Every disk that was checked for errors came out 100% clean. I'm seriously thinking about pulling them from the Windows box and putting them in my Mac Pro. (which has SATA ODD connectors on the logic board).

Oh well.
                                    Have Fun,
                                    Keri

PS. Q- What's the difference between a Logic Board and a Motherboard?

A- About $500!

Comment

Whats this? Its Xmas Day and I have no hangover...YET! I'll have to work on that today. Will, I know what Mulled Wine is now. Sounds good to me too. Sorry KeriJane. You are Samsung Girl, not guy! How could I make that mistake? Girls are the coolest things on earth. Acstech that Samsung drive you linked me to is exactly what I'm after! Thanks. After I count up my Christmas Booty I'm ordering four of them. The Sony/Lite-On drives have left me with mixed feeling. They work great at first then start going down hill quickly. All I use the drives for is DVD burning for my personal collection, and some lite data backups. Looks like Samsung gets the job this time around.
                                      Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard
                                        Stevo1210,

what kind of Dell boxens at junkyard? P4 class? (socket 478 and 775). Not the P3.

If so, I would like a board from that with CPU if they have it.

Cheers, Wizard
                                        IIRC they were P4 and above class. The burners (mostloy NEC branded, albiet I did get a few Samsung ones as well) I bought came out of Optiplex GX260,270 and 280 systems. Previously I also got Dell PSUs there as well.... and they are the 24 pin types (obviously a socket 775 to have 24 pin PSU) and came out of Dell Precision boxes. Sometimes I'm not so lucky and only get the 20 pin Delta made units out of P4 Optiplex towers.
                                        I haven't been to the secondhand PC parts dealer for quite some time now because I've been busy with study and I can't be bothered driving the 30 or so kilometers to get there anymore.
                                        No idea about motherboards though.... I think they do sell them, but very costly from what I've heard.
                                        Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Thank you, and carry on with your studies. Oh well, thought would be good price for P4 3.0GHz socket 478 CPUs. As I was were looking for these for a pittance and bit of money for your trouble.

Ebay scared me off with big shipping fee and PP only. I don't do PP.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Working...
                                          X