more win10 stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: more win10 stuff

tinkered around with 10 for a couple hours today. What a piece of shit. definite no-go around here.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      tinkered around with 10 for a couple hours today. What a piece of shit.
      You're being too nice...
      "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
      Originally posted by shango066
      All style and no substance.
      Originally posted by smashstuff30
      guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
      guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
        Glad to know that they didn't move the win10 crap over to the important updates category. I'm sure its a matter of time before they do, and like Apple and IOS, they will sneak it in and hose every unsuspecting user....and it won't be able to be undone.
        They already have, or at least, they all showed up for me as important updates. Those ones I blocked from installing, but the legitimate updates I still let through.
        You don't have to stop at SP1, just research each update (look up the KB#) and find out what it does and make up your own mind.
        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
        -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
          stj: There is a version of Win10 for companies without most of the NSA spying stuff,
          i doubt that, comercial data is the stuff that is most valuable.
          remember just before 9/11 some of the cia filth linked to foggy cronguard (probably spelt wrong) were playing the markets with airline stocks!

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
            Anyone test 10 on old hardware such as Pentium 4/D, Athlon 64/X2, Core 2?
            Didn't test it on an Athlon 64 yet but on a Celeron M 430. Doesn't run well on that. But I suspect that shitty Intel Graphics...
            Maybe I pull out some other stuff...

Core 2 is fine though, even with Intel graphics...

Good to know. With how much RAM?
            Ahem...Pentium D is better than Athlon 64
            How much RAM does it use at idle?
            1. 2Gig should be fine for the 32bit version...
            2. Well, because it is a 2 CPU package
            A Dual Athlon 64 setup still should be better

But I could pull out my Athlon 64/3500+ ;-)
            Last edited by Stefan Payne; 08-02-2015, 05:12 PM.

Comment

I tried Win10 some beta version on a P4 HT Prescott 3GHz with 1GB DDR-400 RAM and Radeon 9200 or so.

Seemed to run OK to me. I didn't try anything complex though, all 2D stuff. Basic web browsing, KiCad etc.

The old IDE HDD was probably the worst part. Slow startup etc.
              "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
              -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                I tried Win10 some beta version on a P4 HT Prescott 3GHz with 1GB DDR-400 RAM and Radeon 9200 or so.

Seemed to run OK to me. I didn't try anything complex though, all 2D stuff. Basic web browsing, KiCad etc.

The old IDE HDD was probably the worst part. Slow startup etc.
                I hate IDE hard drives. I know somebody who has a nice i3 with 6GB of RAM and they insist using their 500GB IDE HDD through a PCI card. That system is very slow...

Comment

the ide bus is faster than the disk to head transfer, you shouldnt see a difference from the choice of interface unless there is a buffer size or interupt problem or DMA is not enabled and your in PIO mode.

one good thing about ide (and scsi) is that a bad drive or cable just wont work.
                  i have seen sata systems where a bad drive stops the system starting - it literally freezes the board.
                  i dont understand how it does it, but it does.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                    the ide bus is faster than the disk to head transfer.
                    True, but since IDE drives are older, they typically have even worse disk read\write speeds than newer SATA ones anyway. Also often slower RPM compared to more modern drives.

Plus in my test system the 1GB of RAM didn't help, I'm sure there was a lot of swap usage going on.
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                      True, but since IDE drives are older, they typically have even worse disk read\write speeds than newer SATA ones anyway. Also often slower RPM compared to more modern drives.

Plus in my test system the 1GB of RAM didn't help, I'm sure there was a lot of swap usage going on.

7200RPM is still the standard, then (around 2000 or so onward) and now. Granted, IIRC nobody made 10K ide drives, but that was because scsi was king then in the enterprise market. However, by the time SATA was a thing, 3ware (and others) were gaining in the RAID controller world, and that made a market for SATA 10K+ drives.
                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

My 7200rpm 2tb sata drive from 2013 gets to almost 200mb/s while a 7200rpm 500gb sata drive from 2008 might get 75mb/s so the rpm is not the only important thing.

Comment

i doubt that speed is sustained, try transfering a single block several times larger than the drive cache.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                            firstly it sounds like the useless bitches at microsoft are trying to do a live upgrade.
                            they should reboot either to dos/linux-kernel or atleast safemode before installing.

second, microsoft cant write drivers, you should always get fresh drivers from the hardware makers - in your case the makers of the wifi chipset.

I had only thought to look on HP's website. I'll look and see what Qualcomm has later. Thanks. And, it seems like Micro$oft can't write anything anymore. The 3 latest OS's suck so bad that they literally are giving them away for free. What company has ever done that before?
                            ------------signature starts here------------

Comment

these are all free - it depends on your income model.
                              http://distrowatch.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post

7200RPM is still the standard, then (around 2000 or so onward) and now. Granted, IIRC nobody made 10K ide drives, but that was because scsi was king then in the enterprise market. However, by the time SATA was a thing, 3ware (and others) were gaining in the RAID controller world, and that made a market for SATA 10K+ drives.
                                I have plenty of slow IDE drives such as the ST340823A model which are 5400 RPM IDE drives. Seagate U Series with the rubber cover.

Check the spec sheet here if you don't believe me.
                                -David VanHorn

Comment

they make 5400rpm sata drives too.

Comment

I'm only aware of the WD Velociraptor 10k rpm hard drive in SATA. After SCSI drives in Enterprise came SAS, still SCSI just a different interface.
                                    https://www.attotech.com/disk-benchmark/ to benchmark your drive/s

Comment

Weird, cause Windows 7 is fast on a Pentium D
                                      7 is so slow it's almost unbearable on a Pentium D in my experience. Anything less powerful than a Pentium Dual Core (C2D based) and it struggles. 10 is definitely faster than 7, but not enough that I would suggest running it on a Pentium 4 or D, and definitely not enough to make up for everything else that is wrong with it.
                                      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I will benchmark a modern drive and an old drive... both 7200RPM 3.5" SATA, when I get to work... Just to show that there are other differences besides RPM that determine drive performance.

IDE drives tend to be slower not just because of the interface but they are simply older drives that don't use the faster technology they have come out with. They also tend to have more platters for the same capacity (for example a 500GB IDE might have 3 platters where a modern 500GB SATA might have 1 platter). Cache size and the controller matter too.

On the topic of Windows 10, upgraded a family friend from 8.1 to 10 yesterday and he's very happy. Computer is an 4th-gen i3 with 8GB and 1TB hard drive. He also has a brand new Dell laptop with some i7 from the company he works for that's running 7 Pro. He even said that Windows 10 "opened stuff faster" on the desktop than on the laptop, and that "it looks nicer" so clearly unbiased people that don't care about computers beyond them being an effective tool for them to get work done like Windows 10.
                                        Last edited by shovenose; 08-03-2015, 09:03 AM.

Comment

On modern 2TB drives I am getting around 160MB/sec sequential. On older 0.5TB HDDs I get anywhere from 70 to 90 MB/sec. However the seek rate of these mechanical HDDs dominate their speed and the bump in transfer rate is virtually meaningless for random accesses.

But it's great for copying videos and ISO images...

Comment

Working...
                                          X