• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    ^
    They actually merged into one...

You assume correct.....bringing XM up in this thread?! Typographical error....or I just had a song stuck in my head...no tell with me @ 2am...
    yeah... 4am over here... but it is the weekend and I work best at night... does that make me weird?
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

No, thats not weird.....until just a few years ago, I was completely nocturnal. When the sun rose, that was my cue to go to bed.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

If the Pro version still has Metro, it's dead in the water.

My view was that if this interface was still here in the Consumer Preview and is staying, I might as well take it for a test drive. I'm going to end up having to support it eventually.

I've got it running on a Dimension 5150 with a Pentium D something-or-other 2GB RAM and a 320GB HDD, hooked up to a domain.
        I used the location tabs on the desktop, documents and other folders to connect everything in my user profile back to my Windows 7 machine next to it, everything else is stored on the network, so I have nothing to lose.

I've pretty much decided that right now it's just Windows 7 with a full screen start menu.

Using any of the included full screen apps is quite futile with a keyboard and mouse (Christ knows how you're supposed to use fingers!) - so I ditched all of those (and the rest of the included junk). Right click to check them all and click 'unpin'
        Everything that exists in Windows 7 is still in its old format underneath, normal IE, RDP client, Control Panel etc.

I've got the Metro interface hosting an array of my most useful icons and shortcuts - you can add shortcuts into C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
        I re-enabled the quick launch bar, got my links working in the Explorer sidebar, pinned Outlook and Firefox to the taskbar and that's that.

Most useful thing (surprisingly there is one) is that dual screen users now get a taskbar on both screens.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
          I haven't seen Windows 8 but from what I've read I want to stay as far away from it as possible!
          From best to worst IMO:

Windows 2000 Professional (NT 5.0)
          XP x64 Professional / Windows 2003 Server (NT 5.2)
          Windows 7 (NT 6.1)
          Windows XP (NT 5.1)
          Windows Vista (NT 6.0)
          Windows 8 (NT 6.2)
          I added Win8 to my list quoted above now…
          As the old saying goes: a fool and his Money are easily parted with.
          I wonder how much Money M$ has plowed into this train wreck known as Win8?
          It's by far the most useless thing to come out of Redmond EVER
          And that is saying a whole fucking lot!

I mean I'm sure it's a nice OS for tablets, but on a PC with a mouse and keyboard it's by far the most convulted and stupid user interface I have ever used!
          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Here is a much longer wall of text incase you are further interested in my opinion of Windows 8
            http://www.techspot.com/vb/post1158574-55.html
            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I purchased Windows 8 from my schools website for free. Installed it in my other pc I use to fix computers and my impression was that it is not GUI friendly. This operating system should be only meant for tablets, nothing else. Windows 7 has plenty of life ahead. Businesses already have switched to Windows 7 which cost them thousand of dollars if not more. Some business are still on Windows xp (like me). The interface is clunky. I hate those tiles. Also why remove the startmenu? I understand the tiles replace the startmenu, but they should have kept that.

Here is a perfect example of how bad windows 8 is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4boT...ature=youtu.be

Microsoft should be hiring these people as beta testers!
              "There is no place like 127.0.0.1"

Comment

I'm sure you all remember the piece of crap that was Windows ME. Well you know what I think? I think Windows ME is better than Windows 8.

Why?

Windows ME doesn't have Metro.
                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                  I'm sure you all remember the piece of crap that was Windows ME. Well you know what I think? I think Windows ME is better than Windows 8.

Why?

Windows ME doesn't have Metro.
                  Just noticed something. Windows MEtro

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                    ^ Poor diluted child.

I will keep XP alive as long as humanly possible!!
                    +1

And when it's no longer humanly possible, I'll use Linux.
                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                      Just noticed something. Windows MEtro
                      Windows ME-Tro-LL

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                      +1

And when it's no longer humanly possible, I'll use Linux.
                      That's what I would do too, if all my Windows programs worked on Linux, including games. Unfortunately that is not the case.
                      Last edited by Agent24; 03-30-2012, 01:59 AM.
                      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                      -David VanHorn

Comment

ME had its issues but at least the interface was pretty much the same.

Forcing UI changes is stupid, the old users are going to hate it and the new ones aren't going to be better off either.

Comment

Originally posted by b700029 View Post
                          ME had its issues but at least the interface was pretty much the same.

Forcing UI changes is stupid, the old users are going to hate it and the new ones aren't going to be better off either.
                          Issues? Understatement... heh

I never tried it at release but a couple of years ago I decided to try it out and see if it was seriously as bad as people said it was. It was.

Install went without problem but once I actually tried to use the thing, it crashed. and crashed. and crashed. and then it crashed some more.

It would BSOD crash just sitting at the desktop doing NOTHING.

I managed to make it fairly stable by running windows update, but it had crashed so many times by the time I got the updates installed that it suffered registry corruption and half the updates weren't even able to be installed.

Now a normal person would think it was a hardware issue, but the machine had Win 98 SE on it previously to me testing out Windows ME and was as stable as a rock.

Later on I re-tried it and managed to get all updates installed and then all drivers updated, and to its credit it seemed to run pretty well actually after that.

I suspect they should have called it Windows BE (Beta edition!) - although Masochist Edition is funnier - and maybe more accurate
                          -David VanHorn

Comment

got it on a quadcore,4 gigs of ram,9800gt.
                            slow to start and just blah.would be better suited for a touchscreen.
                            our shop help kid is going to try games on it before we clear it off.

Comment

I've been using Vista Home Premium for several years now, and I agree, it sucks...at first. Once you install SP2, then TURN OFF automatic updates, turn off all the services that are not necessary, clean up the registry, and a few other little tricks, it works just fine. I used to have to reinstall every 6 months or so, but now I've been running stable for almost 2 years. No bull. And yes, I have some experience with this stuff. I touched my first computer in a Radio Shak in 1978 or so, and have been an every day geek ever since. Been through Tandys, Commodores, Kaypros, IBM XT's (4.7mhz, 640k of ram, 5 1/4in. floppy, 10meg hard drive, 300 baud modem. Ram was $150.00 a meg. you had to insert the chips individually into the motherboard),etc. But I digress. Vista has some cool eye-candy, and runs ok, now.

Comment

Originally posted by Kneepuck View Post
                                I've been using Vista Home Premium for several years now, and I agree, it sucks...at first. Once you install SP2, then TURN OFF automatic updates, turn off all the services that are not necessary, clean up the registry, and a few other little tricks, it works just fine.
                                Agreed

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                                  Issues? Understatement... heh

I never tried it at release but a couple of years ago I decided to try it out and see if it was seriously as bad as people said it was. It was.

Install went without problem but once I actually tried to use the thing, it crashed. and crashed. and crashed. and then it crashed some more.

It would BSOD crash just sitting at the desktop doing NOTHING.

I managed to make it fairly stable by running windows update, but it had crashed so many times by the time I got the updates installed that it suffered registry corruption and half the updates weren't even able to be installed.

Now a normal person would think it was a hardware issue, but the machine had Win 98 SE on it previously to me testing out Windows ME and was as stable as a rock.

Later on I re-tried it and managed to get all updates installed and then all drivers updated, and to its credit it seemed to run pretty well actually after that.

I suspect they should have called it Windows BE (Beta edition!) - although Masochist Edition is funnier - and maybe more accurate

I've used WinMe from mid-2001 to 2004 or 2005 with no issue. It was a preinstalled version on an IBM NetVista.
                                  I keep a couple of hard drives with an WinMe installed on them, so I can test my dumpster finds very quickly. Unlike Win98, all the base drivers are on the hard drive, so it's very quick at installing the new hardware. And it is compatible with USB devices natively. It doesn't care if I switch from a computer with an Intel CPU, a VIA chipset and integrated graphics to another with an AMD CPU and a high end card... it works everytime for testing purpose. You can't do that with Windows XP or Windows NT.

I think the main problem of WinMe, is that it should have been an update for Windows 98 instead of a whole new version of Windows. I guess they wanted something for the year 2000...

On the other hand, as soon as I've tried Windows 7, I've installed it on all my computers. It's much more stable than Windows XP SP2/SP3 I was using before since 2004. I'm using it on a Pentium M 750/2Gb/X600M/160Gb, and I'm very pleased with it. Even when I only had 1Gb, it ran perfectly fine. Good looks, stable, good compatibilty with most of the software I use, light enough to be used on a seven years old computer. I can't complain. There are a very few drivers problems, like the shortcut switches on my laptop that won't work, but it's generally minor stuff.
                                  Last edited by SuperDuty; 05-20-2012, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                                    Agreed
                                    You would agree with someone that thinks vista is good...hell, even Bill Gates himself facepalms and says "don't ask..." when someone mentions Vista...
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                    http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                    Team : 49813
                                    Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                    X