Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad capacitor? ECS P4VXASD2+ motherboard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

History:
    Over the past 6 months, my computer has had increasing number of BSODs, freezes, and reboots. This past weekend, the computer froze while I was away from my desk. For the 4-5 reboots I did, I kept encountering BSODs before the Windows logon screen appeared. Finally, the computer refused to start up. No POST beeps, blank screen, CPU fan powered up normally, so did the floppy drive, DVD-RW drive, and hard drive.

I did manage to get it to start to the Windows logon screen once since then after repeated reboots, but a BSOD popped up before I could log in.

Diagnosis:
    PSU: I've swapped out the PSU. Same problem: blank screen, no POST/beeps, everything else powers on normally, LEDs light up.
    Video card: Swapped this out also, same problem.
    RAM: Swapped this out from a working computer...same problem.
    CMOS Battery: Swapped out from one with a working computer, no change.

I've tried to reset the CMOS/BIOS via the jumpers on the motherboard to no avail. I've unplugged everything except the HDD, motherboard, CPU, and video card during boot...same problem.

All the components I've removed from this computer have been tested in another machine and they all work fine, which leads me to believe it's a motherboard problem.

Specifications:
    Motherboard: ECS P4VXASD2+
    Chip: Intel P4 2.0Ghz
    RAM: 1x512mb + 1x256mb SDRAM
    Hard drive: Western Digital 120gb

This system was originally put together in 2003 and since then, one hard drive has died, most likely due to heat issues. After that, I've left the case off and run it that way so that it's cooler.

Here are some pictures of the capacitors on the motherboard. There's a few that I think are bulging at the top, but I can't see any leaking electrolyte or detect and funny smell.

Bulging at the top?

Any help, advice, or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
    Last edited by epikcap; 06-09-2008, 12:04 PM.

Re: Bad capacitor? ECS P4VXASD2+ motherboard.

It is abit hard to see in the pictures, however the capacitors seem to be Teapo or Tayeh and Choyo brand ones. These are all known bad brand. Some people say that Teapo capacitors are not so bad. However on a motherboard, they are known to fail.

The symptoms seem to indicate bad capacitors. That is increasing BSOD's and deteriated stability.

Also do not overlook the power supply, many times the bad capacitor failure is significantly accelerated by bad capacitors in the power supply.

If you do not want to pop open the power supply to take some nice pictures, make sure you mention the brand and series of the power supply in your reply.

Comment

From what I see, some of the tall ones that seem to be slightly bulging at the top are OST, and the green ones that look fine are G-LUXON.

I've switched out the PSU with one I know is good since it was powering another computer. Plus, it seems almost impossible to take the case off my existing PSU. I tried for at least 10 minutes the other day.

It's a Compaq model PSU, 250W. Nothing else to indicate the actual manufacture before Compaq re-badged it...there's Compaq parts and model numbers. And it's Made in China. But again, it has powered up another computer fine.

Comment

Hmm well OST and G-LUXON are known bad capacitors anyway, and the symptoms indicate bad caps.

I am not sure about the power supply, however if it works and is stable, that is good enough I guess.

In short, I think you can start sourcing capacitors and start doing the job!
        I suggest you read the FAQ's on this site, they are very good and informative.

Comment

I look at the ECS boards every time I visit Fry's Electronics. The caps are pure crap. I guess this is where they cut corners in cost. One could buy a new ECS board, and immediately recap it. I don't know if other components are equally as cheap, but it is a suspicion.

Comment

I think this is relatively rare case, where the G-Luxons leak and not bulge/explode. Perhaps their seal was leaking the residue out well... this time

I willing to bet that ater recap with good caps the board will work just as new - and quite possibly even better that new, because even when it was new, it has a known bad caps with crap specs at best, so... Recap immediatelly, do not turn it on again, it might damage itself/and/or components in it.
            "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
            "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Comment

Unfortunately for the existing motherboard, it seems like I can get a new CPU/motherboard combination for only $80.

I don't have any soldering tools and to buy those would be much more than just replacing everything out. Having it re-capped by a professional might be at least $40-50 and I'd still be stuck with the old CPU.

Comment

Working...
              X