Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I replace 15uf capacitor with 22uf?

"If I wanted to replace an old 15uF/400V capacitor with a new one,
    I have a new 15uF/400V and a new 22uF/400V capacitor. When measured, the new 15uF reads only 13uF, and the 22uF reads only 20uF. Can I use the 22uF capacitor?"

Depends on how it's being used. If it's just a smps primary bulk filter cap, usually that would work fine.

Comment

Electrolytic capacitors typically are +/-20%, a fact that system designers take into account in their designs. So your new 15uF capacitor is within spec.
      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Good question. Which to use
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20231129_204913.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	3155331
        Caption

Comment

Capacitor manufacturers are very good at making their parts exactly at the low end, so I find they all measure -19.9% lol. Why give extra?
          For the new part, it depends on how many watts the PSU is. I find chinese use the smallest possible value and so the cap runs hot from ripple current and has a short life, which might be why the 15uF part died. 120VAC 25W with 15uF it gets HOT.
          Also inrush current with a 22uF cap can be high and make quite a spark when you plug in. Does the PSU have an NTC inrush limiter or resistor etc. ? Without it on 240VAC I would expect a crackle.

Comment

"To complete this, differences from 14uF to 19.9uF are negligible, especially when there are 2 of them. This concerns a 230V refrigerator board that is 20 years old. Given that the refrigerator runs day and night, it's surprising that the capacitors have lasted 20 years."
            Attached Files

Comment

I've made it that way.
              It works fine.
              Thank you all for your good advice. Thank you Richard for new video about caps
              Attached Files

Comment

I'm confused - you show a fridge board pic with new 22uF primary caps and small electrolytics for the rest. Then a fridge board pic with 15uF primary caps and polymers for the rest.
                Electrolytics are a downgrade, especially if the board is cold.

Who is Richard? What video? What make/model is the fridge?

Comment

Working...
                X