ATX 300 12E dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATX 300 12E dead

Found C36 reading 4.3ohms and slightly bulging. No schematic and just guessing at this time. Replaced c36, but still nothing. Any hints? This PSU came out of an older Gateway.
    Schematic might be helpful.

TIA

Re: ATX 300 12E dead

probably there are more caps bad. Any pictures? Caps still can be bad and look good from the outside.

Comment

Measure 5vsb on the purple wire. Should be 5 volts +/- 5%. If not, your power supply will be dead.
      Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Here is schematic of Bestec 5vsb circuit which should be very similar to yours.
        Attached Files
        Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Firstly thank for the schematics - I now have 5v on the purple output lead - No fan or other voltages, no 12s, 3.3, etc.

Will slowly check out the other caps, etc. Any short cut suggestion appreciated.

Comment

Check for shorts on switching transistor and output diodes. Does fan show slight movement when you first turn on the power supply? The other capacitor forming the pi output filter on the 5vsb should also be changed. Bestecs are notorious for having lots of glue which goes conductive and causes resistive paths. Remove as much glue as you can, especially any that has turned brown or black.

Comment

Fixed - replaced C36/2200uf 10v. Also fan was stuck - Had an item laying loose preventing the fan blades from turning. How it happened is still a mystery but it must have been the heat originally. Though these are noted for the C36 going south, from the post on this forum.

Thanks all for the help.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by everell View Post
                Bestecs are notorious for having lots of glue which goes conductive and causes resistive paths.
                Looks like the same thing with CWT.
                My 2003 True 430 has the dreaded brown glue.
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

32 GB G.Skill RipJaws V F4-3200C16D-32GVR

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                X