Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Examination of Golden Field ATX-S628 550W peak power PSU

Hi again,

I've recently made a purchase of a new Golden Field ATX-S628 550W peak power PSU that was being sold at a local computer shop I know for $38 CAD. It actually had some weight to it, along with a few other things that made it attractive to me at that price. I'll have it on hand as a backup PSU, in case my Antec PSU fails.

It appears to be a great PSU for the money I spent on it, as it has beefier heatsinks than normal cheap power supplies, has a 120mm fan, nice dark gray finish, and comes with a decent secondary side and a transient filtering stage (two Y caps, two X caps, and a coil). The caps in this PSU are BH brand, which I haven't heard anything bad yet about them (but they do look like cheap Taiwanese caps, IMO).

The complete package.

Three shots of this PSU.

This PSU has one 24-pin ATX connector, two P4 12V connectors (that can be joined together for EPS12V), one PCI-E 6-pin connector, three 4-pin peripheral (molex) connectors, and two SATA power connectors. This arrangement I believe will suit most basic computers.

A shot of the label. Note the "Oiliness Bearing Fan" remark.

Overhead shot of this PSU's internals. Notice that it is not completely gutless.

A shot showing the transient filtering stage, and the two primary caps.

The primary caps are two BH 680uf 200V.

The best picture I could get of the KBL406 4A 800V bridge rectifier. It being 4A, the most this power supply could draw from a 120V AC outlet would be 480W.

A shot of the primary side silicon. One CET CEF02N6A 600V 1.4A n-channel transistor, along with two 13009 NPN power transistors.

Three shots of the secondary side.

A shot of the secondary side silicon. The one on the left is an S20C45C 20A 45V Schottky rectifier, the one in the middle is an S30D40C 30A 40V Schottky rectifier, and the one on the right is a U20C20C 20A 200V power rectifier. I doubt that this PSU has two 12V rails, as on the label, since there is only one power rectifier for the 12V. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The 120mm fan used in this PSU is a Yate Loon D12SL-12 12V sleeve bearing fan, which operates at 1350RPM, pushing out 47CFM of air at a noise level of 28dB.

The fan connects to this additional board in the PSU. I'm not sure what it exactly does, but I'm guessing it's some sort of fan controller, as the package indicates an "Adjustable Fan Speed Controller". If you know what it is, tell me. It has an LM339N on it.

This PSU uses an SG6105 PWM controller chip.

I haven't even powered on this PSU yet. The rating on the label is 550W, but that's the peak power rating. I would guess that this PSU's continuous rating would be at 400W, considering how the PSU looks inside, and the rating of the bridge rectifier.

If you would like to view the webpage on the Golden Field website on this power supply, click on this link: http://www.goldenfield.com.cn/en/ProductView.asp?ID=146

Anyway, feel free to comment about your opinions on this Golden Field ATX-S628 power supply.
    Last edited by Newbie2; 07-13-2010, 07:33 PM.
    My gaming PC:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
    ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
    PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
    G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
    TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
    WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
    ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
    Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
    Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Re: Examination of Golden Field ATX-S628 550W peak power PSU

Goldenfield uses two OEM's, one is Huntkey and the other is Sunpro.

This looks like a huntkey.

Comment

Re-cap it. It's probably not too bad after that.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

It's probably good for 300w. 13009's are good for about 300w continuous, 350w peak if cooled well. Only 1 20A ultrafast on the 12v, and yes, it's only single rail as it doesn't even have OCP.

Comment

UL mark has no number => Fake.
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
            It's probably good for 300w. 13009's are good for about 300w continuous, 350w peak if cooled well. Only 1 20A ultrafast on the 12v, and yes, it's only single rail as it doesn't even have OCP.
            What he said ^ .

As far as fan controller - look for a thermal resistors near the secondary side of the PSU - it's usually marked on the PCB as NTC, PTC, TR, or THR. If you see one, there is a thermal fan controller.

Aside from the BH caps, it doesn't look at all that bad. For $38 CAD, though, I would have expected to see Teapo or at least Ost in there. Even LTec would be preferable to BH.

Comment

Goldenfield uses two OEM's, one is Huntkey and the other is Sunpro.

This looks like a huntkey.
              i've had a Golden Field PSU that was CWT OEM.. (yes.. including Fuhjyyu)
              interesting enough, only a few of them were actually Fuhjyyu.. most of the caps in there were Crapxon (KM and GL).

refused to turn on one day.. so i junked it..
              was too crammed (lots of daughterboards + jumperwires across the whole PSU) and shoddily built (thin wiring, underrated components (if not missing)) to be worth fixing..
              label wise it was a 420W IIRC. inside looked more like 350W.. at best.. with lots of tailwinds from the dual 80mm fans..

edit: by the way.. "BH" is a common abbreviation for bra in german lol
              (büstenhalter -> BH .. could be roughly one-to-one translated as breastholder)

http://www.dict.cc/?l=e&s=BH
              Last edited by Scenic; 07-13-2010, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Interesting, on System General's website they have a schematic for a power supply that is 300W that utilizes the SG6105.

It does have OPP though.

Comment

I think i can just see a second TO-220 pack rectifier for the 12v, on the other side of the heatsink in the overhead shot. Quite a common arrangement, from what i've seen.
                  Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

Comment

Originally posted by Khron666
                    I think i can just see a second TO-220 pack rectifier for the 12v, on the other side of the heatsink in the overhead shot. Quite a common arrangement, from what i've seen.
                    Yes, there is actually another U20C20C 20A 200V ultrafast power rectifier on the other side of the heatsink, something I overlooked in my initial examination.

So Golden Field actually wasn't lying about this PSU having two 12V rails.

I do not plan to recap this PSU, as I don't have the time and money to do so right now. The BH caps should be okay, since if I ever need to use this PSU, it'll only be for backup purposes only and wouldn't be used for a long time.
                    My gaming PC:

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2
                      So Golden Field actually wasn't lying about this PSU having two 12V rails.

I do not plan to recap this PSU, as I don't have the time and money to do so right now. The BH caps should be okay, since if I ever need to use this PSU, it'll only be for backup purposes only and wouldn't be used for a long time.
                      Thats good that there is 2 diode packs on the 12v rail, but it is only a single rail unit, as it dosen't even have OCP.

The two diode packs run in parallel to double the capacity. This does not mean it has 2 rails. Usually multiple rail units only have 1 or 2 12v outputs on the transformer and multiple rectifiers running in parallel. This is then split into multiple outputs after the chokes with shunts to monitor the amount of amps running through each rail.

Comment

Thats good that there is 2 diode packs on the 12v rail, but it is only a single rail unit, as it dosen't even have OCP.

The two diode packs run in parallel to double the capacity. This does not mean it has 2 rails. Usually multiple rail units only have 1 or 2 12v outputs on the transformer and multiple rectifiers running in parallel. This is then split into multiple outputs after the chokes with shunts to monitor the amount of amps running through each rail.
                        I see, thanks for the correction.
                        My gaming PC:

Comment

Parallel diode packs [and some other IC's] are often used to reduce heat dissipation rather than to increase capacity.
                          Heat dissipation -to- amps is logarithmic in silicon.
                          1 @ 10 amps gives off much more heat than the total heat dissipated by 2 at 5 amps each.
                          Means less heat-sink area is required and a smaller fan can be used.
                          Mann-Made Global Warming.
                          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                          -

Comment

In this case it was probably a heat vs capacity issue. They needed to make as least heat as possible while still at least meeting the specs on the label.

Though, I don't know. Ultrafasts generate more heat than schottky's, they could have just gone with 1 to-247 40A schottky and it probably wouldn't have gotten any hotter than 2 20A ultrafasts in parallel. Might be a cost issue there, I don't know how much more a single 40A to-247 schottky costs versus 2 20A to-220 ultrafasts.

Comment

oh yeah, its also i good idea to use an old rotten tire for a spare... just when you need it, it fails...

BH is a very lame brand, i would never trust 'em... do yourself a favor and recap it when you have the funds...
                              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                                oh yeah, its also i good idea to use an old rotten tire for a spare... just when you need it, it fails...

BH is a very lame brand, i would never trust 'em... do yourself a favor and recap it when you have the funds...
                                Should last for at least a month or two since this power supply's brand new and unused
                                My gaming PC:

Comment

Interesting, on System General's website they have a schematic for a power supply that is 300W that utilizes the SG6105.
                                  It does have OPP though.
                                  It's possible. If I remember correctly, the SG6105 IC does support OCP/OPP protection. It doesn't necessarily has to be used, though.

Should last for at least a month or two since this power supply's brand new and unused
                                  Or a bit more if the PSU is well cooled and there aren't any big loading resistors near the caps. Many cheaper PSU manufacturers have them, though.
                                  Deer PSUs, for example, are known to put a 2W, 100 Ohm resistor on the 12v rail. That's (12^2)/100 = 1.44 watts of heat from that resistor. Doesn't seem like a lot, but it is - usually enough to darken the PCB and the sleeve on many caps.

Comment

Ultrafasts generate more heat than schottky's, they could have just gone with 1 to-247 40A schottky and it probably wouldn't have gotten any hotter than 2 20A ultrafasts in parallel. Might be a cost issue there, I don't know how much more a single 40A to-247 schottky costs versus 2 20A to-220 ultrafasts.

Yeah, schottkys DO have lower forward voltage drops than ultrafasts (and thus less heat dissipated for a certain current going through them), but i think i read somewhere that there are / might be peaks higher than 40v on the 12v line, rendering the use of (even 40v) schottkys somewhat risky.

And regarding the price, a quick browse through OnSemi's site shows that a to-247 60A 45v "L-series" schottky is 1,46$ (2$ for a "normal" 30A 45v), while a to-220 16A 200V ultrafast is 0,44$ (unit price for 1000pc, i believe).
                                    Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

Comment

Originally posted by momaka
                                      Or a bit more if the PSU is well cooled and there aren't any big loading resistors near the caps. Many cheaper PSU manufacturers have them, though.
                                      Deer PSUs, for example, are known to put a 2W, 100 Ohm resistor on the 12v rail. That's (12^2)/100 = 1.44 watts of heat from that resistor. Doesn't seem like a lot, but it is - usually enough to darken the PCB and the sleeve on many caps.
                                      I did not see any large resistors near any of the caps, so it should be alright.

Also, the Yate Loon 120mm fan should also provide ample ventilation for this power supply.

Originally posted by Khron666
                                      And regarding the price, a quick browse through OnSemi's site shows that a to-247 60A 45v "L-series" schottky is 1,46$ (2$ for a "normal" 30A 45v), while a to-220 16A 200V ultrafast is 0,44$ (unit price for 1000pc, i believe).
                                      That price difference should explain why two ultrafasts were used instead of one TO-247 Schottky.
                                      My gaming PC:

Comment

That price difference should explain why two ultrafasts were used instead of one TO-247 Schottky.

In fact, that could make one wonder why they "spoil" us with schottky's at all

Comment

Working...
                                        X