Philips 50PFP5332D/37 TOUGH DOG as they use to say

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philips 50PFP5332D/37 TOUGH DOG as they use to say

I've been trying to figure out this 50" plasma for a couple of weeks. This one is stumping me because I've not seen this symptom and this TV doesn't have puffed caps like I usually see with this model.

Upon plug in, it attempts to power up, relay clicks a couple times, seems to go into shutdown, the led on the front doesn't light up. There is an LED on the power supply board (location: LED8001) that blinks green 10 times. According to the chart printed above that, it says: PROT. UVP: 8V6 VSND_POS, VSND_NEG. I don't know what this means. I've downloaded the chassis EJ3.0U PA service manual from Elektrotanya, but can't find reference to this LED or error code. Maybe someone else can? I tried to get a training manual linked in another thread on badcapsforum, but it wasn't available any longer.

Things I've tried/things I know:

---I found a thread talking about running test patterns off the logic by placing jumpers on it to see if the logic or main is causing a problem, but the result was it still shutdown with 10 blinks on the power supply board. I tried replacing the logic anyway and same symptom. I put the original logic back in.

---It has 5 volts standby

---I don't think it tries to develop VS or VA, but I can retest if anyone wants an exact report on what it does, but it didn't seem to even nudge my Fluke during it's power up attempt.

---I think I had tried unplugging the Y-SUS and Z-SUS to see if it would come out of shutdown, but I don't remember if that changed anything; I don't think it did.

---I can't find any bad fuses on the power supply, Y-SUS or Z-SUS

Any ideas out there? I usually am able to figure these out, but I'm stuck on this one.

Thanks so much!

I will post 8 pics of the TV and boards.
    Attached Files

Re: Philips 50PFP5332D/37 TOUGH DOG as they use to say

Had same psu shorted Vs Pfc fets, will link video.
    Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Check this out:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ESRx3UVlfCI
      Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

Comment

Also I strongly suggest after the Psu repair you do some mods to the chaiss, Y, X main and the buffers strongly advise you heatsink them ! Also tighten all the screws on the power devices on the heatsinks on the Y and Xmain. Check this out:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=57aDWsiLIxE
        Last edited by ReeceyBurger123; 06-29-2016, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ReeceyBurger123 View Post
          Thank you so much, ReeceyBurger123! I watched your excellent video. Glad you were able to solve that one. I'm going to pull this PS again and check those FETS. Do you think that I may find the same issue, even with a 10 blink code, not a 7 blink code as you had? I will check and let you know what I find.

Comment

Reecey?

Comment

Yes sorry check the main power devices over on the Psu see if any are blown

Comment

Yes sorry check the main power devices over on the Psu see if any are blown
                Thanks. I checked all the fets/transistors and none are blown and no signs of shorting through their insulators. Any other ideas? Wish this one was as evident as yours.

Comment

Maybe check the fuses ? Vs is totally dead right ?

Comment

Maybe check the fuses ? Vs is totally dead right ?
                    None of the fuses were bad. I don't think VS even tried to come up because the TV goes into shutdown instantly and throws the 10 blink error code on the power supply board. I could put the board back in and test again, but I remember it not developing voltages, as makes sense with the way it shuts down and has an error code.

Comment

The meaning of : "PROT. UVP: 8V6 VSND_POS, VSND_NEG" is :

8v6 Under voltage protection , from the VSND_POS, VSND_NEG in the SSB to the Display supply protection .

Usually , such protection circuit is built around an LM324 ..and remain to say that "VSND_POS, VSND_NEG" means the problem come from the Audio system .

Hope this will help here .

Comment

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
                        The meaning of : "PROT. UVP: 8V6 VSND_POS, VSND_NEG" is :

8v6 Under voltage protection , from the VSND_POS, VSND_NEG in the SSB to the Display supply protection .

Usually , such protection circuit is built around an LM324 ..and remain to say that "VSND_POS, VSND_NEG" means the problem come from the Audio system .

Hope this will help here .
                        Interesting! Thank you! What do you mean by LM324? And do you have any suggestions for my next steps in troubleshooting? If I can just verify this, I wouldn't be opposed to just replacing a board, rather than doing component level at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Truncatedhose View Post
                          Interesting! Thank you! What do you mean by LM324? And do you have any suggestions for my next steps in troubleshooting? If I can just verify this, I wouldn't be opposed to just replacing a board, rather than doing component level at this point.

Don't worry about the protection thingy , it's just protection and eventually the protection is what preventing further damage to the unit , so it;s working , The problem is in the Audio circuit , but i don't have a schema for this model . Maybe someone can help us with it . In the mean time you can do some visual checks on Audio parts , wherever they are located .

Comment

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
                            Don't worry about the protection thingy , it's just protection and eventually the protection is what preventing further damage to the unit , so it;s working , The problem is in the Audio circuit , but i don't have a schema for this model . Maybe someone can help us with it . In the mean time you can do some visual checks on Audio parts , wherever they are located .
                            Okay, I don't really see an obvious audio amp or something, can someone look at the board pics and point it out to me? I'd like to just replace the audio board if you are sure that is what the error is indicating. I have a great supplier of inexpensive boards.

Comment

Or is the audio circuit on the main board?

Comment

Audio amplifier should be on the main board. Look for it in the service manual, should have board diagrams.
                                Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Can you confirm that a main board would fix this problem? Where does it day this error code is an audio problem? I just want to be sure before ordering that board...

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

Wait there a second, why not try running the test patterns for the Pdp ? This will rule out failed mb.

Comment

Wait there a second, why not try running the test patterns for the Pdp ? This will rule out failed mb.
                                        How do I do that? I did hook it up to run the test pattern off the logic as I described in my initial post, but you're talking about something else?

Comment

Working...
                                        X