I just started looking at the am3+ boards. omg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageG...%20Motherboard

gold colored solids? thats..interesting
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Re: Need advice for new computer

Originally posted by lti View Post
      I'm not reusing the drive that is in my computer now, but the drive I was planning on using is a Western Digital 60GB ATA100. Would a new drive really be that much faster?
      Yes.

I would prefer to purchase a computer from a store, but any local stores only sell high-end components that are out of my price range or "media center" computers that have almost no hope of doing anything resembling work.
      Where are you located?
      Micro Center also does e-orders from their web store. Shipping seems reasonable, too.

Comment

Personally I don't see the need owning Ferrari to go get groceries.
        People forget that XP will run on a P3.

If this is to be basic GP machine then I'd look for an Abit or Supermicro socket 775 C2D board on eBay as a starting point.
        [Some still had IDE]
        After you know what the board is you can work the rest out.
        If you are going to go pre-built then look for a Dell that's not in a small type case.
        Last edited by PCBONEZ; 08-29-2011, 06:25 AM.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

I have decided to buy a laptop instead since my old Gateway Solo 2500 won't run some of the software I need for college (I wasn't expecting to use software that requires hardware 3D acceleration).

I started a thread for laptop advice, but I was told that the only laptops I should even consider buying are Dell Latitude D620s or D630s. A new computer doesn't cost much more than one of those models.

Comment

Take a look at Toughbook CF-51 and see if you like them.
            I have several versions in both Pentium-M and C2D.
            Can give advice on those or even build one for you.
            Price would depend on how you want it built and which version.
            I personally don't like laptops with 14" screens but I don't have to tote one to classes either.
            Last edited by PCBONEZ; 08-29-2011, 04:34 PM.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

the dell latitude d620 and d630 are nice... make sure you don't get nvidia graphics if relaibility is important to you.
              Last edited by ratdude747; 08-29-2011, 04:56 PM. Reason: forgot "don't"
              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Those Toughbooks sound expensive. If I were to buy one of those, I would want a C2D processor.

Laptops with widescreen displays that are larger than 14" might take up too much desk space.

My dad wants me to go to Wal-Mart and buy a laptop off the shelf. I might end up buying what I can find locally, whether it is new or used.

Comment

Those Toughbooks sound expensive. If I were to buy one of those, I would want a C2D processor.
                  The same or maybe $50 more than the Dells. Check eBay.
                  The taller screen means you have to scroll less to see a whole doc.
                  That's why they run more.

Laptops with widescreen displays that are larger than 14" might take up too much desk space.
                  Is not wide-screen, it's 15" XGA/UXGA.

My dad wants me to go to Wal-Mart and buy a laptop off the shelf. I might end up buying what I can find locally, whether it is new or used.
                  If he's paying that's what you should do.
                  Last edited by PCBONEZ; 08-29-2011, 05:46 PM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                    Is not wide-screen, it's 15" XGA/UXGA.
                    I wasn't talking about the Toughbook.

Comment

I wasn't talking about the Toughbook.
                      That's good because they don't have a wide screen.

You'll probably have trouble finding a newer one without a wide-screen.
                      Haven't looked that close, just seems like they all do anymore.
                      I don't like them either..

-

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      -

Comment

My dad wants me to go to Wal-Mart and buy a laptop off the shelf.
                        That's fine, but keep in mind that some consumer laptops have piss-poor cooling design so make sure you play around with the laptop a bit before you buy it. The first thing to do is to open Task Manager and make sure CPU usage is close to 0% and stays like that for a while - that way you can check how warm and loud the laptop is when it's sitting idle. If the laptop is fairly warm on the bottom or the fans are screaming loud, the cooling is likely no good.

If there's internet in the store, go on YouTube and play some 720p or 1080p (preferably) HD video for a few minutes. If the laptop gets fairly warm underneath or blows really hot air through the vents, it's probably no good as well.

Preferably pick a laptop that always runs the fans (but at a low speed) and ramps up the speed as you play YouTube videos or other CPU/GPU-intensive programs. Avoid laptops that sit with the fans off and periodically turn on to full speed.

I don't know if nVidia has fixed their newer chipsets and graphics, but I still think it's a good idea to avoid them for now.

If you have a flash drive, download either Speccy portable or the zip version of PCWizard 2006/2007/2008, put it on the flash drive, and run it on the computer at the store. Both Speccy and PCWizard will give you CPU temperature readouts and other usefull info.

This is how I picked a laptop for my sister. Ended up getting her a Compaq CQ61-420US (2.1 GHz AMD M320, 3GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4200) for $450 (after rebates) from Micro Center. She hasn't used it all that much, but it's been a year and it still works great. It barely gets warm when running 720p videos - CPU temp stays around 55C (and around 40C when idle), which I think is acceptable for laptops, and it stays fairly quiet as well. The only downside is the battery, which lasts about 2 hours, and maybe the size too - it's a 15.6", 16:9 wide screen - not exactly a laptop you want to lug around with you all day (even though it's fairly light).

Comment

ouch... the models wally world has in stock are tuned down models that are poorly made.

any product at walmart has likely had this done to it... walmart makes the prices, and companies adjust the product to meet the price... like say for ziplock baggies, they would make the plastic thinner, skimp on the zipper seals, etc. with a laptop, expect to find tiny batteries, thin plastic bodies, crappy processors, etc. The laptops there are cheaper for a reason.
                          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Hey guys im new here and wanted to know if a Dell XPS 410 is a good computer and is there a way to upgrade the CPU it has a 1.80g C2D.Im running win 7 Ultimate x64 with 4g of ram and a ATI Radeon X1650XT 256mb pcie video card. any help would be great..

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyd030 View Post
                              Hey guys im new here and wanted to know if a Dell XPS 410 is a good computer and is there a way to upgrade the CPU it has a 1.80g C2D.Im running win 7 Ultimate x64 with 4g of ram and a ATI Radeon X1650XT 256mb pcie video card. any help would be great..
                              You are the only one that can know if it meets your needs.
                              It's C2D and takes up to 4GB RAM.
                              That's fine for probably 95% of people.

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...M_EN/specs.htm

It has an Intel P965 Express Chipset.
                              Looking up that will tell you what CPU's it -could- take.
                              If Dell has not updated that in the latest BIOS then the mobo might not be able to actually do what the chipset can do.

The highest FSB looks to be 800MHz.
                              That will limit what CPUs you can use.
                              In a quick look I think that caps you at an E4700.
                              - By what you said your current CPU should be an E4300.
                              FSB and Cache are the same and in 'real world' apps those matter more than CPU clock speed.
                              [FSB is the limiter. When FSB doesn't change a faster CPU is just faster to be waiting on the FSB.]
                              You'd see some improvement by upgrading in some apps, but it wouldn't be drastic.

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                ouch... the models wally world has in stock are tuned down models that are poorly made.

any product at walmart has likely had this done to it... walmart makes the prices, and companies adjust the product to meet the price... like say for ziplock baggies, they would make the plastic thinner, skimp on the zipper seals, etc. with a laptop, expect to find tiny batteries, thin plastic bodies, crappy processors, etc. The laptops there are cheaper for a reason.
                                The computers that they sell aren't any worse than the computers sold at any other "brick and mortar" store. There is a store that sells nothing but computers, but they have radio ads saying that a new computer will make your Internet connection faster.

Comment

I am looking for a low-end desktop computer to replace two of my old junkers. However, I do not know what CPU or how much RAM would be the best. I am looking to spend about $400 and want 64-bit Windows 7. I only need onboard video, and I already know to avoid Nvidia chipsets.
                                  Not sure why you think you want 64bit Windows 7 unless you have other 64bit software that requires it. If not then stay with 32bit and avoid all the 64bit issues.

For $400 you can get damn good low-end desktop if you look around and buy a used refurb or a custom built machine. If you want all new parts try looking for a custom builder in your area and get a quote, honestly though you will get more for your money with a good working used machine.

You say you only need onboard video but often onboard saves little to no money and is crap compaired to a decent video card so dont rule that out. No need to avoid all Nvidia chipsets just certain ones.

You have set a price you want to spend (that is good) now decide what you want to do with it and what you expect it to do and I am sure people will help you find a good deal. Flipflopping on what you want (I want a desktop, no wait I want a Laptop) will only make it harder for people to help you.
                                  Last edited by brethin; 09-01-2011, 05:40 PM.

Comment

brethin - what are these "64bit issues" you speak of? I've had no compatibility issues on the many systems im running.
                                    Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

At the time, I was planning on running VirtualBox and thought that it required a 64-bit version of Windows Vista or 7. I finally got it running under 32-bit Windows XP.

I don't do anything that requires anything better than onboard video. The only 3D games I have were made in the 1990s and I don't have any HD videos. I have programming software that requires hardware 3D acceleration, but it works fine on the old HP laptop I want to replace. That computer has onboard S3 Twister K graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by dood View Post
                                        brethin - what are these "64bit issues" you speak of? I've had no compatibility issues on the many systems im running.
                                        Drivers for older hardware after all we were talking about a used older $400 machine. Im sure none of the new stuff you are using has any issues.

I am just saying if you dont need 64bit there is no point in getting it, why sell a guy something he doesnt need.

Comment

At the time, I was planning on running VirtualBox and thought that it required a 64-bit version of Windows Vista or 7. I finally got it running under 32-bit Windows XP.

I don't do anything that requires anything better than onboard video. The only 3D games I have were made in the 1990s and I don't have any HD videos. I have programming software that requires hardware 3D acceleration, but it works fine on the old HP laptop I want to replace. That computer has onboard S3 Twister K graphics.
                                          I understand that and I agree if onboard video is cheaper than buying a card that will fit your needs, that is what you should get. My point was you can get a card and actually be cheaper sometimes when the board has no onboard video and come out better in the long run.

Comment

Working...
                                          X