KZG's still bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KZG's still bad?

2000 hour KZG caps aren't expected to last. We're just annoyed when these 2000 hour caps fail a lot sooner than other brands' 2000 hour caps. Either KZG is overrating or other brands are underrating.
    Nichicon HM and HN are rated for 2000 hours as well. Keep in mind that that is 2000 hours minimum at rated ripple current and at rated temperature continually. If a computer mfr has components continually running that hot and with equivalent stress it won't be just the lytic caps that will fail in a few months.
    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Well, not really. Most FETs and diode bridges could operate under these temperatures for long time. If these are heating the caps, they can have 105 °C but still have to be able to survive it for almost a year (year is ~5,5 hour every day). We all know that KZGs will do this for less than 1000 hours
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Don't forget, though, that a 105C case temp on a semiconductor means an even hotter junction temperature, and that's what matters. In 1980, Boschert's design standard was not to have junction temps above 100C (or maybe it was 90C). I think companies allow higher nowadays.
        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
          Yo guys, I got Lenovo M57 microcomputer system in my hands. It is basically full of Chemi-Cons KZG, 1000 uF/6,3 V and 1500 uF/10 V. The big question is are they still bad, or has Nippon Chemi-Con changed the electrolyte?

Cause, you know, it has to hold at least a year when I will provide warranty reselling it, on the other hand, if they are good (or at least better than used to be), I can spare my Rubycons and the time, too

I don't know the exact manufacturing year, but they are darker than used to be, marked 8(7) 4R, 8(7) 4Z and 6(T) 2I. I guess this is new dating system as the older one I found definitely won't apply on this. Or they are just OEM's with different marking.
          I have that same board but in a custom case with much better cooling than the factory setup and have had no issuses with it (even with the KZG's) its all about the cooling.

If your just looking to unload it and not worry about it then change the caps but if you know its going somewhere where it will be kept cool and clean I would just offer the year warranty and replace the caps if it starts acting up.

Comment

Changed them, burned MOSFET, chaged it, burned again, changed, fan didn't work. Plugged fan on the disk molex and hopefully the guy will come for it soon :-D
            Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
              I have that same board but in a custom case with much better cooling than the factory setup and have had no issuses with it (even with the KZG's) its all about the cooling.
              I'm thinking the same thing, too.
              KZG don't seem to be quite as bad as Fuhjyyu was on Antec PSUs.

Because I cannot even recall seeing a bad KZG at WinCycle LOL.

And I can't find any signs of bad caps on my Asus A7N8X-X, which has a lot of them and a Dell Vostro 200 that was given to me in 2011.

And it looks like the ones on my MSI 845E Max could be fine.

Because the random cold boot problems on my MSI 845E Max seems to be related to my "StupidPower" 2.0 500W, which in November, 2011, found a bulging Fuhjyyu cap next to the outer fan.

But the last time I booted the MSI 845E Max, was before I saw any bad caps in the PSU.
              Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 04-14-2012, 06:35 PM.
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                I'm thinking the same thing, too.
                KZG don't seem to be quite as bad as Fuhjyyu was on Antec PSUs.
                I see them failing even on boards running Sempron CPUs. I also have an intel manufactured 775 board that i haven't gotten around to recapping yet, because it had 8 3300uF 16v KZGs scattered all over the place, and ALL but one were bloated. Even the two that hadn't bulged yet tested out of spec for ESR. The board was still working when i got it tho - the VRM out is all poly. Seeing bad KZG even in low-stress positions like RAM and chipset is enough to put them on my "replace on sight" list.

On the other hand the 3300uF 6.3v seems to be the most affected part, others do better. One of the boards i stripped for parts had in the VRM one 6.3v 3300u and the rest 6.3v 1500u (a whole bunch of 'em). All looked and tested good, including the 3300u. That's the first 3300u i've found good so far.
                Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I had a KZG 3300uF 6.3V that bulged in the sofa unused, so yes they are very very bad...

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                    I had a KZG 3300uF 6.3V that bulged in the sofa unused, so yes they are very very bad...
                    That's not like United Chemicon! I have a better chance seeing a bulging Samxon.
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

You may not be aware of that, but KZG has bad electrolyte. It is known bad series (together with one or two which share this electrolyte) for many years now. On the other hand, it is the cheapest from comparable caps. This together with known short life (shorter than specified) makes it great for MoBo makers cause it can die shortly after 2 year warranty.

Every manufacturer (maybe except for Rubycon) had or has its bad series: HN for Nichicon, KZG (KZJ/TMV) for NCC, the same (short life time and low price) but for power supplies (usually in displays) is GF for Man Yue.

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19441

Originally posted by Behemot View Post

Every manufacturer (maybe except for Rubycon) had or has its bad series
                        and Panasonic and Sanyo too

Comment

Should I get rid of used KZGs in my inventory?
                          My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

I recommend so. Junky caps. Having said that, I've an old board running in my dad's PC using 4 3300uf KZGs and an Opteron 939 which is fine. OSTs on that board too.

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
                              Yes.
                              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
                                If they test fine on an ESR meter, you can still keep them around for testing. And even if you can't test them, they may still work fine for general purpose projects.

At least that's what I do with my crappy caps. Sure they may not be very reliable, but if I need to recap something just to test it (i.e. no intention of leaving the caps there long term) or something that I don't care much about, then I use them.
                                The only thing worse than unreliable caps is failed caps.

Comment

Too much work with soldering just for testing. I change it, if it works, OK, if not, remove them and disassemble the HW for components.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                    If they test fine on an ESR meter, you can still keep them around for testing. And even if you can't test them, they may still work fine for general purpose projects.
                                    I wouldn't bother with using them for testing, too much hassle as Behemot said, but I generally keep cheap branded ones that test out OK in terms of ESR and capacitance for use in general purpose situations, random projects and such.
                                    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                    -David VanHorn

Comment

somehow... if possible... i will still avoid them

Comment

Working...
                                      X