Recommendations please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations please

Quick background: I work at a golf course where the main building and maintenance building are approximately 400 yards apart.
    The main building has the server and internet but the maintenance is to far away for them to run a line.
    There is wifi but the signal is simply to weak, it is also a portal so you have to open a browser and click for internet access.
    I would like to install an antenna (yagi or parabolic) on the building and a network card in my pc to pull in the signal.
    On top of this I would like to be able to feed the other two computers in the maintenance building via cable and have our own wifi signal.
    As there are so many cards and such out there I am looking for suggestions as to best performance/price.
    The other question is, can I install a wifi card in the pc (Windows 7 or 10) to pull in the signal and then connect a switch router (have a old one with DD WRT on it) to the original ethernet card in the pc thus providing the wifi and cabled connections?
    I've looked for a new card that has both wifi and ethernet but the only one I saw was rather expensive.

Re: Recommendations please

just use a tp-link high-power access point like a wa5110g / wa5210g

Comment

Thank you STJ but they won't work for my situation.
      The IT guy refuses to change anything at the main building, which has a great deal of metal in it, as does the shop.
      The other problem is I have to sign into the available wifi as it is a public portal connection, simple enough if I have a browser access. IT won't allow anyone but the office managers onto the secure system via wifi. I would simply use the DD WRT powered router if it wasn't for that.

Comment

Install a high-power antenna, have some kind of receiver w/ coax line, and hook that to a cable Internet box. Use the Ethernet connection for the WiFi router, and done.
        Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
        RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
        Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
        - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
        - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
        - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
        - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Bridging the connection between wireless and a wired connection is easy, however I think the portal might possibly cause an issue with your DD-WRT router (you couldn't run DHCP on it).

If you have two laptops you could try it out before spending any money.
          Connect to the DD-WRT router and configure the wireless and turn off DHCP.
          Plug it onto the Ethernet socket on the laptop. Connect your laptop to the the wireless network and bridge the connection between the wireless and wired, then see if another laptop can connect to your router.

Comment

I had to do something similar back in 2008 when i was an IT systems engineer for a company, we were waiting for fiber to be installed under a road, but some dufus had already setup the factory with its machines.... I installed two of these, one at either end and it worked great, that great infact that they decided to use it as a backup in case anyone accidentally chopped the fiber when digging up the road....

Similar product to this would work, but you would need to check out the range properly and find one that will intersect with your WIFI Base Station by 33 - 45% at least, that way you would get a decent stable signal in all weathers....
            http://www.uk.insight.com/en-gb/prod...FY4V0wodZM4MVg

The company i work for now, installs WIFI in Towns and cities in the UK...

Comment

not "Kelly's" i hope!

Comment

No way... I wont say my opinion of them on a public forum... lol

Comment

depends on the budget......
                  can consider looking at ubiquiti outdoor range

Comment

If there is a business purpose to support it then putting in fiber is the best answer. In the long run it will pay for itself in reliability, bandwidth, lightning immunity, etc. Run everything on it: Internet, in house computer links, telephone system, video surveillance.

Comment

Working...
                    X