Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Amplifier Power Supply Question

Hello,

A friend of mine gave me his car amplifier because it stopped working. I told him I'd take a look and see if anything obvious was damaged (like a blown cap etc.). I found NOTHING burnt out inside the amp ... no burn marks, no blown components (including mosfets), so naturally I was puzzled. I thought maybe there were some cold solder joints on the board at the voltage source, so I re-heated some of the solder points but no luck.

Here is what the amp is doing:
    When I connect the amp to 12 volts, the voltage at the input immediately reads 5 volts, and the green power LED lights up but it's very dim. After doing some googling - as I have never troubleshot any deeper than visually inspecting components and I completely lack those skills (in spite of taking two years of electronics including electrical calculus over 20 years ago) ... what I learned is that a lot of times, people just replace all of the MOSFETS on the power supply side of the amplifier. But before I do this, I wanted someone to at least confirm with me that I'm making the right choice or am I just stabbing in the dark hoping to solve the problem?

I did read some things about checking the MOSFETS but I admit that it was a little confusing and I'm not quite sure I'm doing it right ... so maybe some assistance with that process would help me confirm bad MOSFETS? Do they need to be taken out of the circuit before checking them ??? or ????

Anyways, thank you very much to anyone who can help me figure this out.

Sincerely,

Mike

Re: Car Amplifier Power Supply Question

what are you powering it from?

Comment

Usually these amps require a lot of current to start, try using a car battery as the 12 volt supply

Comment

How about good clear pictures of what we are dealing with it? That will be a great starting point.
        Never stop learning
        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

The amp was connected directly to a 12 volt car battery.

Pictures will be here soon ... maybe an hour.

Comment

well my thinking is that your wires may be too thin.

*if* the amp itself was drawing too much power then the fuse(s) would blow,
            so your not providing enough power to run it or blow the fuse(s)

the battery is probably good, so that only leaves the wires.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              well my thinking is that your wires may be too thin.

*if* the amp itself was drawing too much power then the fuse(s) would blow,
              so your not providing enough power to run it or blow the fuse(s)

the battery is probably good, so that only leaves the wires.
              But this amp was running fine in the car for many months, then all of a sudden it starts doing what its doing.

Comment

it would have been a good idea to meter the voltages on the power and control terminals before removing it from the car!

Comment

You hooked up the remote wire?
                  Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

You say you hook it up to 12 volts but at the input you only get 5 volts, So what is happening to the 7 volts thats being lost? Should'nt be too hard to figure out. What guage wire are you using to connect the 12 volts to the amp?

Comment

What do you mean by you only get 5 volts at the input ?

Are you saying with power ground and remote hooked up to the amp you are measuring the voltage directly across the power and ground terminal?

Don't start replacing parts just to replace them ..

Myself or others in this form can help troubleshoot the amp somyou are not wasting money on parts you don't need ..

For example if the power supply fets are defective the drivers can also be defective and if not replaced you will burn the new power supply fets up..

Also the output transistors can be defective it could be a number of things ..

Please post pics of the amp and the make and model number since it will
                      Make things a lot easier to troubleshoot ..

Comment

Working...
                      X