HP 625 only starts up when it wants to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP 625 only starts up when it wants to

I've done a few of those already so i didn't expect trouble, but this one seems to be intent on giving me a headache.

It powered up but didn't display anything at all. No blink codes either.

Replaced NB - same thing.

Flashed the BIOS - at first it blinked the CPU error code on the Caps Lock, then after a few attempts it started working and displayed fine. Turned it off and on again and it doesn't work anymore... Also, it started blinking Caps Lock continuously.

Thinking i've got a dud chip, i reballed the original NB and put it back. It does exactly the same deal. Either 1 blink or continuous blinks of Caps Lock. It did display once, and was able to get in the BIOS and mess around with things, but as soon as i restarted it it's dead again.

I think it is impossible for both NBs to be faulty in exactly the same way. It immediately recognizes if there is no RAM in and blinks the appropriate code (also on the POST card), and it takes longer for it to start blinking if i put in more RAM, so i would guess that the NB is fine and it's something else it's getting stuck at.

POST card reports it gets stuck at either "7B" or "15" if that helps anyone.
    Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 05-19-2014, 02:03 AM.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Re: HP 625 only starts up when it wants to

maybe the bios is gone again.
    if it's one of those serial chips then they can fail sometimes by randomly losing bits.

Comment

hp 625 have ATI HD 3200IGP which is always problem. try to reheat.

Comment

It mostly points to a CPU error or a communication error of DIMM slots to CPU. Have you asked the customer if laptop had a fall incident?
        You can check it by checking continuity of rails between CPU and DIMM slots (on the dimm, not dimm pads) but is a labouries work.
        At least you can resolder dimm slots and reflow CPU socket.
        Last edited by atsio; 05-19-2014, 03:35 AM.

Comment

Th3_uN1Qu3> WHAT KIND OF POST CARD U R USING?

Comment

Try this

This helped me many times (especially on dv5s)

-Take out CPU & mems
            -hold pwr button for 20-30 sec without psu
            -connect psu & start laptop without anything
            -put the mems in, but without cpu
            -then take out mems start with only cpu
            -now you should get 3 blink code which indicates mems problem
            -put the mems in & should come up

It doesn't make any sense to me, but sometimes works...
            Also noticed, when I've took the cpu off the bad board & put to 100% working one, had 1 cont. blink code (CPU) anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by ktmmotocross View Post
              Th3_uN1Qu3> WHAT KIND OF POST CARD U R USING?
              I'm using the "Debug King" POST card.

Originally posted by atsio View Post
              It mostly points to a CPU error or a communication error of DIMM slots to CPU. Have you asked the customer if laptop had a fall incident?
              You can check it by checking continuity of rails between CPU and DIMM slots (on the dimm, not dimm pads) but is a labouries work.
              At least you can resolder dimm slots and reflow CPU socket.
              Don't think it's the socket but i may give that a go... thanks. I don't know whether it took a fall or not, but it may have.

Originally posted by stj View Post
              maybe the bios is gone again.
              if it's one of those serial chips then they can fail sometimes by randomly losing bits.
              BIOS was completely dead (not recognized by programmer), has been replaced by new one. I'm 100% sure this chip is okay.

Originally posted by ktmmotocross View Post
              hp 625 have ATI HD 3200IGP which is always problem. try to reheat.
              It's HD4250 actually, and i have already replaced it twice with the same result.
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

i have the same problem now just replaced NB with new , flashed bios , changed Cpu same problem 1 blink and no display . any idea please

Comment

hi Th3_uN1Qu3,
                  yesterday, i was working on dell inspiron N5040, that give 7 beeps code of cpu,
                  i have repalced cpu but steel beeping, but when i repalace the cpu regulator that was isl95831, display come and no beep sound, try to replace your cpu regulator and see if it help, good luck friend.

Comment

Originally posted by polytek View Post
                    hi Th3_uN1Qu3,
                    i have repalced cpu but steel beeping, but when i repalace the cpu regulator that was isl95831, display come and no beep sound, try to replace your cpu regulator and see if it help, good luck friend.
                    hy mate!
                    can you tell me what give it away ?
                    like how did you knew it was bad?
                    thanks
                    Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

I have another funtional hp 625 tested on it Cpu and ram are functional also i get the it Dump flashed but the same problem , 1 blink .

Comment

Originally posted by polytek View Post
                        hi Th3_uN1Qu3,
                        Look if have Ati NB reflow it.

Comment

have same 6735s. one blink. reballed, replaced still one blink.
                          this ati igp systems is worst ic in the world. but giving me lot of work so it is good

Comment

This is shaping up to be close to the nvidia fiasco of 2005-2009... But still, those AMD chips fail in lesser numbers and most of them are fine for a long time after reballing. Here it's more a case of bad thermal management. Most of the laptops with these chipsets have poor cooling, and many do not even monitor the temperature of the chipset.

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ricoh View Post
                              hy mate!
                              can you tell me what give it away ?
                              like how did you knew it was bad?
                              thanks
                              the cpu volatge is not stable, and cpu not getting hot, i check all mosfet and caps and coil for poor conatact, then i have replaced the isl95831

Comment

Working...
                              X