X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSU nearly starts fire

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11...vs_reg_reader/

All the more reason to avoid cheapies.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Re: PSU nearly starts fire

Look at the HS in the 1st pic. Ah, the the "T" HS of doom.

That must have been really flimsy metal to burn through like that. Must have had some zinc added (zinc burns... some compounds of it will burn at room temp even).

This is why I hate noobery...

I just hope the guy learns his lesson... although I think he'll buy another cheapie with a different brand name (read: overpriced ripoff) slapped on it. Lemming.
    Last edited by ratdude747; 11-26-2012, 11:45 PM.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
      Look at the HS in the 1st pic. Ah, the the "T" HS of doom.

That must have been really flimsy metal to burn through like that. Must have had some zinc added (zinc burns... some compounds of it will burn at room temp even).

This is why I hate noobery...

I just hope the guy learns his lesson... although I think he'll buy another cheapie with a different brand name (read: overpriced ripoff) slapped on it. Lemming.
      Unfortunately, probably....Can't tell you how many reviews I've seen on Newegg such as "This is the 63rd Logisys in a row that's burned up, this brand sucks! I'm buying Diablotek from now on!!!!1!!1!11!1!"

Comment

I recently load tested a PSU (made by CoodMax ) with those heat sinks. Once I was done killing it, I broke the heat sink into a few pieces with nothing but my bare hands.

I do find it a bit unusual that it actually caught on fire, though. I've seen lots of cheapies blow up, but I'm yet to see one actually start a fire. My pet theory is that there was some dust in there which caught fire as one of the switchers blew.
        Last edited by c_hegge; 11-27-2012, 04:19 AM.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

...and that look I get from people when I use old Hipro/Delta units from Dell computers... they must think i'm insane cause i'm using old parts in my new PC instead of the newest made-in-china PSU that only costs $15!!! WHAT A BARGAIN! NOT.
          Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Once I was done killing it, I broke the heat sink into a few pieces with nothing but my bare hands.
            Interesting! Was it multiple sections of extrusion that were interlocked or riveted together? Or maybe powdered metal pressed into shape like particle board? The former would have terrible heat transfer from one extruded section to another. The latter would be relatively light and probably lack the physical mass/integrity to be an effective heatsink.
            PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
            To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
              Interesting! Was it multiple sections of extrusion that were interlocked or riveted together? Or maybe powdered metal pressed into shape like particle board? The former would have terrible heat transfer from one extruded section to another. The latter would be relatively light and probably lack the physical mass/integrity to be an effective heatsink.
              They are stamped extrusions like any other heatsink... they just happen to be insanely thin. Some are two "L" pieces, bolted together at the top. Otherds are all one extrusion.
              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

They are stamped extrusions like any other heatsink...
                Stamp-and-bend and extrusion are two quite different processes. In the former, the heatsink is stamped from sheet aluminum and then the bending of fins and such is a second operation. In extrusion, molten aluminum is extruded under pressure though a die (like frosting by a pastry chef) that gives it its profile. The raw extrusion can be several feet long, and needs to be cut to the desired length. Stamp-and-bend is cheaper than extrusion, but the thickness and complexity (= surface area) are limited. The cheesy thing that can be done to extrusion is that two simple shapes can be bolted or riveted together to make what looks like a complex, beefy shape, but the heat conduction from one section to the other will be much poorer than a solid complex shape. A large, thick stamp-and-bend heatsink with lots of splayed fins may possibly be better than two really thin sections of extrusion poorly bolted together.
                PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Were those computer parts were built to less stringent flammabililty standards? Because several years ago, someone involved in circuit board production in the Far East said they used different fiberglass resins for boards, depending on where the products would be sold, and products for the US market had to be the most fire resistant. Also a German website bought identical brand TVs around the world and burned them, and the ones for the US were the hardest to burn.

Comment

Another reminder about cheap power supplies, the old saying is: you get what you pay for.

Originally posted by larrymoencurly View Post
                    Were those computer parts were built to less stringent flammabililty standards? Because several years ago, someone involved in circuit board production in the Far East said they used different fiberglass resins for boards, depending on where the products would be sold, and products for the US market had to be the most fire resistant. Also a German website bought identical brand TVs around the world and burned them, and the ones for the US were the hardest to burn.
                    I don't understand why Far East manufacturers use different fiberglass resins for boards dependent on market.
                    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by larrymoencurly View Post
                      several years ago, someone involved in circuit board production in the Far East said they used different fiberglass resins for boards, depending on where the products would be sold, and products for the US market had to be the most fire resistant..
                      Originally posted by japlytic View Post
                      I don't understand why Far East manufacturers use different fiberglass resins for boards dependent on market.
                      I'm guessing fire resistant resin costs more than regular resin. I think he mentioned using at least 3 different grades, for different flammability levels.

Comment

Looking at the pics, looks like one of the primary caps let loose and did this?

Comment

Working...
                        X