X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leakseaker

hi does anyone know if the leakseaker meter is any good

Re: leakseaker

Leakseeker testers work well for locating shorted components on a pc board when one does not have a strong suspicion of any one component or group of components being shorted. In that case, unsoldering large numbers of parts would be impractical. The Leakseeker can point to the offender rather quickly. This type of tester is more useful for locating bad semiconductor components such as ICs, transistors, diodes, etc... that happen to fail in a shorted mode. capacitors can and do also fail that way, but not very often [ in my experience].

Huck

Comment

hi thanks for the reply do you know an a good place to buy one also would they be suitable on a smd component

Comment

Originally posted by insomnia
        hi thanks for the reply do you know an a good place to buy one also would they be suitable on a smd component
        Interesting device. Yes, it should work on any component that is loading down a power, signal, or data line. It doesn't matter if it was SMD, through-hole, or even point-to-point wired. I can think of hundreds of times this would have saved a lot of time and trouble.

One thing I saw the was a little alarming (if it wasn't a typo) was that it uses an 8 volt source. If that isn't a typo, it could do serious damage to most ICs on the line.

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

A better voltage would have been 3.3V much more IC friendly.
          Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
            Interesting device. Yes, it should work on any component that is loading down a power, signal, or data line. It doesn't matter if it was SMD, through-hole, or even point-to-point wired. I can think of hundreds of times this would have saved a lot of time and trouble.

One thing I saw the was a little alarming (if it wasn't a typo) was that it uses an 8 volt source. If that isn't a typo, it could do serious damage to most ICs on the line.

PlainBill

ye my brother had me to look at some mobo,s for him and it is very puzzling with the smd components i put in 8 hours one evening messing with this board to find noting to much to go true so i thought it might be handy how about using this is it hard to use

Comment

PlainBill, I purchased one yeserday after asking the manufacturer about your concerns (which concerned me too). Here is his response to the question of 8 volts cooking chips:

"NO, as the manual describes, it is current limited. The 8 volts drops down to 5 to 10 millivolts even on high shorts, and down to microvolts on near-zero shorts. In 20+ years that LeakSeeker has been available, there have been zero reports of any problems caused."

I know this is an old thread, but I thought this might be useful
              Last edited by JohnLWG; 07-26-2012, 09:52 AM.

Comment

anyone have experiance with this tester?,is it any good?
                fixed so far...376 lg lcd tv's,24 onn tv;s,24 panasonic lcd,16 jvc lcd,12 marshall jcm800 amps,refurb of various disco equipment lighting,old style disco decks ,and a flymo!

----------------------------------------------
                please let us know if everything works ok if your tv gets fixed, as it will be and aid for anyone else having the same problem and wishing to fix it.it would save people clogging up this site with topics that are duplicated,and can be found easily using the search function.,and taking up valuable space.enjoy your fixed tv!,hopefully!

Comment

Originally posted by multimeter View Post
                  anyone have experiance with this tester?,is it any good?
                  I bought one about a week ago. The build quality is very good. It seems to work fine, but i pretty much only have multilayer laptop boards to practice on. apparently it still works on multi layer boards, but the process is more complex. I'm stil llearning to use it, and hope to have some actually useful input soon!

Comment

Where can you buy it?
                    Are there different shops?
                    I find only one.

Comment

Working...
                    X