HP LP3065 will not come out of standby after connecting XBOX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP LP3065 will not come out of standby after connecting XBOX

My HP LP3065 30" 2560x1600 monitor has been connected to my computer for many years without a glitch, but now it seems stuck in standby mode; power LED briefly goes to green=on when switching on the unit, but then falls back to orange=standby even if there is incoming video signal.

It all started when I hooked up a newly bought Xbox One to the second DVI port on the LP3065 using a standard HDMI to DVI adapter. As the Xbox apparently prefers to output 720p or 1080p naturally I didn't get any picture on my monitor as its design only allows 2560x1600 and 1280x800. The power LED blinked in orange which means unsupported video mode.
    While I was looking up the facts about the Xbox resolutions on my laptop I noticed that the power LED stopped blinking and went into firm orange=standby instead.

And now it won't come out of standby even when disconnecting the Xbox and just using the existing connection to the computer on DVI 1. It is still correctly detected by the computer and showing the correct allowed video modes.

I noticed a slightly new behaviour. The LP3065 has a characteristic discrete ticking sound every 5 secs caused by it entering a higher power state to scan the DVI ports for signal. You can also see this as a power spike if measuring on the wall socket.
    Now I hear that the ticking sound is more quiet, and has a bouncing echo to it, ie every 5 secs it goes tick-tick-tick-tick-tick with decreasing amplitude.

So before I do anything else, I'd like to ask you experts here if this sounds like something fairly easily repairable?
    And does the failure after running invalid video mode make sense? Normally, the monitor should handle this, but is there some extra strain that could tip things over and explain this?

Thanks
    Mike

Re: HP LP3065 will not come out of standby after connecting XBOX

Usually a ticking sound is caused by the power supply trying to start but sees a short somewhere in the secondary of the power supply, so it won't start and keeps trying. Check for possible shorted diodes or other components in the secondary.
    I know other monitors will display `Out of range' if supplied with wrong freq. but usually won't hurt the monitor

Comment

Thanks R-J,
      So you'd say that the secondary power supply stage is the most probable fault location? That sounds more fixable than the input signal circuits.
      Btw, this monitor model is delivered from factory with that ticking sound; back in the day there were actually quite some people that complained about their new units making noise when not used.

Comment

Strange case.. if there's a short circuit for a fact of proximity it's more likely in the video input board, as a last chance you can test the power board by itself like in many other threads suggested, but i would start to power on the mon. with at least 2 buttons pressed, various combinations, this to enter the factory menu, maybe that this can reset something...

Comment

In other power supplies a ticking sound could indicate a shutdown condition, in this case I am propably wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Davi.p View Post
            i would start to power on the mon. with at least 2 buttons pressed, various combinations, this to enter the factory menu, maybe that this can reset something...
            Yes, some kind of factory reset was actually the first thing I searched for but didn't find anything. I'll try your suggestion when I'm back home tomorrow!

I'm keen on examining the voltages in the power supply but for the next three weeks I have only one arm available (due to shoulder surgery) which makes this task somewhat harder :-P... So keep the suggestions coming but unfortunately I'm unable to open up the monitor at the moment. If you have experience that this is most probably already a lost cause then please tell me and I'll go and buy a new monitor this week :-)

Thanks for all help so far!
            Mike

Comment

No experiences in this type of problem, but for a big screen like this if it were mine i would inspect further, i would also contact HP because this is not normal.. i've never used DVI connetion but i don't think this situation possible.

Comment

your xbox will probably never work on a monitor,
                i'v tried this with a ps3.

the problem is PAL HDMI is 50Hz and i'v not seen any monitors that will go under 60.
                a u.s. / japanese console may work, but not a European one.

Comment

I got back earlier so did some wild punching of different combinations on the monitor's buttons. I discoverd that holding in the decrease brightness button while pressing the power button, then release both, will on the next press of the power button turn the monitor on with a green power LED.
                  This is normally the indication of full power on (not standby) but the screen is still black (backlighting off).

This was quite interesting and I'll keep trying. Are there any standard combinations that usually work?

Comment

"Are there any standard combinations that usually work?" I don't think so, it is supposed to be a secret combination typical of a certain brand/models. If buttons are in a normal number like 5 its easier to start with a 2 buttons pressed, after that one can also try to find a service manual that i hope reveals some tricks..

Comment

Same problem.

during several years of use, sometimes monitor not come out from sleep mode, but it is always solved by rebooting PC.

Several days ago I tried to run X Server under newly installed FreeBSD, monitor goes to sleep (orange led) and never come back :-(

Then I connect it, Windows see it, but LED indicator green only few seconds after power-on and then goes orange.

And yes, I had always heard the clicks every 5-10sec during sleep mode, but now they're gone.

Comment

Welcome to the forum-
                        We can help a lot more if you please post good clear pictures of the whole chassis, and then pictures of each board, front and back (in the same orientation) and close up of connectors, ( jpg max resolution 2000x2000 and 3MB) using the manage attachments button, which is found by clicking "go advanced" under quick reply.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

Examples of what is needed

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1280167246

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...6&d=1280167246

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...4&d=1280167246

It will be useful if you can say a bit about yourself - skills tools etc.
                        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by Serzh View Post
                          Same problem.

during several years of use, sometimes monitor not come out from sleep mode, but it is always solved by rebooting PC.

Several days ago I tried to run X Server under newly installed FreeBSD, monitor goes to sleep (orange led) and never come back :-(

Then I connect it, Windows see it, but LED indicator green only few seconds after power-on and then goes orange.

And yes, I had always heard the clicks every 5-10sec during sleep mode, but now they're gone.
                          make sure the xserver config is compatable with the monitor - specially the vertical sync rate.

i used to see this a lot with people upgrading from crt to lcd.
                          the crt was usually set for something like 80hz, but most lcd's wont run over 73hz

[crtl]+[alt]+[backspace] should kill the xserver and get you a picture back.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                            make sure the xserver config is compatable with the monitor - specially the vertical sync rate.

i used to see this a lot with people upgrading from crt to lcd.
                            the crt was usually set for something like 80hz, but most lcd's wont run over 73hz

[crtl]+[alt]+[backspace] should kill the xserver and get you a picture back.
                            I understand it, but wrong config break something in the Monitor.

I will try today using this instruction https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...67&postcount=4
                            Last edited by Serzh; 08-20-2014, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Input Board and Power Supply Board
                              Attached Files

Comment

I found the problem in another tread:
                                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13640

Comment

Working...
                                X