Are all of these caps bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are all of these caps bad?

It appears the smaller caps have a leak in the top?

What is going on with the ooze on the bottom of the larger caps?

Thanks!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by c_hegge; 10-31-2014, 05:05 AM. Reason: Attached images locally

Re: Are all of these caps bad?

sometimes the pressure forces out through the top stamp, other times it gets between the wire and the rubber bung - whatever gives first.

i can say with pana FC's if you do overstress one, the bung will leak long before the top domes or bursts.

btw, did you intend to attache foto's ? your wording made me think you did.
    Last edited by stj; 10-31-2014, 02:03 AM.

Comment

It is glue

Comment

Yup. I'm pretty sure it's just glue.

Also, don't use photobucket or other 3rd party image hosting here. We prefer it if images are attached to your post locally.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

yay, i see foto's this time.

yep, that's old glue - probably evostik or some variant.

Comment

Why do they do that on them for ?
            http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg305.pdf

Comment

probably to hold them down before the solder-wave machine does it's thing.

Comment

That glue was a tan color when new. When it turn brown from heat, it gets conductive and

Don't ask me how I know conductive glue in a power supply
                Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

how old is the device? if 5 years or older I always unsolder at least one to see what the reading is. I found a lot of junk caps that way. caps can go bad without any visible defects

Comment

Judging by the color of those caps and the board layout, it's at least 15 years old, if not more.
                    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

29 years old

Originally posted by CapSwapper View Post
                      how old is the device? if 5 years or older I always unsolder at least one to see what the reading is. I found a lot of junk caps that way. caps can go bad without any visible defects
                      Thanks for the responses all. I'll start to desolder them and take a look at their readings.

Comment

Working...
                      X