Will an HP DV9000 Boot from SSD ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will an HP DV9000 Boot from SSD ?

I've read conflicting opinions. If it depends on the Bios does the system really need to have Vista installed ?

I have Win7 on the ssd and all I get is "No OS Found"...

Re: Will an HP DV9000 Boot from SSD ?

I have a Crucial C300 SSD in mine with Windows 7. It works great. Try doing a clean install.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I did and it installed fine but will not boot from it. Is it bios dependent or maybe just finicky with the brand ?

Comment

There shouldn't be a problem. It ideally needs Vista or above rather than XP as XP doesn't support TRIM but i can be done.
        What happens when you try and boot. do you get an error message ? What make/model SSD is it ?

Comment

The message is "No OS Found". Can't remember what make/model the damn thing is but if I go into the bios it is not seen by the system.

And it is Win7 not XP.
          Last edited by mmartell; 10-21-2014, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Did you install Windows 7 or clone it from a hard drive ?
            I've fitted a few hundred SSD of various makes in many different types of machine. they do die, some more so than others like the older OCZ.
            Have you another PC you can test the drive with? Check to see if there is a newer firmware for it.

Comment

mmartell,

I recommend that you follow the advice on here.

1. Confirm that the drive is OK (find diagnostic software from the manufacturer). We can help if you actually give us make/model.
              2. Try installing on a regular HDD. Confirm that the laptop boots it. Image the HDD install onto the SSD.

Comment

The drive is well enough that Win7 was installed on it from an installation disc. The Windows disc could see the drive and so it could install to it but after rebooting the system doesn't see it.

Just thought of something. Will get back...

Comment

I've had almost the same problems with HDDs. Try formating all of the partitions on the drive, deleting them and then allocating all space to one partition and formating that.
                  If it doesn't work try forcing the pc to boot from the SSD via the quick boot options or the BIOS.
                  Keyboard not detected, press F1 to continue...

Comment

This thing is wacky as hell. I burned a Ubunto.iso both to dvd and usb flash and it loads sometimes, others it just goes off into the weeds with a black screen so there is something more at work here.

Comment

is this a UEFI bios ???

Comment

Ummm... what is that ?

Comment

DV9000 is old enough it won't be UEFI at all.

Comment

UEFI BIOSes are the new "Windows 8" BIOSes. An uefi bios has a few features like faster post, even faster post and a faster boot if the installed OS is windows 8/8.1. It also adds mouse support in the BIOS and some other features, some of which are useful, others are are just cool to have.

But, as said in the post above me, the DV9000 is old and it doesn't support that. In fact I think anything older than windows 8 doesn't come with an UEFI BIOS.

Comment

Ok thanks for that explanation. This laptop came loaded with Vista so no uefi here.

Comment

that's BS UEFI bios has been in devices for well over a year.
                                and it's not for booting win8 faster, it's for locking down the machine so it wont boot "unauthorised code" as MS puts it.
                                http://www.uefi.org/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unifie...ware_Interface
                                Last edited by stj; 10-23-2014, 02:30 AM.

Comment

older than you think.
                                  In 2009, IBM shipped System x machines (x3550 M2, x3650 M2, iDataPlex dx360 M2) and BladeCenter HS22 with UEFI capability. Dell shipped PowerEdge T610, R610, R710, M610 and M710 servers with UEFI capability. More commercially available systems are mentioned in a UEFI whitepaper.

In 2011, major vendors (such as ASRock, Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI) launched several consumer-oriented motherboards using the Intel 6-series LGA 1155 chipset and AMD 9 Series AM3+ chipsets with UEFI.

Comment

Windows 8 gives the impression of booting much faster as it never shuts down only sleeps.
                                    UEFI has been around a while, Dell have been using in some of their laptops for at least a couple of years on some models. I also built 60 PCs a couple of years ago with Gigabyte motherboards that had UEFI.

Comment

Wow, I wasn't really expecting people to react to my post like that. Yes UEFI has been around for some time, but it became widely spread around the release of windows 8. I didn't say it was made only to boot win8 faster, that's just some of the things it does. I was simply trying to give a basic description of what UEFI was and the main features that most users get from it (I said most users to avoid posts of people telling me that it does much more). The sleep thing is mostly why the OS boots faster, but I've seen that on the few laptops that have UEFI support I've tested it does boot a tiny bit faster.

Anyway I think that this is a bit of topic, the guy simply asked for a quick description of it not a wikipedia reference or us telling him the history of UEFI.

Ow and thanks for the quotes and links, I did learn some useful things from them.
                                      Last edited by reaper57; 10-23-2014, 04:07 AM.

Comment

the important thing is UEFI stores junk on a hidden partition and can be a bastard when you want to swap the drive or install a new o.s. unless you get the settings right and make sure the drive is really blank.

Comment

Working...
                                        X