BenQ 24 Monitor FP241W - PSU Cap is dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BenQ 24 Monitor FP241W - PSU Cap is dead

Been reading a LOT on this forum, and its amazing. I have learned so much.. (and I'm a tech!)

Anyway, I have this 5 year old BenQ 24 inch.. was using the PC and I hear a sizzling sound, then POP! Won't power up at all.

Open the back, looked at all the caps--no bulges (but that doesn't mean much).. BUT, I find on the power supply board that the one big cap (the Elite 450 / 120μF)
    I can visually see the acid (brown rust looking stuff) trying to ooze out. The board didn't have any on it thank god.. every thing looked fine..

Looks a LOT like this image:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/...10603-1828.jpg

It's about 2 inches long.. 1/2 inch thick.. big one.

Other text on it is:

Elite 450 / 120μF
    PW (M) 105c
    (C)0623
    and PET is repeated along the side of the cap...

The "POP" was probably the fuse, right?
    It's a 'white' ceramic fuse--hate that-- info is T4AH (and or TR601) / 250V

I have a volt meter, but what settings should I use to check the fuse? 250 volts..? I am totally new to caps and this stuff.. I can build a PC blind folded, and have fixed a PS3 with the no clean flux re-flow, but this is beyond me, and I need help. You guys are amazing, and I thank you for this forum, and its members.

I'm just in love with this BenQ.. its the old 16:10.. (I bought a new BenQ, but Its a 16:9) and I really do miss that inch. lol... so If I can get this up and running, I'll be running 3D MAX with 2 monitors..
    or playing Battlefield 3..

Thank you!! If you need a picture of the cap, I can go open it back up and take some shots.. I have a good DSLR.

Thanks again!!!

Ziroc
    Last edited by Ziroc; 03-18-2013, 12:13 AM.

Re: BenQ 24 Monitor FP241W - No Power (PSU Cap bad?)

Originally posted by Ziroc View Post

It's a 'white' fuse--hate that-- info is T4AH (and or TR601) / 250V

I have a volt meter, but what settings should I use to check the fuse?
    It might have been a fuse; but it also could be the cap. A capacitor will sometimes sizzle and pop. To check the fuse you want to set your DMM to 200 ohms. Touch the leads together and see what it measures. It should read less than .9 ohm. With power off, touch both ends of the fuse and you should get a very low reading if its good (continuity). No reading, or any reading above say .1 to.9 (depending on how it read when you touched the leads together) would indicate its no good.

It might just be that big cap, or maybe it took something with it. Some pictures would be nice if you can. Use the "manage attachments" feature and we'll try to get you fixed up good

Comment

Re: BenQ 24 Monitor FP241W - PSU Cap is dead

For Pictures

Welcome to the forum-
      We can help a lot more if you please post good clear pictures of the whole chassis, and then pictures of each board, front and back (in the same orientation) and close up of connectors, (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) using the manage attachments button, which is found by clicking "go advanced" under quick reply.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

Examples of what is needed

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1280167246

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...6&d=1280167246

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...4&d=1280167246
      Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

I took the best shots I could.. I can take more as soon as I get my other camera back from a friend. But the main cap, the 450v was the issue (see the brown stuff--and i moved the prong a bit, and it came off easy. broke off or was already separated from the inside..

(I scraped some of the white silicone off.. will clean it fully when I replace the cap)

Looks JUST like the image I saw in the Dell thread, heck the same side of the prong!

If you know what I need, post the best replacement from Digikey's with what I need to replace that Elite 450 120μF
        PW (M) 105c cap, and that fuse..

I checked the MM on the fuse, and its dead.. so the cap overloaded? and killed the fuse? or the fuse saw the overload, and was like "whoa.. better stop this NOW, and pop!

Thank you all, Wish I had a macro lens on the DSLR Canon.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Ziroc; 03-19-2013, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Ok Cant actually see the fuse properly in the picture Digikey have two
          one is glass the other ceramic you will need to check the physical size and
          get glass or ceramic to match the old one
          Part Nos 507-1252-ND and 507-1213-ND

The Big Cap there are 6 possibles all are ok you will need to pick one nearest the size you have and correct distance between pins. I think I would go for a higher ripple rating they are a little more expensive, but have longer life.

Again I cannot tell if any other components are damaged or if caps are swollen.
          Better get 3 or 4 fuses though if it blows again straight away just let us know and you can rig something to save fuses.

You can wait see if LJ777 has more to add.
          Attached Files
          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Ok, I ordered the cap, (third one down on the list), and ordered 10 ceramic fuses (as you said, just in case).

Removing this old cap should be easy right? remove the entire board, and heat it underneath, and stick a needle in it, and clean out the holes?

I have some silicone caulk, so that's covered..

Comment

You won't even need to stick needles in it, the holes are big enough they won't get clogged by the solder.

When you put the new capacitor, you just reheat the solder, gently push the leads down, then maybe add a bit of solder so that the flux in the solder will make sure your connection is good.

Comment

Input caps are easy to replace because they have big joints. I would consider replacing the secondary filtering caps too if they are Elite. I have had some from CTL monitors that fail without showing symptoms or they have high ESR

Comment

WOW! Digi-Key ships FAST!!

Alright, I'm 'OK' with soldering.. and have a 20/40 iron. (should I use the 40 watt setting?)

I have normal flux, and a no-clean flux pen which I used to re-flow my PlayStation 3.. its like a paint pen.. I'd prefer to use it, but if you think I should use 'normal' flux, let me know.

The Fuse is also soldered..ugh.. no worries I guess.
                  Any last min tips on this?

For the Cap, (I know the printed band line running down the Cap is the negative lead).. getting that wrong would be.... explosive.

Thanks!!

Comment

Re: BenQ 24 Monitor FP241W - No Power (PSU Cap bad?)

Originally posted by Ziroc View Post
                    Been reading a LOT on this forum, and its amazing. I have learned so much.. (and I'm a tech!)

Anyway, I have this 5 year old BenQ 24 inch.. was using the PC and I hear a sizzling sound, then POP! Won't power up at all.

Open the back, looked at all the caps--no bulges (but that doesn't mean much).. BUT, I find on the power supply board that the one big cap (the Elite 450 / 120μF)
                    I can visually see the acid (brown rust looking stuff) trying to ooze out. The board didn't have any on it thank god.. every thing looked fine..

Looks a LOT like this image:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/...10603-1828.jpg

It's about 2 inches long.. 1/2 inch thick.. big one.

Other text on it is:

Elite 450 / 120μF
                    PW (M) 105c
                    (C)0623
                    and PET is repeated along the side of the cap...

It's a 'white' ceramic fuse--hate that-- info is T4AH (and or TR601) / 250V

I have a volt meter, but what settings should I use to check the fuse? 250 volts..? I am totally new to caps and this stuff.. I can build a PC blind folded, and have fixed a PS3 with the no clean flux re-flow, but this is beyond me, and I need help. You guys are amazing, and I thank you for this forum, and its members.

I'm just in love with this BenQ.. its the old 16:10.. (I bought a new BenQ, but Its a 16:9) and I really do miss that inch. lol... so If I can get this up and running, I'll be running 3D MAX with 2 monitors..
                    or playing Battlefield 3..

Thank you!! If you need a picture of the cap, I can go open it back up and take some shots.. I have a good DSLR.

Thanks again!!!

Ziroc
                    Check votage across main cap Elite 450 / 120μF should be reading 200 to 250dc
                    if main ac 110 volt .if 220 must show 300 to 350 dc otherwise replace new one.

Comment

Alright, I got the Cap on the power supply, and its set and ready..

BUT... issue with the fuse.. I ordered the digi-key fuse:

INFO:

P/N 507-1213-ND
                      5HT 4-R
                      FUSE SLOW 250V 4R 5x20

Ordered 10 of the ceramic's, it was cheap, so no biggie, but I THOUGHT the two 'end caps' on the fuse were able to bend back. nope, they were apart of the fuse housing I guess.. it LOOKED like the fuse was inside the end caps, and the wires went through the holes to the board.. (I'm a noob at this kinda )

So what should I order? Any links? I searched digi-key, but I was lost of all the settings and stuff.

At the end of each 'end-cap' were the words 'cono fuse'... if that helps .

If you need a pic of the fuse area and fuse, let me know. It broke, but I have the end caps, (I clipped the wires up to the fuse end caps, and tried to solder the leads to the fuse, but it didn't take.. I don't think you can, can you? anyway, one of the leads melted a bit, and need a whole new fuse 'unit' I guess.. lead wires, end-caps and fuse all in one. *sigh*.. I'm learning though, and it's so interesting to learn this stuff.

Thanks!!

(Found an image of exactly what it looks like below)
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Ziroc; 03-30-2013, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Ok, I found the pigtail fuse, all the stats were exact, got it on the board, tried to power it up, and nothing. zero power still.. the large cap and fuse are perfectly set on the board... any ideas?

I have a row of smaller 1000 caps, but none are bulging or leaking.. but I know that doesn't mean they can't be bad.. could it be one of those caps? or ..?? Please, any ideas would be immensely helpful.

Comment

From the photographs I'd swear that we're looking at the insides of a Dell 2407 - the power supply and inverter boards look identical visually.

There's a long thread on the Dell 2407 in these forums, might be worth a look ?

HTH
                          Robin

Comment

[I posted the info below in the thread on Dell 2407 power supply failures. (https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...l+2407&page=23) I thought it might be helpful to anyone with a bad power supply on a Benq FP241W]

Success reviving Benq FP241W

Thanks to the posts in this forum, I was able to fix my Benq FP241W that wasn't powering on and saved a few hundred dollars on a replacement. The Benq FP241W uses the same power supply board as the Dell 2407 and I noticed brown leakage at the positive terminal of the 120uF 450V capacitor (C605) and the ceramic coating on R670 was flaked off. I replaced the components listed by elvena, micdis and others. I didn't test the components to see what had actually failed - I just replaced everything listed below.

Component ID / Replacement Part / Digikey Part Number

C605 / Rubycon 450QXW120MEFC18X31.5 / 1189-1377-ND
                            Q651 / STMICROELECTRONICS - STP10NK60ZFP / 497-5892-5-ND
                            IC651 / STMICROELECTRONICS L6561D013TR / 497-4582-1-ND
                            R669 / Panasonic ERA-8AEB1021V / P1.02KBCCT-ND
                            ZD601 / Vishay TZMC15-GS08 / TZMC15-GS08CT-ND
                            IC601 / ON Semiconductor NCP1200D100R2G / NCP1200D100R2GOSCT-ND
                            R670 / Yageo PNP300JR-73-0R22 / 0.22AECT-ND
                            F601 / LittleFuse 0234004.MXP / F2692-ND + F1504-ND fuse holder
                            C622 / Nichicon UPS2A010MDD1TD / 493-5378-1-ND
                            Q654 / Fairchild Semiconductor MMBT3906 / MMBT3906FSCT-ND
                            D655 / Diodes Inc. 1N4148W-7-F / 1N4148W-FDICT-ND

As a precaution, I replaced these other caps on the power supply board:

C711-C715 / Panasonic EEU-FM1V471 / P12415-ND

and these three caps on the CCFL driver board:

? / Nichicon UHE1V221MPD6 / 493-1579-ND

I'd never de-soldered/soldered surface mount components before, so I practiced for a while using a dead board. I found I had to be careful when de-soldering ICs and SMT transistors to avoid tearing off the contact pads.

Comment

Working...
                            X