Dell E5500 stuck at config screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell E5500 stuck at config screen

Bought another E5500, was advertised as dead. Turned out it powers fine off both AC and battery but it has a strange problem.

Basically, at first, it would give "The amount of system memory has changed" message. Except where there's meant to be "strike F1 to continue" - there isn't. No option to do anything, it's just stuck there with a blinking cursor.

Tried different RAM, then a BIOS reset. Now it loads up to "Invalid System Configuration - please run SETUP program". Again, no options, just a blinking cursor.

I'd have thought a BIOS flash would be the needed fix, but I have no means of doing so, unless there's some way of doing it before POST (the same way some Aspire Ones with Insyde BIOSes do)

Cheers
    Dell E7450 | i5-5300U | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Re: Dell E5500 stuck at config screen

try turning UEFI off and set to legacy boot ????

check for internal battery too...

Comment

Fixed, as I suspected, the DVD drive was stalling the boot process

Cheers!

Comment

Okay the situation deepens. Turns out it won't boot from ANY HDD or ANY DVD. It just hangs at the same place.

Internal battery reads in at 3.1v so seems to be okay. Will try what you suggested

Comment

Nope still no dice. Dell diagnostic and logs show nothing either.

Anyone know how to do BIOS recovery on these? Another site suggests a method involving extracting the BIOS file to .bin, .rom and .hdr files, and then inserting the AC while holding the end key. It gets part way through it, the battery LED flashes red as expected, and then just goes onto a normal boot.

Do I have to format the drive a certain way for it to detect the files?

EDIT: If the "module bay" option is disabled, it doesn't hang with the DVD drive installed - the DVD drive still gets power but obviously the BIOS does not detect it. So I assume we aren't looking at a voltage issue here.
          Last edited by spleenharvester; 03-03-2014, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by spleenharvester View Post
            Do I have to format the drive a certain way for it to detect the files?.
            I used rufus a couple of times to make a bootable usb drive, then flash the BIOS. That was of course for desktop machines, never tried it for laptops.

Code:
            http://www.howtogeek.com/136987/how-to-create-a-bootable-dos-usb-drive/

Comment

Will try in a sec, it doesn't seem to be hanging with a USB drive plugged in so I may indeed be able to do it that way.

If that doesn't work, I think I'll start testing the resistance of the bad board compared to my good one on the SATA ports.

Comment

Flashed BIOS to A19 from DOS (typed E5500A19.exe /force it and hit enter) and amazingly everything works a treat now! I'm typing from it at this moment!

Also came with a WXGA+ screen which I can sell and basically pay the laptop off

Cheers Badcaps, great help as always!

Comment

glad to hear u have fixed it!!!!

Comment

Awesome, nice to hear it works!

Btw. did you use rufus to format the usb drive, had any trouble?

Comment

Didn't use Rufus in the end but 'cause I already had Win98 system files installed on a flash drive to use it with.

Success really I only bought it for the hinges and upper plastics because the ones on mine were snapped, got a lot more than I bargained for.

Comment

The blinking cursor is often the result of boot loader crud on the HDD. When the HDD isn't wiped correctly, at least the first sector, that issue can occur.
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Indeed, it often seems to happen when it's trying to access a storage device and gets stuck for whatever reason.

Comment

Working...
                          X