This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi. New here. Had a lot of trouble registering. They wouldn't let me use my user name
    but I'm finally here. I'm an old computer and TV guy. I still have a working Osborne.
    Been out of practice for many years so getting back into the hobby. Retired last year.
    I'm in Canada. I'll send a post about a LG 42" plasma when they let me. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Hi, found the site while trying to hack an old UPS to use as a solar powered inverter for my shed.

Comment

Hello everybody, I recently got a cheapo TV and I will make it my hobby to repair it. that is why i registered here in the first place
        Maybe i can contribute a little bit myself, gladly would do so. Well see you around then!

Comment

Hello, Just joining, I came here looking for TV help and thought this was the best place to ask. I am a Network Engineer specializing in Cisco voip including routing and switching. I hope someone can help me with this small project

Comment

Hello:
            My name is Jim and I'm from Lake Hopatcong, NJ.

I am currently working on a quad switcher power supply for my CNC machine. Going to replace the caps, hopefully that will fix it.

Comment

Hi, I am here to try to fix my TV

Comment

Hi, I am Mo'in from the Netherlands. Love tinkering with electronics but I am really a software engineer (healthcare). Husband and father of two and a dog called Sam. Came across this forum while attempting to fix the charging circuit on my wife's old mac.
                And eh.... I am not going to tell you what my first computer was, are you kidding?!

Comment

Hi badcaps members! i'm new in here and much impressed that i have a chance to say hello to you! my name is John Alex from Tanzania.. i to learn more and share what i know about troubleshooting different digital devices.

Comment

Hello everyone ...I am here in hopes that I can repair my TV ....Thanks to all in advance .

Comment

Hi i'm 48 years old and i grew with sinclair z80 spectrum, 128k, amstrad 512, ibm series, and so on until nowdays. I like all kind of electronic devices and i'm sure at the end all can be connected in a cheap way to satisfying our needs. Thanks to all.

Comment

>>FROM petabyte: Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net..
                        my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
                        So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.
                        and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up.. [/QUOTE]
                        ============================================
                        Hi All!
                        I grinned when I read this, fairly similar background -

Got moved from NY to Florida at 17 (to start Senior year). Some credits didn't transfer, so because of a .5 credit PHYS-ED missing credit they made am a Junior! Grrr.
                        They ALSO didn't have the advanced chemistry course I needed, so I ended up taking a 2 year / half day daily Radio & TV repair course, and fell in love.

Senior year, only needed credits in anything, so I challenged the 1st year test for the Industrial Electronics course next door, passed, and took nothing but Electronics for my senior year.

Went into the Navy (6 years, Nuclear Power at first, didn't want it for a career, then back to Electronics).

Puttered around in various Electronic repair shops in California and Ohio.

Bought a computer called the Interact (Whopping 5K of main memory, cassette tape storage! Whoot!). This was Pre-DOS. Hacked it up to 32k, and some other hacks and got started in Computers. Ended up back in Florida working for Wang Laboratories for 8 years, until Wang's #1 Son crashed the biz. Idiot thought PC's were only good as Terminals on a "real" computer.

Started my own Computer Consultancy, and still am at it. Sure miss the hardware repair days, don't get to do much now, mostly software.

Still tinker in Electronics. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!

Best to All!
                        PuterPro

Comment

Hello, I'm from Toowoomba, Australia (look it up on Google Maps). Came here from eevBlog.

I hate throwing stuff away, and love fixing.

Ozwolf

Comment

Hello,
                            Found your website through Google. Working on a Samsung 245BW with issues. Love riding roller coasters. Love troubleshooting electrical things. Thanks for any future help. Great site.

Comment

I'm new to this and have a vizio 70 inch e series model e701i-a3. I have backlights no picture no sound. Replaced t con, still no image. Got another main board put it in. TV powered up backlights come one and TV shuts itself off with the new main board in. With the old main board TV would not power off. This TV has been a mystery and any help would be appreciated.

Comment

New here very interesting site. Thank you!

Comment

Stumbled here from Google while trying to fix a laptop. I like to troubleshoot / fix hardware and software related stuff. I hope to get and offer help on this website.

Comment

Hi there,

this is a nice site, wish it was available 30 years ago

John

Comment

hi Iam glad to find a site that has all this knowledge looking forward to learning more about psu+mb

Comment

:Hi guy's
                                        I'm Allan, an almost 70yr old electronics engineer looking to keep abreast of latest technology.
                                        Live in UK interests are switch mode power supplies (large ones).
                                        I'm having limited success, need to know more.

Comment

Hi, glad to have this site that we can share knowledge and idea in troubleshooting.

Comment

Working...
                                          X