This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi guys! My name is Sam. My job is being a Chef here in Louisiana, however I've been a computer hobbyist since about 2000. Recently I've turned my attention to repair TV's and LCD's which is how I came across this site. Looking forward to learning from you guys!

Comment

Hi, Bernard from London, UK.

Comment

Hello and thanks to all who contribute here with the aim of helping others save money, time, and learn in the process. My name is Steve, I am a licensed gas fitter, oil burner tech, and professional HVAC tech. I FIX MY OWN SHIT! A failing LCD TV is just a little unfamiliar aggravation right now. So...I'm off to search for answers....

Comment

Gday
          Nick from Australia here.
          Came here looking for Samsung plasma schismatics. And some education on electronics.

Comment

G'day from Downunder.
            Rob S from Australia. I have a background in aviation electronics and am a licenced aircraft engineer that sees us working on some fairly heavy end electronics in flight displays and navigation systems. I can never pass up a bargain (read sidewalk shopping) and have an issue with how much "modern" electronic equipment is going into land fill. Need some help on various LCD TV problems.

Comment

My name is Erik. I'm a licensed aircraft mechanic and like to work on electronics in my spare time. I'm very involved with troubleshooting aircraft mechanical and electrical systems. Unfortunately, I have very little test equipment in my home to test board components for home electronics. I joined this forum in hopes to learn more and get assistance with troubleshooting the new age electronics.

Comment

Re:New Member ggrego@atvci.net (grego)

Hi guys I'm new to forums and this is only my second one to join so I have a lot to learn and I'm sure I will make some mistakes but, I will try to learn from them and move on.

I'm from "Cajun Country" in southern La near the sink hole if you've hear of it, and been here on a lake for about 10years and love it. I don't have a lot of formal education in electronics repair but, I do like the fix broken things and
                have some of the basics from a correspondence course in electronics (when vacuum tubes were in TV's) so that dates me somewhat and that's okay.
                I don't repair TV's for money but do it for friends and they pay only for the parts.

I bought ~250 computers from an online auction and have managed to get most of them working for resale but this TV thing is something new to me and
                I like it. Judging from my other forum Tom's Hardware I'm sure you guys have a lot to offer and I hope later I may be able to contribute a little something.
                For now I think I will be mining information from you and don't have a lot to offer you.

Hope you have a good day and I'm glad to be onboard.

grego

Comment

Welcome onboard, but using your email address as your username is not recommended here. It's a great way to attract spammers.
                  I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Hello, Name is empire1138. I enjoy figuring out how electronics and other device work.

Comment

Greetings All!
                      Just a general all around geek here.
                      Former IT guy that likes to take things apart and fix them.
                      Current project is a dead 2008 Hitachi P50X902.
                      Started by fixing my older Gateway (Faroudja) 24" monitors.
                      I see lots of smart guys here so I'll just sponge for a while.

Comment

Hi there. I'm Pierre from South Africa. In my first life I used to be an electronic technician but then moved into fruit export so nowadays I only do hobby electronics or try to fix things that's as old as I am (60)

Comment

Hello,, im new here, i have few knowledge about electronics and i think this forum could help me gain some ideas and knowledge for the future. thank you

Comment

Hi, im jeric gajds, from philippines, i have basic knowledge about electronics but no technical experiences so i wish you could teach or help me. thank you

Comment

Hi
                              My name is Steve and I live in the mountains of North West Georgia.
                              I am a retired Mechanical Engineer who also owned and ran my own Electrical Contracting Business for the last 10 years that I worked.
                              I've had broad hands on experience with Industrial Temperature controls, Burner Controls and A/C and D/C Motor Controls.
                              My reason for joining this Forum is to increase my knowledge of the actual inner workings of solid state electronic components, and to learn how to trouble shoot them.
                              It's a hobby now.

steve

Comment

BEHOLD! My name is Zoltar!

I'm a master of karate and friendship for everyone. I live in the exotic nation of CANADA!!! I spend most of my days down by the pier eating quarters and giving advice to young hoodlums.

I've used comp-uters for a number of years and have a strong background in UNIX systems administration. Recently I've been trying to get into electronics to expand my limited knowledge on the subject. My first task here will be to lure people into my pyramid scheme and get helping diagnosing a very sick 2007FPb (Dell 20" monitor) -- I suspect it's the ole "272 resistor issue" but I need to brush up on my multimeter skills to make sure.

Comment

Hi all. I am none of the above, I'm a toolmaker working mostly for the automotive industry. I do mostly plastic injection moulding these days but get fed up when electronic stuff breaks on me.
                                  When my LG TV went bang on me I spent more time studying the back panel moulding, the moulders had clearly had problems filling the top right corner as somebody had carved a chunk out of the 'b' surface, creating what we call a flow leader, it was as rough as a dogs rough bits, dreadful workmanship, although I don't suppose anybody else noticed, which makes me rather sad.
                                  Anyhow, there's a lot of clever people on this site, Ive leaned a lot, I've also now fixed my less than reliable LG TV and have registered here to post my findings. It may be of help to others. Andy Rudge.

Comment

Hi. I am having problem with my Magnavox tv power supply. Hope to find some help.

Comment

Hello

I am bob and need help

Comment

Hi everyone! Just a little bit a out myself. Im 31 years old and am a Computer Systems Admin. I have been working with electronics for 15+ years. I hold multiple certs including A+, MCSE and Security+. Hope to learn and meet some good people here. Thanks!

Comment

Name: Curt Granger
                                          Birthday April 20, 1966
                                          Married (2nd time), 1 grown daughter, and 2 grown stepsons.

I am primarily a vacuum tube amplifier technician and manufacturer (Granger Amplification). I've done this for 8 years. I build, repair, mod amps, as well as repair other pro audio equipment. I also do guitar work.

Previously, I worked for AT&T for 15 years, doing remote network administration and testing from a call/customer service center.

I graduated from a tech school with an Associate of Science degree in Industrial Electronics. There I learned electronics, and a whole lot about microcomputer technology that I've managed to forget about half of it. ;-)

I'm also a part-time professional musician. I play about 6-10 gigs per month. Have toured the country in several bands when I was much younger, but these days I mostly play acoustic gigs (solo or duo) around town. Don't like the road, and not much tolerance for all the BS in today's music biz.

I joined after searching online for TV repair tips. I was convinced after reading the one post I found that this site would be a great resource.

Comment

Working...
                                          X