X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi all,
    I joined up to this site after spending many hours trawling the internet and finding zip in the way of useful advice on repairs to TV's.
    I must say that first impressions are 'WOW', after having read some of the posts from others, and subsequently reading the replies and answers to technical issues, well firstly it hits me that there are numerous helpful members out there that think nothing of giving up their time in order to assist others and secondly that these members really know their stuff. The level of technical expertise that I have experienced from reading some of these replies beggars belief. I'm not stupid when it comes to component level fault diagnosis, being an industrial automation electrician myself, but this site just blows me away.
    Sorry if this sounds too much like a gushing OSCARS acceptance speech, I just hope that I can contribute in some small way to problems that others may have, and also have that reciprocated in the problems that I have.

Comment

Hello from Vancouver Island, my name is Zach. I'm new here and currently working on a distressed 42" Samsung plasma which is what led me to this forum. Cheers!

Comment

Well, greetings to all. I find myself, in my advanced age (I remember when we got our first COLOR TV, an old Sony 14" that lasted some 20+ years) opening up a number of my home appliances (Oven and LCD TV) and having to diagnose and fix myself. Cheap I am not, but frugal out of necessity...and as we all know, necessity is the mother of invention. I actually just last weekend soldered 15 capacitors onto a PSU, and hopefully didn't destroy it!

Wade

Comment

Hello all. The forum said I couldn't change my profile cause I don't have permission, but I did already make my first post. Weird.

Comment

Hello people. I'm an electronics graduate (yeah it doesn't help much). I repair as much as I can so I don't have to pay out. Those prices can skyrocket! This site has some very helpful information for me so far.

Comment

Hi

Chris from Christchurch in New Zealand. I am just trying to repair a monitor to learn about electronics and see what I can find out along the way.

Chris

Comment

Hey,

Had an LCD monitor give out on me a couple days ago and found this forum while looking for a fix. Definitely a lot of great useful info. Came here looking for advice.

Comment

Hi, I did some radio/tv repair work in the early 60's, Have a BSEET from DeVry, have 10 years Naval Electronics experience/schooling, have 25 years networking experience. Was a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) but let the certification expire.

Comment

Hi everyone! I graduated electronics technology in the Philippines 1995. In the Philippines because majority of people cant afford to replace their electronic/ electrical devices.. Repairing become my bread and butter.. I repaired, tv's, vcr's, amplifiers etc. i also got involved on my friend's business, installing PABX, paging system , nurse call and surveillance camera... Now living in the UK for 6 years, working at G care... Here we built proto types for different client,... I' m more of a hard ware guy,, i also started my part time, fixing phones, tablets, and Pc's, from installing OS and some hard ware repair.. I joined the forum cause I know I can learn more from other people and hoping that somehow I can share my experienced with others... Thanks

Comment

Hi, I'm here because I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with my LG plasma, found you guys while googling a solution. I'm from Seattle, work as a tech support guy, but I've never really dealt with TVs before.

Looking forward to searching your forums for an answer or asking so that someone else can see the same response later!

Comment

I'm nick from Nebraska. Just interested in seeing more on this forum. Seems like some pretty interesting stuff.

Comment

hello my name is john. im here to read and learn new things. i work on pretty much anything cars, computers, etc

working alot at my work on pcb repairs, build test fixtures, production assembly

Comment

Hello Eveyone,

Am new, just want to say hi

Comment

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
                              As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread \"clean\" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
                              So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
                              where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said \"w00t.. they have a forum\"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..
                              New to Badcaps. Accidentally found may way to site while searching for resolution to 4 beep a power failure on a Panasonic Plasma TV. I try to find solutions and fix or repair things myself when possible.
                              Thank you all for the forum.

Best Regards, Tom4772

Comment

Excellent forum. Trying to collect information to repair a monitor brought me to this forum, I a rookie as far as electronics concern and looking forward to collect knowledge and information!

Comment

Excellent Place to learn about repair, and get some help from others!

Comment

Hi Badcaps. Keep coming here after all the trawling through the net. Joined at last and feeling relaxed and happy at my descision. Good forum. One of the best for techies like me. Been into electronics since a kid and make a fair living at it these days. Qualified installer / inspector too these days so any supply questions welcome. Cheers. Thanks admin for keeping this board up. Such a valued resource.

Comment

Rick here - Used site for info for a while, just never created an account. Metrology experience from USAF in mid 70s. Got into software development back before PCs, when there were tiny gear-driven babbage machines inside the ICs, and steam powered. I remember the excitement of the early Heathkit when an EE pal made the 16k expansion board for them and we all bought one, so we could have 64k. I had one of the early Heath/Zenith hybrids that had both a Z80 side and an 8080 side (if I remember right), and could run both DOS and CPM. Why, I have no idea, but it supported color and was a rather pretty package. Fortunately, I sold it in a couple of years. Used both Macs and PCs at times, but in those days, we built the computers for our control systems. It was all proprietary, including the networking and sometimes even the power supplies.

I was a better project manager than programmer, much to my surprise (and everyone else's relief), so did that in industrial control field for many years. These days, sort of a quasi-tech, reluctant supervisor, supporting training systems for things that go bang. I'm surprised to find that the arcane stuff I know is actually useful. No one wants to learn about it though. They think these jobs last forever. Ha. Computer support will be so different within just a few years, those who don't self-learn will be buried. Failing to take advantage of so much free training and info on the net is lazy and stupid. Not that I have an opinion on the matter.

I have ongoing fits with various video cards, mobos, and other devices, and the site has been very helpful in identifying the good stuff and tips for dealing with difficult removals. Thanks so much!

Comment

newbie from Kansas looking for info to fix a tv,thanks in advance...

Comment

Hello Badcaps!

I'm not a component or electronic engineer. I guess you would call me an extreme hobbyist. Most of my projects are mechanical in nature (restoring old cars, rebuilding engines, ect.). But I'm getting more and more into building electronics (controls for cooling systems and such). I'm currently working on building a power supply for my up and coming electronics lab (if you can't build it yourself, what's the point right!?). I'm also working on a Dell monitor that is broken.

Anyway that's me. Look forward to working with you guys.

Thanks!
                                          The Engine Room

Comment

Working...
                                          X