This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

not that anyone ever reads these, but hello! Came here to troubleshoot a dead monitor and power supply that I'd like to fix.

Comment

Hi all. I stumbled upon this forum while searching for help on my network switch's PSU. Chuffed to be here!

Comment

You joined here to spam.
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Hello
          My name is George, I'm a new member.
          I live in GREECE and more specifically from Tripoli in the Peloponnese.
          Congratulations on your amazing website.
          I hope we have excellent cooperation.

Comment

I'm a newbie here also. I have always been a "do it yourselfer" for just about everything. Electronics always seemed interesting, but I really never got into it. I was trying to figure out the problem with my LCD tv and came across this forum on google. Looking forward to learning something here. I would love to be able to know what I was looking at on a circuit board. thanks.

Comment

Hello to all, a new member here, I only do electrical works before trying to avoid electronic stuff, especially those micro printed smds (unlike generators and motors that needless of a microscope just to read the tags)... until my moms microwave oven's 110v plugged into a 220's. Praying it be just a busted fuse. Then it turns out that the digital controller board is fried. Tried hard learning about electronics... after two whole weeks I finally got it fixed. Now got hoocked on this stuff... never thought that this will be addictive. Currently I'm trying to learn more electronic stuff specially how computer chips works and how to have them fixed/replaced, and this site is a big help. Thanks.

Comment

Howdy all! Just another appliance tech from the good old town of Ogden Utah. Brought here by a samsung tv. Helped me out. you guys are great!

Comment

Hi,I just joined the forum. I was having problems with a TV and found the forum and it looks like a terrific resource.

Comment

Hey guys new here hoping to get info on hanns g monitor

Comment

Howdy from the Ozarks, southern Missouri, USA. I EE'd in '73, returned to family agriculture business, have always dinked around with digital and personal computers, nothing serious. First touch with BAD-CAPS was when I decided to repop the caps on a motherboard. Caps arrived the next day via parcel post in an small envelope. I could not believe the fast response. Recently I found this forum while looking for a dead laptop solution. Found it posted here from "infllex" in Australia. Super!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hi, I've been building and working on electronics as a hobby since I was a kid in elementary school in the 1950's! I currently restore old tube radios as a hobby and try to keep my LCD computer monitors and CRT TV's going. I got into solid state just as transistors were first generally available to the experimenter, that was the fabled Raytheon CK722, which sold for 99 cents!

Just looking around this forum for the first time I see a lot of valuable information here and I know I'm going to be able to make use of it. Thanks for the opportunity.

Reece

Comment

Just wanted to introduce myself! Being a new poster. I'm really hoping to learn from the collective wisdom I've found here so far. I work in high tech. for a (gov't contractor) and am about to graduate with my AS in Engineering Technology. I'm certainly a newby here, but welcome the chance to learn.

I also DJ and Produce Electronic Dance music called House Music. Not the crap on pop radio, electronic music with soul. d~~b

Thanks for having me.

Originally posted by HarleyWrase View Post

I have a similar situation, though mine is more promising! I just hand-picked the same model plasma from a trash pile. I plugged it in and everything works! all inputs are funtional, as well as outputs... total score! Except randomly firing scattered red pixels throughout the display.

And suggestions? No idea about whether it was pulsed by lightning, would not know if it was.

But, if it's just a board... I scored!
                          Last edited by HarleyWrase; 12-06-2012, 08:23 PM.

Comment

I'm a newby to this forum, and would love to make the accquantance of all of you! I see so much knowledge, and I'm eage to learn from the collective!
                            I'm a Student of Engineering Technology, and will graduate in the spring 2013 with my AS, for starters. I work for (Gov't contractor "that's classified") so I'm a bit tech savvy, not seasoned, but enough to be dangerous. I was a tech on the Space Shuttle Program before the 1st wave of layoffs in '07. I've seen alot of amazing stuff.

In my spare time I DJ in niteclubs, and produce electronic dance music called House Music. Not the crappy noise passing for dance music on the radio today, but electronic music with soul. d~~b I also host an internet radio show that airs weekly around the world.

My current issue is with a viore pdp42v18ha plasma tv. I posted on a thread on this forum about a similar, issue involving the dancing red pixels o_O

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by kcraptor82
                            So I picked up this 42" Plasma TV that was hit by lightning. Took it apart and looked for the first obvious signs, like blown caps, etc. Didn't see any blown or bulged caps. The TV would turn on, but wouldn't be responsive. Only would show a darken screen that was slightly lighted, but I would see random little dots moving everywhere on the screen. So the TV would power on fine, but not display anything. None of the buttons on it work. Can't turn it back off either, have to unplug it. So I thought, okay, lets replace the power supply. The original one was making a clicking noise. Bought one off of ebay and installed it, same problem as before, but now has the normal AC power noise. No clicking or any other weird noises. So did more research and thought maybe the Control Board? I really don't want to just start randomly replace boards on this TV! Anyone come across this issue before?

I have a similar situation, though mine is more promising! I just hand-picked the same model plasma from a trash pile. I plugged it in and everything works! all inputs are funtional, as well as outputs... total score! Except randomly firing scattered red pixels throughout the display.

Any suggestions? No idea about whether it was pulsed by lightning, would not know if it was.

But, if it's just a board... I scored!

Please help, if anyone knows about where to being with this defect.

Thanks,

Harley
                            Last edited by HarleyWrase; 12-06-2012, 08:35 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

sorry for the double post...

Comment

Tech forum *** just what the dr. said to stay away from. I'm Ubuming, built my first computer in 1985, former NASA engineer (Cape Kennedy), worked and taught on the university & high school level. Network design, digital electronics if it plugs in and I can get a response I'm happy. don't get to come here that often. but what I see I like....

Comment

Hello, I am joining in and posting this in effort to gain access to the wisdom of these threads.

Comment

Hi everyone, glad to find this place. I have a lot to learn.
                                    thanks for letting me in!

Comment

May as well be honest. I was searching the internet for a solution to a broken Sun (Samsung) monitor & stumbled across this site. The first page I found provided a potential solution. I tried swapping the suggested capacitor & it fixed the problem!
                                      Not sure how much I can contribute as I started off in electronics but ended up in software/networking but I'll do my best to help where I can. Always been into computers - started on Sharp MZ80K 1 Mhz 8 bit processor with no HD - only 2x5.25" FD. It was the size of a house :-D, BBC, Apple IIe, Acorn eventually PCs arrived and then networks - Cambridge Ring @ 1Mbps, Token Ring, X.25, Ethernet. I've worked on loads of computer/network technology. I always take the approach that every problem can be solved & this website will certainly help with many of them! Great website!

Comment

Greetings!

Hi... I'm Charlie from Southeast Texas. Stumbled across your site today, and after burning through half my morning here, decided I would be coming back to visit and figured I should register.

Most of the electronics I play with are quite old, but I think that much of what's discussed here can be useful to me as well.

Comment

Hi all. This is technically my second post as I made my first one in a thread that was helpful to me in troubleshooting TV issues I'm having.

Anyway, I'm Northern Virginia (practically Washington DC) and am 23 miles away from the nations capitol.

I've always had a curiosity about electronics, how they worked. Even as a kid I would take apart "junk electronics" that my dad would give me (he had a small electonics store back then and got some cheap "Trade In' equipment from customers where some of it was perfectly good and some was cheap junk) these junk electonics and I would take them apart. Granted, there were times that I used a hammer to take them apart but that was when I was around 8 years old.

For the past 18 years (more or less) I've been an avid stereophile and I've been big on modifications of equipment, usually vacuum tube amplifiers and pre-amplifiers, but also some modern solid state stuff too.

It drives me absolutely batsit crazy if something isn't working and I'm not able to fix it so I more often than not will eventually end up fixing the broken piece of equipment but it could take several weeks of trial and error.

That's pretty much what brings me here, it looks like lots of like minded folks here that I'd like to learn from and discuss with.
                                          There is nothing that man can build that man can not repair.

Comment

Working...
                                          X