Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Viore PDP42V18HA hit by lightning! Now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viore PDP42V18HA hit by lightning! Now what?

So I picked up this 42" Plasma TV that was hit by lightning. Took it apart and looked for the first obvious signs, like blown caps, etc. Didn't see any blown or bulged caps. The TV would turn on, but wouldn't be responsive. Only would show a darken screen that was slightly lighted, but I would see random little dots moving everywhere on the screen. So the TV would power on fine, but not display anything. None of the buttons on it work. Can't turn it back off either, have to unplug it. So I thought, okay, lets replace the power supply. The original one was making a clicking noise. Bought one off of ebay and installed it, same problem as before, but now has the normal AC power noise. No clicking or any other weird noises. So did more research and thought maybe the Control Board? I really don't want to just start randomly replace boards on this TV! Anyone come across this issue before?

Re: Viore PDP42V18HA hit by lightning! Now what?

Well, you replaced one board already. There's only a few left that would cause this problem. I'd say I was kidding but thats not far from the truth of how I'd handle that one. Sometimes in fixing lightning strike stuff, the destroyed components are easy to find however the stressed ones barely work and are on the threshold of not working.

To make a long story short, I'd fix it since it's nice big screen, but I'd troubleshoot to board level and replace instead of component level.
    The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

The tuner is most certainly fried due to the EMI pulse through the cable and/or antenna connections.
      Fair chance everything is fried.
      -
      Lightning struck equipment is rarely a good 'investment'.
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by kcraptor82 View Post
        So I picked up this 42" Plasma TV that was hit by lightning. Took it apart and looked for the first obvious signs, like blown caps, etc. Didn't see any blown or bulged caps. The TV would turn on, but wouldn't be responsive. Only would show a darken screen that was slightly lighted, but I would see random little dots moving everywhere on the screen. So the TV would power on fine, but not display anything. None of the buttons on it work. Can't turn it back off either, have to unplug it. So I thought, okay, lets replace the power supply. The original one was making a clicking noise. Bought one off of ebay and installed it, same problem as before, but now has the normal AC power noise. No clicking or any other weird noises. So did more research and thought maybe the Control Board? I really don't want to just start randomly replace boards on this TV! Anyone come across this issue before?
        It's a pity you purchased a new power supply before asking; the symptoms indicate a problem with the small signal board rather than the TV. The two logical points for lightning damage are the antenna (or cable) input and the power lines. The fact that the TV could not be turned off points to the small signal card (which contains all the control logic).

I am always uncomfortable about attempting expensive repairs on equipment with lightning damage. By it's very nature problems can show up anywhere in the TV.

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
          Lightning struck equipment is rarely a good 'investment'.
          If you are patient and lucky, my local kijiji has an ad for a name brand working 40 inch plasma (3 years old) for $100 CDN. This deal won't last long (when I saw it was 4 hours old). I'm thinking about getting it!

Most people who sell used LCDs/plamsa have NO CLUE about depreciation and what a new one with warranty costs. Their ad says we paid $3,000 3 years ago for this 42 inch. AND they probably did.

However they are asking $800 to $1000 for a used model. Today, 42 inch new LCDs or plasmas go for $600 CDN with warranty.

PS. I missed out on a free non working 52 inch LCD TV a few months ago. Owner who gave it away said there was no power and they could hear clicking!
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Well, I went ahead and replaced another board. Picked up a Logic Controller board on Ebay pretty cheap and thought what the heck. Got it today, installed it, and still the same. I really don't know what to do now. Could the screen itself be bad? It still powers on with no response, and shows like little red dots flicking everywhere on the screen. Could I of gotten a bad power board? Someone told me to check the voltage coming out to the zsus, etc boards.

Comment

Well, I went ahead and replaced another board. Picked up a Logic Controller board on Ebay pretty cheap and thought what the heck. Got it today, installed it, and still the same. I really don't know what to do now. Could the screen itself be bad? It still powers on with no response, and shows like little red dots flicking everywhere on the screen. Could I of gotten a bad power board? Someone told me to check the voltage coming out to the zsus, etc boards.
              Someone posted this old chestnut in the 'display' subforum earlier this week.

One night a man is on his knees, searching for something under the streetlight. He asks a passerby to help him, he's lost his car keys.

The passerby joins him, and after several minutes of fruitless searching, asks 'Where did you lose your keys?'.

The first man answers 'Back there, in the middle of the block.'

The passerby, bemused, asks "Then why are you searching here?"

The first man "Because the light is better here".

Now, it's probably obvious to you that the best chance of finding something is by searching in the area it was lost. It should also be apparent that choosing a replacement board because it was 'pretty cheap', rather than 'because it was one of the two possible causes of the problem' is pretty foolish.

The board that is most likely to be the cause is the 'main unit'.

PlainBill
              For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Well, send the boards back and demand a refund. Cut your losses now. Wait till you can find a fixable one on craigslist. Hopefully it will be an LCD. How much have you spent on it so far?
                The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

Well, had a few shops tell me that it could be the controller board, so that is why I bought one. I have no intention to just randomly replace parts. It was only $44 on eBay. The power board coast about $130. So that is all I want to spend now on this unit. I might have to pull the boards and sell them back on eBay.

Comment

Well, had a few shops tell me that it could be the controller board, so that is why I bought one. I have no intention to just randomly replace parts. It was only $44 on eBay. The power board coast about $130. So that is all I want to spend now on this unit. I might have to pull the boards and sell them back on eBay.
                    One thing that is confusing about plasma TVs is they have two boards that often have very similar names. I will use the Philips terminology.

The Small Signal Board has the tuner, all the video and sound inputs, as well as the processors that turn the power supply on and off, change channels, and do all the video processing. The video output of the small signal board is a cable that goes to the Main Logic Board, which takes the video signal and interprets it to control the X, Y, and Z cards.

Other companies have their own name for the Small Signal Board. Main Board, Control Board, are often used and it is very easy to get confused by the names. Terminology I have seen on eBay is 'Tuner Board', 'Main Unit', and Logic Board. And there is one guy who is selling a Main Logic Controller.

PlainBill

Comment

Well, I totally feel like an idiot. I started to go over the tv like hardcore. I looked everywhere on it. Found out the Y SUSTAIN board had a bad spot on the bottom. Looks like one of the components had a blow out. I took the board out and it had electronic blood all over the back of it. So I really hope replacing this board will fix the unit. All other boards from inspecting them seem to be okay. No burnt spots, or goo, etc. They are all clean.

Comment

Could you post a picture of this board with the defect (front and back). This board may be repairable.

Comment

I took some pics of the board. Well the area of the problem. They are not the best, but I didn't have a really good camera.

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/a...2/000_0011.jpg

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/a...2/000_0005.jpg

Still can't believe I missed that!

Comment

I'm not as good as I should be at troubleshooting but something tells me that this 5 Watt resistor may not be the only defective component. I hope for your sake it is. That would be a very easy fix. If my resistor color codes havent escaped me, I'd say it was a 5 Watt 220K Ohm resistor.

Instead of posting the board on another site, please post it here using the "Manage Attachments" on the posting page. If you could take a few more pictures of the whole board then we can assist you with looking into this more. We have to see what other components are in line with that resistor as well as find any fuses on that board.

Comment

Can I chime in, The resistor is a (220K 1watt) and the (electronic blood)
                              is normal. It is left over flux, etching chemicals, from the manufacturing process
                              The stuff is none conductive and thats what really matters.

Comment

Thanks for the correction. I'm a little rusty with some stuff.

Comment

None of the buttons on it work. Can't turn it back off either, have to unplug it. So I thought, okay, lets replace the power supply.
                                  I have no experience with troubleshooting plasma TV's (so far). I'm wondering what board would control the input from the power button? I know I have seen in LCD's that it comes in on other boards and not the power board. I tried to search for a service manual with no success.

Comment

Originally posted by Dgtech View Post
                                    I have no experience with troubleshooting plasma TV's (so far). I'm wondering what board would control the input from the power button? I know I have seen in LCD's that it comes in on other boards and not the power board. I tried to search for a service manual with no success.
                                    On every plasma set I've seen it's handled by the "TV board". The name varies with the manufacturer; Philips calls it the Small Signal Board. Main board, input board are other possible names. Remember that the plasma panel and the various buffers, sustain boards, etc., and the power supply are usually provided by the panel manufacturer. The TV manufacturer provides the tuner, signal processing and control functions.

PlainBill

Comment

I have a similar situation, though mine is more promising! I just hand-picked the same model plasma from a trash pile. I plugged it in and everything works! all inputs are funtional, as well as outputs... total score! Except randomly firing scattered red pixels throughout the display.

And suggestions? No idea about whether it was pulsed by lightning, would not know if it was.

But, if it's just a board... I scored!

Comment

Also, I'm not trolling posts, this seemed to be the closest to the issue I'm experiencing... Best of all with my problem is that there are no power control issues, at all... all buttons input, menu, and volume and channel controls all function perfectly!

Just need guidance on determining the cause of the red pixel static.
                                        Last edited by HarleyWrase; 12-06-2012, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X