Vizio M70-C3 ... Help with Diagnosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vizio M70-C3 ... Help with Diagnosis

Compare the numbers on thee stickers between your original board and the two replacement boards. Your pictured board is a 674B

Comment

To be honest when looking at replacements I wasn't looking at the white sticker. Was using the white text printed actually on the board and maybe where things went wrong.

white sticker:
      original board - 674B
      replacement board 1 - 690B
      replacement board 2 - 664A
      They were all 0160CAP09E00

printed white on actual board:
      All boards
      CAP06 Main BD
      1P-0149J00-6012
      REV:1.2

Comment

thats a no-no, the white text printed on the board is just what they start with, then they populate it acording to need.

Comment

what is the panel number of the tv? should be on a sticker on the chassis someplace.

Comment

whats the first 9 letters of the serial number on the back cover of tv?

Comment

Serial #: LFTRSYAR3700007

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                what is the panel number of the tv? should be on a sticker on the chassis someplace.
                Is this the right one? See attachment
                Attached Files

Comment

ok, from what I see, I think both those boards will work, look here, notice it says these boards will work too and there's an arrow to even more beside it, looks like several will work: https://www.shopjimmy.com/vizio-y838...trsyar-serial/
                  Last edited by nomoresonys; 03-28-2022, 03:33 AM.

Comment

OK thanks for checking on this. So sure sounds like the boards I received are compatible but unfortunately bad.

So now going back to the reflow method and the original picture of my board... how do I handle the plastic covering the chips? Without removing them it seems I wouldn't be able to get the flux around the actual chips and possibly not hot enough?

Thanks for all the help and knowledge.

Comment

I'll have to leave that to the guys here that are good at reflows, unfortunately I killed the last mainboard I tried to do.

Comment

theres a pretty good thread on it I was looking at a bit ago, I'll see if I can find it.

Comment

theres one, looks like Howardc64 tested a lot of methods with it: beware the popcorn effect that can happen, I think that's what happened to me, I might have overdid the heat: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ht=oven+reflow
                          Last edited by nomoresonys; 03-28-2022, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your reflow. I took a look at that thread and has a lot of great info. I didn't seen anything specific regarding what looks like a protective plastic cover over the two main chips. I'll post over there and see if they have any thoughts. Seems like for a successful reflow I would somehow need to remove that to get flux in there. But who knows maybe I am not understanding what I am looking at. Thanks again

Comment

one method there, also check the bottom of the board, some you need to take some small plyers and squeeze the little plastic keeper to release it, not hard to do tho.

Comment

Originally posted by TroutCaptain View Post
                                Sorry to hear about your reflow. I took a look at that thread and has a lot of great info. I didn't seen anything specific regarding what looks like a protective plastic cover over the two main chips. I'll post over there and see if they have any thoughts. Seems like for a successful reflow I would somehow need to remove that to get flux in there. But who knows maybe I am not understanding what I am looking at. Thanks again
                                There is no plastic cover, that's part of the chip. The white square on the PCB denotes the edge of the chip. You should be able to see a tiny gap between it and the PCB.

Comment

That video is for heatsink removal, you don't want to remove that chip, just the heatsink if it has one. No picture so I was thinking you were referring to a heatsink.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                                    There is no plastic cover, that's part of the chip. The white square on the PCB denotes the edge of the chip. You should be able to see a tiny gap between it and the PCB.
                                    Thanks diff this is where I was getting confused. I wasn't expecting the chip to have that semi-clear look to it around the black center.

So an update... I reflowed the first chip, seemed to go well, reflowed the second chip and unfortunately slightly bumped the board right at the wrong time and the chip slid of the contacts a bit. I tried to do my best to realign but either way not good. Feel like its pretty much impossible at this point without more professional tools to get the chip back on in the correct spot without any issues. I think for now I am going to completely remove that chip and clean everything and then figure out the best method to DYI this chip back on and cross fingers. Obviously at this point this TV is a loss but I appreciate this forum and all of the great support and users. I hate throwing things away if they can easily be fixed plus the learning and fun that is also is involved with it.

Attached the picture for fun, so you saying there is a problem here? Haha
                                    Attached Files

Comment

i believe flux and hot air should float it back into position

Comment

It wouldn't be hard to get back into position but it's likely some of the balls are jumbled at this point.

Comment

Working...
                                        X