Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hisense 50R6E

Some info and some questions

Hisense 50R6E manufactured December 2018 and already a backlight failure. One of 48 LED's located on the top strip was open causing a total shutdown of the other 47. The backlights are wired in series and I suppose this means they don't incorporate a zener or other device to keep the set running if just one LED opens.

The white reflector shield was quite difficult to remove but doable with care - picture attached showing location of tape. The missing section was under the wires. Some sections of double sided tape seemed stuck better to the metal, and some to the reflector, but I tried to stick with one or the other.

I went ahead and replaced the one bad LED while waiting on strips to arrive and powered the set up with just backlights. It was kind of odd that when first plugged in and switched on the backlight voltage is 163 V with 475 mA of current. That lasts about 10 seconds with a brief off interval where it then changes to 380 mA. I suspect I will find the backlight setting at max when the set is reassembled. Current measurements were taken with a current probe.

So, the question is on the installation of the LED strips. This set used what appers to be a thermal adhesive, which I have also seem recently on TCL - pic attached. Is the consensus to repeat this process, and if so any recommendations on thermal adhesive product?

Or, just use a double sided tape, and if so any recommendations here on product that works well? I recently got a roll (pink) from shopjimmy and was kind of disappointed in that it was not spec'd in W/m-k on either the website or with the received product.
    Attached Files

Re: Hisense 50R6E

Hi RDC55,

I've got a very similar Hisense tv with possible backlight problem. Did yours behave normally albeit with bad backlight or (like mine) refuse to even power up?

thx

Comment

These are the notes I took, so I would say no it wasn't typical where you could do the flashlight test and look for menus.

No backlights
      Can see Hisense displayed momentarily and status light flashes when toggle pushed or remote power command, but can’t get menu or anything to show up.
      Checked LED’s with tester and got nothing, connector has a couple hundred volts and it’s only two wires, so one big series string

So it appears there is a feedback mechanism for the backlights, I had hoped to investigate that after the repair and share the information.

Comment

Thanks for that.

Interesting. Usually the tv operates as normal without backlights as far as I have ever known.

So, I guess I'll have to take the screen off and have a look inside...was really hoping not to do that.

Will update...

Comment

Or invest in a backlight tester. They are not very expensive and provide some reassurance that pulling the screen is the proper next course of action.

Comment

All done. Lo and behold it was a blown LED.

If the remote had functioned I would have solved it in a fraction of the time...and wouldn't have bought spare parts.

So, anyone out there with same TV....don't rule out an LED failure when the TV won't even power on.

RDC55...I'm just doing this one as a favour. I'm not in the TV fixing game any more. Without your post, I'd still be wondering what on earth was going on. Many thanks.

Comment

Good to hear you got it going. Reading back over my post in #3 I should have been a bit clearer that I was using a flashlight to look for video, and the LED's never even flashed, which they are not going to do if just one is open.

Comment

Working...
              X