Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vizio P-Series 4K tv with temporary sound and no picture P652ui-B2

Originally posted by kca View Post
    Since I’m having some trouble affixing a jumper wire ....

I’m wondering, just temporarily, can I simply drop some solder between R009’s two pads to form a connection? Is that both effective and safe to do with the intent, of course, of subsequently powering on the set?

I just want to see if I can get a picture to show on screen when R009 is successfully jumped and C114 is bridged for the time being by a monolithic cap.
    That will be fine, that method is used on many products.
    BTW, for small wire, I just use one of the strand from stranded 24 ~ 26ga wire.
    Last edited by budm; 11-16-2018, 12:28 PM.
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Thanks, budm ~

It took me a while, but I managed to get a small jumper on the R009 pads by taking a tiny sliver of axial lead off of the 1uF monolithic cap and slipping it onto the pads. It definitely is working in the intended was as a jumper wire as I tested it several times and got the signal continuity beep each time.

Please see the pictures below.

They show the R009 jumper fix along with the following combinations of temporary monolithic cap on C114:

1) Photo #1 = I tried the 2.2uF cap first and it did not produce a picture on screen. Same old same old. Sound yes / Picture no (just black screen) and power cycling on and off every two minutes, approximately. Was hopeful that now I had the R009 jumper restored that I would see a picture or at least something different. No dice.

2) Photo #2 = Tried the 1uF cap next. Same exact result that I just wrote about. No change/no improvement.

This C114 is reading a consistent 1950 now (in Diode/Continuity mode), with the set powered off, no matter if I utilize and measure the 2.2uF or the 1uF. Interestingly, the reading jumps over 2000 and back to 1 the instant the set is powered on.

Despite the shabby way some of the surrounding caps and resistors look due to my soldering efforts, they all continue to test with the same values as when I first took off the bezel. That's an important plus.

I thought this was a clue of some sort, but as I reported in an earlier post, there is a quasi-mirror image cap way over on the right-hand side of these bottom panel boards that behaves in the exact same way. So, I don't think it is signaling that C114 is necessarily running outside of range. Also interestingly, though, is that all of the other ceramic caps I tested nearby keep their value whether or not the set is powered on.

Does that mean anything?

I was really convinced a couple of days ago that C114 was the culprit because a) it looked physically damaged b) it read erratically on the DMM ~ most of the time no value and every once in a great while it appeared to read 616 and c) it appeared to be the only cap on the entire stretch of the bottom boards, left and right, that was giving a strange reading that could not be associated with any kind of patterned readout.

Not saying that C114 still won't be part of the fix picture, but it wasn't the sole problem apparently.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, having said that, I haven't tried the 4.7uF monolithic (temporary) cap yet. Maybe it is calling for something with more capacitance than the 1 or the 2.2?

Another thing I haven't yet tried is to put the original T-con board back in and try all of the monolithic caps once again. I'll probably do that as well later on today.

Is there anything else I am missing here? Anything else I can check, test, or try?

~ kca
      Attached Files
      Last edited by kca; 11-16-2018, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Sorry ~

Meant for this to be the order of the paragraphs in the above post:

1) Photo #1 = I tried the 2.2uF cap first and it did not produce a picture on screen. Same old same old. Sound yes / Picture no (just black screen) and power cycling on and off every two minutes, approximately. Was hopeful that now I had the R009 jumper restored that I would see a picture or at least something different. No dice.

2) Photo #2 = Tried the 1uF cap next. Same exact result that I just wrote about. No change/no improvement.

Despite the shabby way some of the surrounding caps and resistors look due to my soldering efforts, they all continue to test with the same values as when I first took off the bezel. That's an important plus.

This C114 is reading a consistent 1950 now (in Diode/Continuity mode), with the set powered off, no matter if I utilize and measure the 2.2uF or the 1uF. Interestingly, the reading jumps over 2000 and back to 1 the instant the set is powered on.

I thought this was a clue of some sort, but as I reported in an earlier post, there is a quasi-mirror image cap way over on the right-hand side of these bottom panel boards that behaves in the exact same way. So, I don't think it is signaling that C114 is necessarily running outside of range. Also interestingly, though, is that all of the other ceramic caps I tested nearby keep their value whether or not the set is powered on.

Comment

Hello all ~

At it again this morning with the tv. Me and Vizio down by the schoolyard.

Well, as I continue to test and focus on the C114 cap, I found one other anomaly that I thought was worth noting here:

It involves the mirror image IC's you see in the photos below.

Photo #1 is the IC on the left, not far from the C114 itself
          Photo #2 is the IC on the right, only a few inches from the right-hand edge of the tv.

{Photo #3 is just a wider-angle view of the left IC. And photo #4 is a wider-angle shot of the right IC.}

These IC's are definitely mirror image SMD components in many ways, and all of the pins on each test in exactly the same manner except for the fact that the pin that I've circled in red which rests on the left IC reports a reading of 1870. Every time I test it I get this same reading. I'm doing so in Diode/Continuity mode, with the black probe grounded to the chassis. None of the other pins on either IC provide any digital, numerical readout that holds steady except for this single pin.

You can see how its trace runs over to the 3-pronged SMD transistor, through the C002 marking.

Now, the mirror image IC back over on the right-hand side (Photo #2) also has a mirror image trace running down to its nearby 3-pronged SMD transistor, but that one does not have any reading.

So, in quick review, each IC has 14 pins ~ 7 on the left edge and 7 on the right.

But, .... the right IC has NO other pins that read anything steady while the left IC has this singular pin (again, it's circled in red in the 1st photo) that consistently and coherently keeps reading 1870 and it holds steady there for as long as I maintain contact with the probe.

(By the way, there are two corresponding pins on each that are clearly mirror images of one another and both signal continuity, as expected. Assuming those are ground pins.)

Does that mean there's a chance this IC on the left could be problematic?

Note: I tested all of these 3-pronged transistors in a meticulous, mirror-imaged manner, and they all test out perfectly fine and definitely matched from the left side of the board to the right.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by kca; 11-17-2018, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the IC chip pictured above.

Can that be the cause of the half picture? Is that worth changing out?

Comment

Also, as an update, I have now tested all three of the varying capacitance value caps (meaning, the 1uF, the 2.2uf and the 4.7uF) in combination with the original T-con board and with the T-con board purchased from China.

There is no substantial change in the tv's behavior. After much patience waiting for the blacklights to activate, they did so with all six of the combinations. One time, they lit up after only 3 on and off power cycles. With a different monolithic cap / T-con combination, it took 10 or 12 cycles, and with another yet it took approximately 50 cycles in order to see the lights. So, there is little or no rhyme or reason as to why these activate, but they always seem to do so given enough time and opportunity.

The one consistent thing about the LED lights is that, so far, once they have activated one time, they have never come back on a second time (or more) within that same trial. I always have had to eventually unplug the set in order to have any chance of a reactivation of the lights.

The fact that all six monolithic cap / T-con combinations noted above, in concert with the fact that I have tested and re-tested all the caps, the resistors, and all of the other SMD's on the bottom panel boards across the entire 65" stretch of the width of the tv multiple times now and found no other (obvious) faults, { ... see final note below ... } leads me to believe that the problem might actually be in the ribbons that lead from the Digital Main Board down to the T-con or in the Digital Main Board itself. I know before it was said that both of these scenarios were unlikely, but it's looking more and more like that may indeed be the case after all.

The only anomaly I can find at all on the bottom panel boards is the one noted above in Post #104 concerning the SMD IC chip.

Not absolutely sure if the IC chip is labeled as 17824DA (with a 1 to begin the sequence or maybe it's a capital I or maybe even a lower case i. It appears to be a lower case letter i.

but this link may be of use (it''s the Datasheet for the IC chip in question):

http://www.datasheetcafe.com/i7824da...p-14-intersil/
              Last edited by kca; 11-19-2018, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Don't think I ever posted a video of the half-screen issue for this 65" Vizio, so below is a link to show others what it looks like. Tv was upside down when I shot this, so it may look a bit disorienting, but it makes clear what the "white / pink / green" side of the screen looks like when it periodically appears. Video also shows the working half side in operation.

https://youtu.be/vTGLIS4jtpk

Hoping that it might trigger someone's recollection about a similar issue they solved or have insight into.

Thanks much ~

kca

Comment

You have a faulty main board!

The symptoms of turning on with no picture or backlight is common for the following models:
                  P502ui-B1
                  P502ui-B1E
                  P552ui-B2
                  P652ui-B2

The symptoms of the half screen showing discoloration such as what you have been experiencing is also a main board however we have not seen that symptoms with the 50 inch version, only with the 55 and 65 inch models.

I do want to point out however that you will never fix these boards with an eeprom replacement. Not sure why some companies out there sell the eeproms, but don't wast your money on those, we already have.

We have had several of these TVs come in to our store front location, and have never seen these with anything but bad main boards with the symptoms you are experiencing.

Comment

Thank you VERY much for the feedback!

I greatly appreciate it. Really good to know that you have had successful experiences repairing this with a new and working Main Board.

I've been debating for the last couple of days if it could be originating in the Main Board, since the T-con I bought from China did nothing to change things and my SMD work trials on the panel board has also not had any effect.

So, can I ask what your success rate is with the 65" model after you put in a new Digital Main Board? Or, alternatively, how many have you been able to fix and have those only required the replacement of the Main Board and nothing else? Also, did some or all of the 65" sets you worked on have the intermittent pattern with the backlights that mine does, where they remain off about 95% of the time and then come on at very random and unexpected intervals?

I will buy a new Main Board, per your suggestion, and not mess around with the eeprom. But just for my own knowledge, is it the eeprom that is the only defective component that's causing this situation?

Note: If you look up at Post #104, I illustrated an IC chip on the lower panel board that I thought might be the cause of the problem. Do you think I can rule that out and just focus on getting the replacement Digital Main Board instead?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

~ kca
                    Last edited by kca; 11-21-2018, 01:40 PM.

Comment

I just wanted to clarify but the eeproms on these main boards in our experience have never failed. They will NOT be the source of your failure for the symptoms you are experiencing. Replacing the eeprom will NOT fix your board since the eeproms on these boards do not fail. They are in our experience always fully functional. The failure is due to other parts of the module malfunctioning. I was just suggesting to avoid buying repair kits for these boards as several retailers sell them, but they will not fix your problems.

Per our experience of seeing more than 5 of these of all different sizes with the exact same symptoms you have, we have always fixed them with main board replacements.

If you are skeptical, or unsure of the sellers, just make sure you purchase a main board with a return policy.

Comment

I understand now re: the eeprom. Thanks for the clarification.

Good to know you've had success with 5 or more. That is good enough for me.

I found a replacement Main Board online and here are the details:

791.00D10.0001 Vizio TV Module, main board, 748.00606.001M, P652UIB2, P652UI-B2
                        Your Price: $84.24

Quantity in Stock:1
                        Availability: Ships Same Business Day by 4PM EST
                        Product Code: 791.00D10.0001

Is the $84.24 a good price, in your opinion, or is there a way I can get that more inexpensively?

I have already written to the company about a small, but may be important(?), discrepancy between their worded listing and the photo they've posted (see link below).

I'd like to know your opinion if this is important or not.

Their worded listing reads 748.00606.001M, as you can see up above b/c I copied and pasted that information here, but their photo actually shows a board that reads 748.00602.001M.

The board I am replacing also reads 748.00606.001M, with the 606 designation, as you can see from the photo of it I've posted below.

Does that matter at all, in your experience? I'm thinking it probably does not make much of a difference but would feel better about making the purchase if I'm sure. Here is the link to the website where I found the potential replacement part:

https://www.tvpartstoday.com/791-00D...00d10.0001.htm
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by kca; 11-21-2018, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Well, bought the Main Board after the company confirmed that it should work.

budm ~ I have a question for you. Assuming I get the full screen picture after I put the new Main Board in, do you think it is safe for me to just leave the small piece of axial leg on R009 as opposed to trying to get an actual 0 Ohm resistor back on there?

I don't think I'll have any real problem replacing the 0802 cap labeled C114 with one of those I already purchased at the local electronics store. It's big enough for me to easily manipulate.

But the 0 Ohm (0402 package) resistor is so small that I'd rather just leave the SMD situation as it is with this small piece of axial metal working as a conductor if it's safe to do so in the long run. Is overheating over time an issue if I leave it in place? If need be, I can attempt to replace it with the correct SMD resistor.

I've included an image below of the way it looks right now.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by kca; 11-22-2018, 10:18 AM.

Comment

"budm ~ I have a question for you. Assuming I get the full screen picture after I put the new Main Board in, do you think it is safe for me to just leave the small piece of axial leg on R009 as opposed to trying to get an actual 0 Ohm resistor back on there? " That will be fine to leave the jumper wire in place.
                            Never stop learning
                            Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                            http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Good to know. Thank you. I figured it was probably okay as these axial leads suffer through much higher temps on other boards than they are likely to experience on this lower-left hand corner panel board.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me so far. I’ll update this again when I get the new Main Board in and give it a try. Still not quite sure which value cap to use for the C114 SMD capacitor, but I’ll try the 2.2uF first and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick's Tvs View Post
                                I just wanted to clarify but the eeproms on these main boards in our experience have never failed. They will NOT be the source of your failure for the symptoms you are experiencing. Replacing the eeprom will NOT fix your board since the eeproms on these boards do not fail. They are in our experience always fully functional. The failure is due to other parts of the module malfunctioning. I was just suggesting to avoid buying repair kits for these boards as several retailers sell them, but they will not fix your problems.

Per our experience of seeing more than 5 of these of all different sizes with the exact same symptoms you have, we have always fixed them with main board replacements.

If you are skeptical, or unsure of the sellers, just make sure you purchase a main board with a return policy.

In your experience with this line, are one of the symptoms a fading power indicator upon startup? Comes on with power up, but then fades after about 8 secs?
                                I have a p502ui-b1e that I have changed every board, but to no avail...same symptoms as orginal post. No video, had sound. Changed, tcon, main, psu and led driver...thinking I may have purchased a bad main now?
                                Any insight?
                                TIA

Comment

My LED power light indicator (white, in the lower-left hand corner of the set) does come on and does a very quick fade of less than a second and does so about 8 seconds in. Not sure if it’s fading as much as it is simply turning itself off. So, very similar if not the same to yours. This is after I hit the power button on the remote.

You may have purchased a bad main. Hard to tell. I think it could be in the panel boards down at the bottom b/c if any of the SMD’s are faulty down there then it may be denying the picture. Could also be the ribbon connectors, though this is less likely yet.

You are saying that there is no picture whatsoever, though, right? Different than mine which is a half + half picture issue and one that only appears on very intermittent occasion. I have hope that the Digital Main Board might well be the fix for mine because I am getting the half picture to appear and that it is nearly flawless when it does.

I’ll let the rep from Nick’s TVs and/or others answer, as they are still likely more insightful than I am at this juncture.

I will post again after I try my new Digital Main Board, and that will give you some further insight into what may be happening with yours.
                                  Last edited by kca; 11-25-2018, 10:42 AM.

Comment

The light fading away is normal when the TV is plugged back in for the first time after being disconnected from power. It doesn't seem like it on the users end because this only occurs when the TV is first plugged in. Most people don't disconnect their TV from power every day, so they never see that light fading away that way.

Comment

Thanks, Nick ~

{I’ll call you Nick, even though I’m not sure that’s actually you. }.

I’m wondering if you could help me decipher something. Do you have a capacitance meter and could you measure the C114 cap that rests on the bottom left-hand side panel driver board? Of course, I’m assuming you have a Vizio P652ui-B2 in the shop at this time, which you may or may not.

I’ve got all three values of ceramic SMD cap (the 1uF, the 2.2uF, and the 4.7uF) at the ready, but I’m not sure which one is the true and accurate replacement for the cap I took off the board at location C114 a couple of weeks ago. It is an 0805 package capacitor. It's also possible that it is a different value cap than any of the three I just mentioned, but others on this board recommended that it is very likely one of these three.

I’d really like to use the absolute correct value with the new Digital Main Board that is coming in the mail (probably tomorrow). Can’t really afford to make a mistake now being so close to the end.

If you don’t have a P652ui-B2 there in the shop right now, perhaps you’d have access to the Vizio Service Manual for this exact model. I have scoured the Internet for several hours trying to find it on my own with no luck or progress.

I’ve included 3 pics below to help you visualize exactly where this C114 cap rests on the lower left-hand panel board (as viewed from the back of the set).

Thanks, in advance, for whatever you might be able to do.
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by kca; 11-27-2018, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Hello Nick ~

Just wondering if you had a chance to read my last post (#118) and have any ideas re: the uF value of C114 on the lower-left panel board.

I'm nervous about putting in the wrong value cap and doing any kind of damage to this set. Hoping you, or anyone else, has a way of confirming the C114 value.

Note: I had the C114 cap I took off the board tested at a local electronics shop and it turned up a reading of .94. This would lead me to think that it's a 1uF, but if it's faulty then it might well be a 2.2uF or even a 4.7 uF and just giving a very low reading. I covered this back in Post #93 in this thread if you want or need to go back and look at that set of messages.

Hoping maybe someone has access to either a test set or the information regarding C114 via a service manual for the Vizio P652ui-B2.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
                                        Last edited by kca; 11-29-2018, 01:30 PM.

Comment

place a 1uf cap back on

Comment

Working...
                                          X