Panasonic TC-P55VT30 went out, 7 blinking lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic TC-P55VT30 went out, 7 blinking lights

While watching this TV tonight it just suddenly went off. I've read a few threads, no buzzing beforehand, to my memory I don't have the contrast set at a high level but I do have 7 blinking lights. I read that it may indicate a bad SC board, however I don't know what an SC board is and I don't have a service manual although I'm sure I could obtain one but not being able to read a schematic it might be a waste of $. I'm not a bench tech but I'm comfortable with a VOM and soldering irons, I'd feel comfortable removing and replacing boards but maybe not replacing components on today's tightly packed boards. At one time I was an installer at a marine electronics retailer in LA and some years later I sold and installed satellite TV systems so I'm not afraid to open the hood so to speak but I am limited. Is it most certainly an SC board? How would I determine this or do I even need to? I read a post indicating someone sent their SC board off for repair. Could someone direct me to who the repair shop is? I also read something about it's screws loosening over time and that replacement screws are advised. Given my lack of knowledge/skills is it advisable that I attempt to remove the SC board and have it repaired or should I just take the set to a qualified shop? About what is the cost to repair the SC board at the referenced shop assuming it's the culprit? At this point and it's age is it worth repairing or is it about to experience some other failure in the near future? I like the set and would rather not spend the $ to buy a new comparable set and given plasma's are no longer available, the time it would take auditioning sets to find what I might like.
    Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice.
    Robbie

Re: Panasonic TC-P55VT30 went out, 7 blinking lights

Check the attached file.

It is most likely the sc board and its fixable if you can solder! You need at least 85W solder iron or a good solder station.

Put your meter in diode/continuity mode and measure the outer pins of the fets on the SC board. They are labeled with Q6... and it says 30F131 on top. If you got a beep then replace all 6.
    The parts with the red circle need to be replaced. Not all on the pictrure just the 30F131 and RJP30H2A. ( 6 parts starting with Q6... )

The RF1501 ( diode ) and DAF30A read short because the other parts are short. If you got them in the repair kit then simply replace them also.

Replace all 6 fets with FGD4536TM or search for repair kit on ebay from GTVWatford.

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/PANASONIC-TNP...UAAOxy4t1SgROx

This will fix your tv 100% if you got a beep on 30F131.

Please report back with your findings

*Credit to alpengeist-tvrepair for the picture.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Moreno83; 10-12-2017, 12:35 AM.
    I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

Ps , the reason is indeed the screws on the sc board that are loose. Over time they got more loose because of the board getting warm/cold/warm/cold ....the board extends a bit and cools down which causes the arching between the board and the panel.

You can replace them with lockwasher screws but make sure the replacement screws are not to long or you will reach the back of the plasma panel. ( Happened to me once )

If you are good in soldering then also reflow the solder pads on the back of the sc board. You will see the pads are black because of arching.

After the repair tighten all screws on all boards and your tv will be as new!
      Last edited by Moreno83; 10-12-2017, 12:55 AM.
      I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

Thank you Moreno83. I'll get the set off the wall and open it up so I can perform the measurement. I'll be glad to report back with me findings. And Thanks for the parts link also.

Comment

Your welcome! Dont get a cheaper repair kit , there are many fake parts on ebay etc.

Comment

I got the board out today. All the Q6xxx FET's measured 47.2-47.3 ohms The Q4xxx measured 4.7-5.6 ohm except Q401 which was 0.2 ohm and Q403 which measured 0.3 ohms. D421 measured 0.1 and D401 measured 0.3 ohms.

Do you know anything about Calvin Warehouse on eBay? They offer a repair service for $62 or so including return freight, I pay freight to them. Looking at their website they sell the 30F131 part that looks to be the same part on the board and the same as GTVWatford offers. They suggested one measure the SC2 power connector, I did so and it measured 0.02 ohms. This service is about the same cost as ordering the parts form GTVWatford and it's here in the US.

Were you suggesting the 30F131 be replaced with the FGD4536TM?

I don't see any arcing on the screw points, well perhaps a very little on a couple but it could also be just rubbing marks but not clearly arcing marks. I did go through the whole set and tighten all the screws. Are the SC board screws long enough for me to add a lock washer to them when I re-install the board? Or can i use a spot of Loc-tight on them?

Thanks again for your help with this.
            Robbie

Comment

Originally posted by robbiesd View Post
              I got the board out today. All the Q6xxx FET's measured 47.2-47.3 ohms The Q4xxx measured 4.7-5.6 ohm except Q401 which was 0.2 ohm and Q403 which measured 0.3 ohms. D421 measured 0.1 and D401 measured 0.3 ohms.

Do you know anything about Calvin Warehouse on eBay? They offer a repair service for $62 or so including return freight, I pay freight to them. Looking at their website they sell the 30F131 part that looks to be the same part on the board and the same as GTVWatford offers. They suggested one measure the SC2 power connector, I did so and it measured 0.02 ohms. This service is about the same cost as ordering the parts form GTVWatford and it's here in the US.

Were you suggesting the 30F131 be replaced with the FGD4536TM?

I don't see any arcing on the screw points, well perhaps a very little on a couple but it could also be just rubbing marks but not clearly arcing marks. I did go through the whole set and tighten all the screws. Are the SC board screws long enough for me to add a lock washer to them when I re-install the board? Or can i use a spot of Loc-tight on them?

Thanks again for your help with this.
              Robbie
              They've been around a while can't comment . Even with the FGD4536 there'll be fakes I'd stick to major supplier DIGIKEY etc. Problem is I'm pretty sure they're out of production like most IGBTs. I trialled tese a few years ago now, and they are fine just the packaging is smaller so they need to be placed fairly precisely but easier to solder because they draw less heat.

This place , a little more but they do anything and read good reports http://www.ptselectronicsinc.com/TXNSC1NVUU/

Vast majority I've done, just those 6 IGBTs, but you can get an odd one needing more.

Have you checked the SS? At least half of the TVs I've touched had a shorted FET, Q102, that went out in sympathy of the SC. check it out

I t would be rare that there is no evidence of burning or arcing around the screw holes of the board. Look at the rear of the panel where it was mounted. Black spots, won't clean off, that's arcing. If none then so be it. important thing is to try and clean it all up and securely tighten the boards preferably with bolts and spring washers but ensure the thread length is no longer otherwise it may go through the panel. I've read of someone doing that, must have been long bolts.
              Last edited by tw2005; 10-13-2017, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Q102 on the SS board measures 46.8 ohms so I assume it's OK?. I didn't disconnect the SS board before measuring. Was it OK to do it that way?

I've attached pics of the connection points that that I now see arking evidence on. Easier to see in the pics than it was with a magnifying glass. These I feel I can reflow.

Anything else I should check?

I found two authorized repair shops in the Atlanta area on Panasonic's site, I might just take the board to one of them instead of shipping it to the eBay guy. I don't have a soldering station, just a 25 watt pencil and a couple of Weller guns. Nor do I have a de-solderer or a lighted magnifier so I think I'm poorly equipped to replace these parts.
                Attached Files

Comment

PTS looks to also be a viable option, Thanks for that lead TW2005 and for the suggestion to check Q102. The arcing seems minimal to me, but there none the less. Am I wrong about that?

Comment

If there is a K after 46.8 that's ok i.e. 46.8 Kohms(46800 ohms) if it's 46.8 ohms,that's shorted. And if it's between source and gate then on mine it about 47K ohms.yeah that's the burn those black bits. You would normally check the buffers for short between the otput pins and the ground pads on the sd/su , where th ebolts are that attach to the SC. Just good practice, chances are they're ok but not always.

Comment

Just put the meter in continuity ( beep ) mode. Put the propes on the outer pins , beep is bad.

I dont know if "Calvin Warehouse" is good or bad. They might have 30F131 or RJP30H2A but they can be fake parts also.
                      They ship the board back to you , you install it , board goes bang and the repairshop says you did something wrong and goodbye money.

Trust me and TW2005 as we say 95% of all 30F131 on ebay = FAKE.
                      Do a search on 30F131 on this forum , i had the same issue and wasted alot of money on fake parts.

You need a good repair set for this board and GTVWatford is a member on this forum from which we know has 100% original parts so you cant go wrong.

FGD4536TM is a good alternative for both parts and they are smaller in size and generate a little less heat. I got mine from hkinventory.com and mouser but as TW2005 says , there are fakes also.

You need a solder iron with a big tip ( like 400/450W ). Weller is good , im sure they will do the trick.
                      What i do is cut the outer pins with a little cut tool and add flux and solder to the big pad. Heat and solder flows directly under the FET and it will come off pretty easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Moreno83 View Post
                        Just put the meter in continuity ( beep ) mode. Put the propes on the outer pins , beep is bad.

I dont know if "Calvin Warehouse" is good or bad. They might have 30F131 or RJP30H2A but they can be fake parts also.
                        They ship the board back to you , you install it , board goes bang and the repairshop says you did something wrong and goodbye money.

Trust me and TW2005 as we say 95% of all 30F131 on ebay = FAKE.
                        Do a search on 30F131 on this forum , i had the same issue and wasted alot of money on fake parts.

You need a good repair set for this board and GTVWatford is a member on this forum from which we know has 100% original parts so you cant go wrong.

FGD4536TM is a good alternative for both parts and they are smaller in size and generate a little less heat. I got mine from hkinventory.com and mouser but as TW2005 says , there are fakes also.

You need a solder iron with a big tip ( like 400/450W ). Weller is good , im sure they will do the trick.
                        What i do is cut the outer pins with a little cut tool and add flux and solder to the big pad. Heat and solder flows directly under the FET and it will come off pretty easy.
                        400 -450watts ......Geeeezus..next thing you'll be using a spot welder. I got a 60 watt cheapie with a good tip that usually goes alright. Snip the legs and way you go with the pad. Once the heat soaks in because the copper land is usually a good heat sink

Comment

Haha i meant a solder station that goes to 400/450 degrees celsius haha. My bad.
                          The weller solder stations will do the trick.

I got a simple 85W solder iron , works good!

Comment

Hi All,
                            I decided that replacing the parts myself was beyond my skill set. Calvin had ok feedback on ebay so I sent the board to them. I just got it back and re-installed. Now I'm getting 8 blinking lights so there must be an additional issue. Can you tell me what 8 blinks represents please.
                            Thanks,
                            Robbie

Comment

8 would be the SS board.check q101 and q102. you might have to lift the legs of the parts to get a reading you can trust.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Thank You TVtimmy

Comment

Hi TVTimmy,
                                  I got the SS board out, both Q101 & Q102 measure 46.8 ohms on the outside legs. Is this what they should be? They also read 0.0 for continuity between the outside legs.

Comment

Have you checked the SS? At least half of the TVs I've touched had a shorted FET, Q102, that went out in sympathy of the SC. check it out

How do I test/measure Q102 to see if it also failed?
                                    I has the SC board repaired and now I'm getting 8 blinking lights.

Comment

You can lift one leg of those fets and check again. One ,or both is shorted. Tw2005 said 48k ohms is good,48 is short.

Comment

Working...
                                      X