Vizio E502AR LCD television powers on, then shuts off with a bright VIZIO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio E502AR LCD television powers on, then shuts off with a bright VIZIO

This is one headache of an LCD. If anybody else is trying to get into one of these things, the stand has to be unscrewed from the bottom and removed before the back panel can come off .

Anyway, the reason I've cracked into this thing is because it powers on and displays the splash screen, but then the panel and backlights shut off (nothing on screen at all; I checked with a flashlight) after a couple seconds, at which time the VIZIO at the bottom lights up white very brightly. It stays this way until the power button is pressed again, at which point the cycle repeats once more (brief display of splash screen, bright VIZIO).

Do these models shut themselves off like this if the backlights are bad? If not, what would likely be the problem? What does the bright white VIZIO mean?
    Attached Files

Re: Vizio E502AR LCD television powers on, then shuts off with a bright VIZIO

Have you tried disconnecting the main board and bringing up the leds to ensure you don't have a led fault.
    Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

I believe these do suffer from eeprom problems.
      I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

Mainboard and backlight troubleshooting

Originally posted by dick_barton View Post
        Have you tried disconnecting the main board and bringing up the leds to ensure you don't have a led fault.
        I hadn't. Would it just require the jumpering of some connections on the power supply in order to do this?

Originally posted by dskall View Post
        I believe these do suffer from eeprom problems.
        I saw a video of that on YouTube, but wasn't sure if it applied to this model as well. If the backlights check out, I'll have to explore that more closely.

Comment

With the main board disconnected some power supplies will bring on the backlights when powered up otherise you will need to jumper using 1K resistor STBY_3.3V to PS_On pin and possibly a second 1K from STBY_3.3V to BL_ON/OFF.
          Last edited by dick_barton; 04-26-2017, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Mainboard replacement fixed the problem!

Mainboard was indeed the cause of the issue. Everything is back 100% after replacing it.

Comment

My grandparents TV has the exact same problem. We tried holding down the power button for 60 seconds from a youtube posting recommendation after unplugging it, then plugging it back in, but that didn't work. It sounds like it might have a bad board. What would have caused this? Power surge? Drop in voltage? It's behind a surge protector. It was working just fine, we plugged in a coax cable from a VCR/DVD combo so they could watch something since their cable was out, watched the intro on the DVD, then shortly after it powered off and started doing this cycle every time we turn it on. It stays on for about a minute - then the remote stops working, the unit turns off, and the light turns on the front lights up brightly again. Turn it on with the remote or the button on the TV, and it does the exact same thing. I could see the board fixing it but it seems like it's a firmware issue that's causing the problem. Maybe they are having power issues that are causing their electronics to fail? Their cable went out almost a week ago and they've replaced two cable modems and two DVR boxes. So I'm wondering if they're not dealing with power issues.

Comment

I would do the test as in post #5 and post the results

Comment

Working...
                X