Panasonic TCP42S30 won't power up. 6 red LED blinks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic TCP42S30 won't power up. 6 red LED blinks

Hi there. New to this forum. But been reading a lot of posts and comments. Very informative and helpful. Ok here's my TV problem:
    Turned on the tv one day, heard the TV clock, then buzzed for a second. No signs of life on screen through whole process. Red LED flashes 6 times in sequence. Only way to sut down TV is to unplug it from the outlet. This fault was not gradual overtime. I took the back over off, and visually inspected the psb. No burn marks on surface. All caps looked normal except one. A 250v 300 uf top one on the right side- The top looks flat- kinda-Borderline bulging. Unplugged the TV for a bit, then tried powering it up again. I saw a green led flash on the ysus board and on the xmain for an instant. TV buzzed and clicked. No signs of life. Did some test with components unplugged. First unplugged the ysus from psb, then powered it up. That resulted in the TV repeating startup, And ending now with 7 flashes of the LED instead of the original 6. Unplugged TV, then plugged ysus in and disconnected xmain from psb. Plugged TV back in, powered it on and I repeated the starting process ending with the original 6 blinks. Then I did the same test with the main board unplugged from the psb. When trying to power up, there was no buzzing or clicking, no red blinks on the front or led flash on the ysus or xmain. I assume that the xmain was the fault so I took the board off the back to check it visually. I couldn't see anything that look suspicious on the board, but the back panel of the TV where the xmain was, is covered in a light sooty coating. I wiped a section of it and it came off cleanly. Assumed from my limited knowledge of electronics that something on the board maybe burning off. But I wanted to see if the condition was normal under some of the boards so I took a look under the ysus, and that also had the sooty residue under the majority of the area under it. I haven't test for voltage yet. But will do when I have a chance. But as of now any help or advice on fixing the issue would greatly help. Tia. �� can't seem to upload more than 1 photo...?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Cosy0201; 04-28-2015, 05:42 PM. Reason: Correction: I used the wrong terms for the ysus and xmain. It should be SN and SS resPectively
    " knowledge is power"

Re: Panasonic TCP42S30 won't power up. 6 red LED blinks

Here's pic of the psb
    Attached Files
    " knowledge is power"

Comment

Don't know ehy, but I cant seem to upload more than 1 pic per post/reply..pic is of the xmain..?
      Attached Files
      " knowledge is power"

Comment

Possible bad cap. Top one.
        Attached Files
        " knowledge is power"

Comment

Take it you have a meter?

That cap is fine, Seldom do PFC caps die

I can also most likely tell you that the SN board has failed, Very common that the IGBT's fail on these.

SC board is one opposite side to the SS board you have removed.

Remove the connector SN2 from the SN board and measure across the 2 pins in Ohms on the meter (Tv unplugged for 5 minutes) , I can bet my life it is shorted.

Repair of the board is the route you will want to take with this, The TNPA5349 is rare as rocking horse shit and VERY costly
          Last edited by newtothis; 04-28-2015, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by newtothis View Post

I can also most likely tell you that the SN board has failed, Very common that the IGBT's fail on these.

Remove the connector SN2 from the SN board and measure across the 2 pins in Ohms on the meter, I can bet my life it is shorted.
            Thanks for the reply Newtothis. Ohm reading is about 16.8 at the sn2 pins, if I id it right. 😁
            " knowledge is power"

Comment

Originally posted by Cosy0201 View Post
              Thanks for the reply Newtothis. Ohm reading is about 16.8 at the sn2 pins, if I id it right. ��
              16.8 ohms? 16.8Kohms? 16.8Mohms?

Easier way... Have a beep mode on your meter? Use that across the 2 pins on SN board, Does it beep?
              Last edited by newtothis; 04-28-2015, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Remove the connector SN2 from the SN board and measure across the 2 pins in Ohms on the meter (Tv unplugged for 5 minutes) , I can bet my life it is shorted.

Repair of the board is the route you will want to take with this, The TNPA5349 is rare as rocking horse shit and VERY costly

Easier way... Have a beep mode on your meter? Use that across the 2 pins on SN board, Does it beep?
                I only have a cheap centech multimeter. lol. And it's 16.82k ohms.
                " knowledge is power"

Comment

How would I go about in repairing the board, testing which component(s) are faulty, and I'm at best, with basic soldering skills and tools?
                  " knowledge is power"

Comment

Also should the sooty residue under the sn and ss be any concern?
                    " knowledge is power"

Comment

Also should the sooty residue under the sn and ss be any concern?
                      Probably just dirt and dust.

Can you provide a picture of your SN board so others can see it too please.

Comment

Probably just dirt and dust.

Can you provide a picture of your SN board so others can see it too please.
                        The sn board..
                        Attached Files
                        " knowledge is power"

Comment

Can you repeat the above test on ohms on the connector for the SS board too

Also provide a pic of your meter so we can help with the settings.
                          Last edited by newtothis; 04-28-2015, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Here's another sn pic
                            Attached Files
                            " knowledge is power"

Comment

Can you repeat the above test on ohms on the connector for the SS board too
                              I have the ss board disconnected. Do I need to hook it back up first before testing? And the TV is no plugged into an outlet. Fyi
                              Last edited by Cosy0201; 04-28-2015, 06:13 PM.
                              " knowledge is power"

Comment

I have the ss board disconnected. Do I need to hook it back up first before testing?
                                No can test it outside the set

Comment

[QUOTE=newtothis;555015]No can test it outside the set[/QUOTE
                                  I am getting fluctuating readings going up and down with mm set at 2000k.
                                  1-2=800 and rising

1-3= 900 rising
                                  2-3= 70 rsing.
                                  I probe and reprobe. They are very different each time. Is my mm not functioning correctly??? I'm not 100 %. 😫
                                  " knowledge is power"

Comment

[QUOTE=Cosy0201;555020]
                                    No can test it outside the set[/QUOTE
                                    I am getting fluctuating readings going up and down with mm set at 2000k.
                                    1-2=800 and rising

1-3= 900 rising
                                    2-3= 70 rsing.
                                    I probe and reprobe. They are very different each time. Is my mm not functioning correctly??? I'm not 100 %. ��
                                    Check your meter battery just in case.

Can you provide a pic or link to your meter please.

Comment

[QUOTE=newtothis;555022]

Check your meter battery just in case.

Can you provide a pic or link to your meter please.
                                      Gonna replace battery..
                                      Attached Files
                                      " knowledge is power"

Comment

Set your meter to diode mode, Bottom click right 1.

Touch probes together, Does it beep?

Comment

Working...
                                        X