Olevia 237-S11 controls locking up losing sound etc etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Olevia 237-S11 controls locking up losing sound etc etc

I am working on an Olivia 237-S11 and it plays a few minutes then it loses sound or screen locks up or just goes blank. I turn it off and right back on and it starts working for a while. I have replace the 1000mfd and 680mfd caps on the power supply board. Has anyone else experienced this problem and found a fix for it?

Re: Olevia 237-S11 controls locking up losing sound etc etc

Sounds like an IC fault on the motherboard.

Pics?

Comment

I took the mother board out and examined it. Everything looked good on it. Upon looking at the power supply again with a magnifying glass I noticed the solder joints on the connectors were horrible. I re soldered all the connections and now it plays for about an hour and the screen goes black and the blue light comes on. I can turn it off with the remote and turn it right back on and it works. Now I'm wondering if I have an intermittent problem with the inverter board I have not taken it out and checked the caps on it yet I will also post pictures the next time I take it apart???
      Last edited by Taterbug; 04-14-2015, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Ok still working on problem. When unit is shutting down and I'm getting blue light in losing voltages on ps. I examined both inverter boards and saw no sign of arching or bad caps and solder joints looked good. I don't want to get into the buying boards without knowing exactly what is going on. Anyone have any suggestions??? Actually what I just did was unplug the X and Y inverter boards and am going to let it play with the backlight disabled and see if it could possibly be an arching or bad lamp problem.
        Attached Files

Comment

Power Supply still shuts down after playing about 30 minutes with both inverter boards unplugged. I am gonna replace the rest of the caps on the Power Supply Board. I checked a small 1 mfd cap with my capacitance meter and the ESR read 54 ohms. That seems high to me.

Comment

Power supply not going out now. It freezes up now and have to cycle power. I have replaced all caps on power supply and bridge rectifier. I have also replaced the caps going to power on the main board. Anyone got any more suggestions??? It play's about an hour and screen freezes .. Remote won't work. Is it hard to reload Firmware and is it even available for 237-S11???

Comment

I have no experience with these sets at all.

Sounds to me like a thermal issue on an IC, Tried heating/cooling main?

Comment

Just put fan on it to cool down power supply. Still playing. It was getting hot.
                Attached Files

Comment

If that's the problem I've got to figure out how to cool it down or figure out what's causing the over heating problem.

Comment

So its running for longer under cooling?

So should fail quicker under heat, Use a hairdryer to narrow down the area that is failing.

Comment

Actually it failed again right after I posted about using the fan. It just freezes up or screen goes white the have to toggle power and it will play one or two hours sometimes the freezes back up. Remote does not work or buttons on tv when it freezes up.

Comment

Finally Fixed it !!! It was a bad cap on main board. 1000 mfd 35 volt. Jackson. ( see photos for location I replaced it with the big blue cap.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Taterbug; 04-21-2015, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Here is what I replaced it with and location on board
                          Attached Files

Comment

Is the top bulged on that cap?

Comment

No , it was a nightmare to fix. I replaced EVERY cap in the power supply. It kept acting like a cap problem so I went for that one since it was tied to the microprocessor.

Comment

Good job on getting it working

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                  X