lg tv plasma rain damage black and green lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lg tv plasma rain damage black and green lines

hi guys, thank you for taking the time to visit this thread. i left the window open last night and the pouring rain didnt stay outside. came home and tv had turned itself on with maximum volume and the picture was there but covered in green and black lines(also very thick black lines) all vertical. turned it off and dried it out all day today but problem still exists. any thoughts? what can i check or replace? is it bin time? any information would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files

Re: lg tv plasma rain damage black and green lines

oh and its a PDP50G20001 model lg 50 inch

Comment

How wet did it get? front side or rear? I think the fact it's powered on in this condition it's probably all over. i suspect there actually large black vertical bands which is most likely water getting into and shorting out the panel ribbons at the botom of the panel and if so the panel is toast.

All I could suggest would be to remove the back and disconnect every connector, ribbon cable and inspect for moisture ingress and also any signs of corrosion, arcing or burning.
      isopropyl alcohol may help to clean and remove moisture.

the bottom ribbons on the panel pay close attention to, if there's any heatsinks on those don't run the TV without them install or else those ics on the ribbons will burn out.

PDP50G20001 sounds like the panel number, I'm unfasmiliar with LG but is it Pq30 or PQ60?

There may be a manual to assist with disassembly. Contents Insurance cover this maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by tw2005 View Post
        How wet did it get? front side or rear? I think the fact it's powered on in this condition it's probably all over. i suspect there actually large black vertical bands which is most likely water getting into and shorting out the panel ribbons at the botom of the panel and if so the panel is toast.

All I could suggest would be to remove the back and disconnect every connector, ribbon cable and inspect for moisture ingress and also any signs of corrosion, arcing or burning.
        isopropyl alcohol may help to clean and remove moisture.

the bottom ribbons on the panel pay close attention to, if there's any heatsinks on those don't run the TV without them install or else those ics on the ribbons will burn out.

PDP50G20001 sounds like the panel number, I'm unfasmiliar with LG but is it Pq30 or PQ60?

There may be a manual to assist with disassembly. Contents Insurance cover this maybe?

thank you for your quick response, ive exposed the card that runs along the bottom that the screen ribbons are attached to. there is evidence of a short circuit on a ribbon clamp. probably not economical to fix. could replace card and something else is wrong (though it is turning on)

50pq60d is the model no.

Comment

Working...
        X