Looking at fixing my T.V. - Panasonic TX-P42G30B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at fixing my T.V. - Panasonic TX-P42G30B

I'm looking at trying to fix this, as opposed to going out and buying a new one, as I'd really rather not buy a new TV right now - if I can't fix it, I'll just have to put up with it until I can buy one, so I'm hoping you all can give me a quick idea of whether I should spend my time tearing it apart and such.

So the tv has recently started having issues when starting up, it's most noticeable when my PS3 is first turned on, as the XMB ribbon gives it fits - all the white parts look almost like static made up of all the colors - red, green, blue, and white, this will go for a while (but only seems to effect moving white - if it's a solid white like EAs logo, no flickering).

I've also noticed that the top third/half of the screen looks faded, and is effected more than the bottom half/two thirds.

I'm kind of hoping it is going to turn out to be one of the cheaper boards that is the issue.

I'll be buying a digital multimeter tomorrow, as I don't currently have one, but it would be good to know where I'm starting, as I've read the tom66 guide on plasmas, and I'm not sure that any of the things he mentions there is my issue...maybe the sparkles one.

So does anyone have an idea of what it might be?

Re: Looking at fixing my T.V. - Panasonic TX-P42G30B

posting pictures of the back of your tv showing the boards with clear pictures may help you more with fixing your problem

Comment

will do - I'll take it apart tonight then, and try to get good pictures.

Comment

A video of the fault would help too. The sparklies section won't apply to your set as there is no way to adjust these Panasonic sets.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

TV issue: http://youtu.be/do9FUACJQ8M

From the preview on my phone its most noticeable during the dairy queen commercials fan food image that is loaded with white.

Going to tear it apart tomorrow after I buy my multimeter, don't need the TV on the floor overnight

Comment

Video is so low res and so poor cant see anything much!

How about some nice high-res. still images showing the problem?
            TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
            http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
            PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

I think I see it. right on top left and right of the cloud on the DQ commercial. First when I ran the video for a second, right at the beginning, it looked like a gamma chip problem? I had a TV last week that had a picture similar to that. Came to find out that there was some corrosion on the tab between the LCD and T-Con. I cleaned the tab and connector with alcohol, then put some deoxit on there, plugged it back in and all was well, gamma corrected.

Comment

Well, this is a plasma, so a gamma IC fault wouldn't apply.

I think it would be a good idea ot enter the service menu and check the patterns there: I'll have a look at how to do that on this US model
                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

didn't realize that it was a plasma.... ignore my other post. However I see what he is talking though on the DQ commercial.

Comment

4K TVIssue: http://youtu.be/m5AlEsGhqZM

There it is in 4k, that purple flickering in the white parts, forgot my phone has a HD option

Comment

I'd shut it down and check the SN board mounting screws. they could be loose and poor earthing. If loose, may be a good idea to look on the back of the board and chassis for arcing / burn marks.

Comment

The screws
                        Attached Files

Comment

also, If you have a meter that can measure over 200vdc, check what Vsus is set to.

Comment

Well I finally got time to take the T.V. apart - didn't feel any loose screws on the boards, and didn't notice any scorch marks anywhere.

I took pictures of the boards in the back - doubt anyone will be able to see anything from them, but if you do that'd be awesome.

I'd really like to keep this damn T.V., and am not looking forward to having to buy a new one.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X