RCA LED TV model # rled3258a-c

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RCA LED TV model # rled3258a-c

Doesn't turn on all the time, gotta unplug it multiple times for it to finally turn on.

I've replaced all capacitors circled in red, the ones I haven't are circled in blue.

Any idea what could be causing this?

The ones in blue haven't been replaced because I've run out of caps.

I only have a analog multimeter atm.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by christo; 01-13-2015, 07:46 PM.

Re: RCA LED TV model # rled3258a-c

It's a crap TV. probably the mainboard. Look at this thread it uses the same mainboard.
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32351

I have two of them with exactly the same issue. There is no signal from the mainboard to the LED driver board.

Don't know what is causing this on the mainboard. Baking doesn't help. In both cases it got progressively worse. Maybe bad solder joints on the BGA chips?
    Last edited by paulstef; 01-13-2015, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by paulstef View Post
      It's a crap TV. probably the mainboard. Look at this thread it uses the same mainboard.
      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32351

I have two of them with exactly the same issue. There is no signal from the mainboard to the LED driver board.

Don't know what is causing this on the mainboard. Baking doesn't help. In both cases it got progressively worse. Maybe bad solder joints on the BGA chips?
      I'll check the main board out, but i was almost certain that it was a power supply issue, thanks for the tip.

Comment

In both my cases all voltages from the PS are present. Once I turn on the TV it freezes and no signal to backlight circuit.

There is a small crystal 25MHz on it. Removed it to see if I could still turn on the TV. I couldn't. This means the uC is needed for power on but then it freezes for unknown reason. A similar failure is where it turns on the backlight and THEN freezes. Maybe it tries to communicate with eeprom or memory and it's there where it stops. Who knows. The set is so cheap, if we would want to troubleshoot the board itself it would be only for personal pleasure. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by paulstef View Post
          In both my cases all voltages from the PS are present. Once I turn on the TV it freezes and no signal to backlight circuit.

There is a small crystal 25MHz on it. Removed it to see if I could still turn on the TV. I couldn't. This means the uC is needed for power on but then it freezes for unknown reason. A similar failure is where it turns on the backlight and THEN freezes. Maybe it tries to communicate with eeprom or memory and it's there where it stops. Who knows. The set is so cheap, if we would want to troubleshoot the board itself it would be only for personal pleasure. :-)
          I'm gonna bake the main board for shits and giggles. I'm done trouble shooting the motherboard it must be something else

Comment

Hello, your symptoms sound like a bad eeprom on the main board. I have replaced many on these newer rca TVs.

Comment

I baked it in the oven 375 F for 10 mins, tv actually works better now but still not turning on every time, I had it turn on and off 3 times without unplugging it.

I might bake again see what the results are. If it doesn't take this time I'll look into getting a new board or a eeprom chip

Comment

Update, I baked it again, thing powered up and worked mint... Until i plugged my laptop and wii in to find out there's no sound xD.

I'm now going to take the main board off, look at the soldering joints for the the other board that clips into the main board. I hope it's a cold soldering joint or i'll be tossing it in the oven for a third time, I am making pretty good progress though just by baking it lol!

Comment

The caps don't like to be baked. There is a temperature rating on them. As hotter they get, less life they will going to have. Did you install the board, when it was still warm?

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                    The caps don't like to be baked. There is a temperature rating on them. As hotter they get, less life they will going to have. Did you install the board, when it was still warm?
                    No I didn't install when still warm I let it cool for 20 minutes and popped it in. I know the caps don't like to be baked because I had to replace 3 xD

I'm gonna pull all of them this time around.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                      Could the caps that I left on the board cause the no sound? I'm gonna replace those first before I. Bake it again

Comment

Just like to do my last update, I switched all the caps once over, still no sound.
                        After fiddling I realized I had two cords mixed up and put them in their correct location. Tv is up and running fine will report back if it messes up again.

Comment

Working...
                        X