Samsung LN46A500T1F Color Distortion problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung LN46A500T1F Color Distortion problem

Ahhh! perfect! Thank you. I'll post my results once I get it done.

Regards,

AD

Comment

Hi guys,

I received my IC yesterday, but I'm afraid removing the old one is not going well...I bought that chip quick removal kit, but the IC didn't move. So, as careful as I could, I use the fine tip of my iron to disorder and lift up every leg of the IC, I think I damaged one or 2 pads. Anyway...even with all 48 legs totally off the board, it still does not come off. How do you remove those things??

At this point I'm probably going to have to just buy the T-con itself, right?

AD,

Comment

It is possible the IC could be soldered from underneath. Hot air is really the only way to easily remove these, if they have a pad.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

ohh boy...I have a heat gun, but I'm not sure is appropriate for electronics, I might heat up a few inches around the IC and probably overheat other components. I'll browse around and see if I can find a T-con. shopjimmy.com doesn't have it for now.

Thanks Tom!

AD

Comment

What I do is I put aluminum foil around the tcon board and cut a hole where the chip is. Usually 30 seconds to a minute with a heat gun and it should come off.

If it is soldered to a pad, there are usually little holes on the opposite side that you can solder to heat it up faster also.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Glitcher, I will try that tomorrow and see if I can get it off.

AD

Comment

So.... Bad news.. Before I could succeed getting the IC of the broad, I got a Tcon replacement, and I put it in, but the TV still looks like crap. Unless the Tcon replacement is messed up exactly in the same way mine was, I think it could be something else. Any ideas?

AD

Comment

The way to check would be to make those gamma measurements again.

Just recently, picked up a 37" Sony with a gamma problem, which is actually my first. I haven't done one before. Should be a good subject for a video.
                  Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                  For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

OK... first of, please let me know if I'm understanding the numbers correctly according to the picture bellow... Is that the right order?

If so.... here are the values.

Volt 1 15.1
                    Volt 2 12.9
                    Volt 3 12.1
                    Volt 4 11.32
                    Volt 5 10.92
                    Volt 6 10.6
                    Volt 7 10.47
                    Volt 8 12.61
                    Volt 9 9.23
                    Volt 10 6.43
                    Volt 11 6.1
                    Volt 12 4.46
                    Volt 13 6.77
                    Volt 14 7.52
                    Volt 15 5.78
                    Volt 16 7.93
                    Volt 17 3.2

AD
                    Attached Files

Comment

From the voltages, looks like another bad tcon..
                      A lot of tcons are commonly misdiagnosed as coming from a "bad panel" so I wouldn't be surprised. It has happened to me before also.

They see something wrong with the picture, assume its a bad panel, and assume all the parts inside are good, working, and Then labeled as tested.

Comment

Did I interpret properly the numbers arrangement?

AD

Comment

Yep, you interpreted it correctly, and right there's another bad t-con. So yeah, did they claim to test it? They probably didn't...

Comment

they sure did... with "100% money back" if something was wrong, but I still gotta pay the shipping back though. I was wondering, could it be something on my TV that is making Tcons go bad?

AD

Comment

Failure rate of these T-cons with AS15 or AS19 IC is incredibly high.

Nothing wrong with your panel if picture is OK aside from colours. Seems swapping boards is often ineffective due to the high failure rate.

Comment

that takes me back to the work bench then...I'll go back to try to get the chip off the original board. After all I have already the new chip here.

Thanks Tom,

Comment

Hi everyone, I need help with my LN46A500TIF Samsung TV color Distortion as well ... however, I do not have Solarized Distortion. I would like to replace the parts myself if it is feasible.

*I do not have Cable, Use OTA to watch TV, Netflix, Chromecast, & Blue Ray

TV Settings: MUTE 182 Power
                                  - LVDS Out format has to be set at JEIDA.
                                  -- If LVDS is set at PDP or VEGA, the image produces Solarized Distortion.
                                  - TV is set to "Movie" not dynamic.
                                  -- when the TV is set to "Dynamic" the pixels have less distortion.

Color Distortion: using OTA
                                  - On OTA HD channels, there is significantly less noise/distortion of pixels.
                                  - Images with light colors (white,cream, bright blues, yellows, or pastels) do not have pixel issues
                                  - Images with dark colors sometimes have blue speck outlines instead of black
                                  - sometimes images look completely normal (no noise/distortion of pixels)
                                  - On non-HD channels, the black colors are shown as green or red pixel specks.
                                  - Images never look normal
                                  - channels are noisy.

Color Distortion: Using Netflix
                                  - Pixels do not interpret the red color correctly. (displays as pink or orange-ish)
                                  - I do notice kind of a "heart-beat" in the pixels.

Visually inspected MB & Power board:
                                  - caps are not bulging
                                  - caps are not leaking
                                  - didn't notice any issues with masking or solder but I'll have to recheck that
                                  - disconnected connector cables to Power board & reconnected to see if that would fix the issue, nope.
                                  - disconnected the connector to the TCON board and reconnected, did not fix issue.

Overall TV Never has these symptoms:
                                  - I do not have any bar lines (vertical or horizontal) on the screen
                                  - I do not have any blocks of missing/empty colors/pixels
                                  - I have not had any problems with my turn turning on/off.
                                  - Audio works fine.

**** Looking online, this problem seems like it could be related to CFLs, TCON, or Power board.
                                  - I was going to take a scope to the caps on the power board but I don't know how I could get a reading off of them the way they are soldered, so I haven't done that yet.
                                  - I was thinking of removing the caps on the power board and checking their capacitance I'd rather do that as last resort to see if something else may fix the issue.

The less distorted picture is an HD channel. The heavily pixelated picture is from a SD channel.

--- I was informed that this maybe a main board issue, if so, can anyone direct me in the correct direction on what I fix. If it's too complicated or not worth it, I'll buy the board. ---

Thank you
                                  Attached Files

Comment

What firmware do you have?

Comment

um, IDK ... I didn't bother to even check that. How do I determine that?

Thank you Shinju.

Comment

Originally posted by mniemi View Post
                                        um, IDK ... I didn't bother to even check that. How do I determine that?

Thank you Shinju.
                                        Service menu or in the TV menu system, scroll down to the gear icon/ select SW update and hit the info button on the remote.

I am not saying it will fix it, but one of the first Sammy's I did after a cap job had artifacts in the screen after power up. I did a quick firmware search on Google and found that Samsung had one that was a two part install, one for the main processor the other was for the co processor. After doing the 2 part firmware upgrade the picture didn't have artifacts but instead looked like it was on acid (not solarized) I was like SHIT, made it worse but after another 10 minutes of research others ran into this too. It ended up changing the LV settings from VESA to JEITA (this was a known bug with Samsung's firmware for that panel) so all I had to do was go change it back and poof it was back to normal no issues.

I am still using this same Panel today in our rec room so far its been perfect.

Make sure to follow the instructions perfectly, your issue look like the Toshiba I have that ended up being a color correction in the service menu tweak and didn't need any parts.

Right now I have another Sammy 37 inch that's got serious gamma,ghosting and picture retention issues due to a bad t-con!
                                        Last edited by Shinju; 04-24-2014, 10:00 AM.

Comment

I did do a software update and that did not fix my problem. I also have my TV in JEITA format due to the other two formats causing solarized distortion. However, I do not how to verify what software was installed onto the TV. Does anyone know how I can find that out?

Comment

Working...
                                          X