Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PLCD3283A TV shuts off then back on at random.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PLCD3283A TV shuts off then back on at random.

I have a proscan LCD TV (PLCD3283A) manufactured in 2012. Since the day I took it out of the box, it would cycle off and on at random times. Usually 3 times in a row with a 20 second gap between cycles. Sometimes once or twice but the majority of times it's in series of three, like 3, 6, 9 or even 12 times. it doesn't happen at a specific time nor can I find any patterns. It will turn off as soon as I started DVD or an hour into a movie or 12 hours after I turn the TV on. Sometimes not for days, but when it does, lately it doesn't many many times. No clicks or sounds. It just shuts off and starts back up again. On occasion it will lock up and I have to unplug it to regain control because its stuck on the blue "PROSCAN" screen. I decided to take the back off and didn't find any visual damage like bulged or leaking caps or major burn marks but what I did see was on the Backlight Inverter.(IV3201) A very noticeable discoloration all over the board like it was really hot for a really long time. (I attached pics.) Is this normal? Please send back any feedback as to the condition of the inverter and how to fix my problem. Thank you very much.

Re: PLCD3283A TV shuts off then back on at random.

You made some seriuos errors here.
    1 Buying it
    2 Taking out of the box
    3 Not returning it to the shop.

Post good clear pictures of the power supply and the inverter so we can see how bad it is.
    EDIT
    Either you have forgotten to attach the pictures or they are over 2mb and have been rejected.
    jpg is preferred format.
    Last edited by selldoor; 02-16-2014, 10:22 AM.
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Sorry. I tried to upload them then I lost them. They should be on now.

Attached Files

Comment

Ok - looks a bit hot around the mosfets but not burnt. They do get hot and
        qperhaps replacing the green caps would help- What make and series are they?

On the power board the Red Cap on the right looks a bit misshapen is does it have a part number on it? and is it the same as the similar size red cap on the left.

The whole problem may just be a heat issue does it work any better with the back off?
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Thank you. I didn't even look at the red one. I have attached a few more pictures of it. I have had the TV plugged in and running for the last 24 hours without the back on and it hasn't shut off near as much as it normally has. Most times when it did, I believe the furnace was on. It has shut off only once instead of three at a time. I will take the TV down and get the numbers off those green caps for you tomorrow. Again, thanks.
          Attached Files

Comment

okay, I took the tv down and looked at the caps on backlight inverter.I attached a picture of the green caps you mentioned earlier. I replaced those with Nichicon caps.

Now, the second picture is of the red film cap on the power control board. I tried to find a replacement in town but failed. I ended up looking and looking and looking online for replacement and finally found what I believe is the correct one. The cap from my board reads: "223J800" and underneath that reads: "NIS C91"
            What I make out of that is: 0.022uF 5% 800V. Would that be correct? Anyways, I'm about ready to order a Spraugue 715p "Orange Drop". (0.022uF 5% 800V) That is the only brand that I can find that makes that series of cap. It looks like an old vintage type used in guitar amplifiers. If you have any info war feel free to correct me if I'm wrong let me know.

Out of boredom, I replaced the original red cap in the power board to see if there was any changes in the way to TV acted. It is the same. Still shutting off.
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X